New Buyer - NSX or Ferrari 348?

About a year ago I sold my '91 Carrera 4 in order to fund my new house. For the past few months, I've been kicking around the idea of getting another sports car. I'm undecided between the NSX and the 348, both of early '90s vintage. As a background, I'm a huge Honda fan. I have a Civic race car for the SCCA Improved Touring C class, and a Honda CBR600F4i. So of course I'm leaning toward the brilliant NSX. My only question is - does this car get the kind of recognition that a Ferrari gets?

After quizzing many friends who weren't into cars, the general response seems to be that not many people in the world, besides the true car fanatics, know what an NSX really is.

Between the NSX and the Ferrari, I would of course pick the NSX as the better engineered, faster, and more reliable car. But is it exotic?

I know that this type of thing shouldn't really matter, but you do buy a lot of prestige when you buy a Ferrari.

If you are primarily concerned with what other people think, and you believe you can "buy prestige" with a Ferrari, get the Ferrari and be done with it.

If you are primarily concerned with what you want, then nobody else can answer the question for you. Research and drive both cars and decide which you prefer.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 24 September 2002).]

Originally posted by hondamike:
My only question is - does this car get the kind of recognition that a Ferrari gets?

The better question is who do you want that kind of recognition from? I'm not being short, but seriously, what are your goals with this car? If it's to tell people you own a Ferrari, or to have people you don't know do triple-takes (instead of the NSX-inspired standard double-take), or to pick up hot, young chicks (see prior thread...), then by all means get the Ferrari.

The NSX is a sleeper. It doesn't have huge brand-ID outside of car-people. It certainly is nothing close to that of a Ferrari.

But, the more you want to buy the car to drive, to live with, to enjoy, and if you even *mention* a budget--you'll never regret the NSX. There's a reason we're so fanatical about it. We *love* ours!

But, since you are concerned about perception, you should at least get an NSX-T. Many non-car people think that sports cars need to be convertibles...you might as well at least do that for them.
smile.gif
(Heck, I'd love a T, too!)

--Ed

I would test drive both first.

My NSX has been very cheap to maintain. I think I've spent very little this year on maintenance. (Oil/Filter changes, Fuel Filter ($60) change, Air Filter ($50), Coolant (~$13), Differential Fluid, 4-Wheel Alignment (did do at dealer for $80)). My NSX oil filters cost me about $9. (Clutch replacement is $2000 and tires do wear pretty quickly (10k miles)). I've only put about 2600 miles on my car this year so I can't confirm the 10k limit.

I wasn't really concerned about whether it was exotic so I can't help you there. I just knew I wanted one.

I would check http://www.ferrarichat.com for insight on the 348s.

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 24 September 2002).]

best advice yet, search ferrarichat archives for 348. after you do you first engine out service on the 348 you might have second thoughts about your purchase. otoh, as an f-car fan the 348 is the first "modern ferrari", fast and a looker. just know what you are getting into. since i participate in foc and fca events w/ an older car, most people i know wouldn't even consider an nsx, and all the crap that goes w/ 348 territory is just part of the gig to them. me, i can't afford 348 maintenance, parts prices, etc. you need to do your research and determine for yourself what is best. if not a daily driver, 348. if for daily driver, nsx. and i have friends who use a 348 as daily driver.

Originally posted by Lud:
If you are primarily concerned with what other people think, and you believe you can "buy prestige" with a Ferrari, get the Ferrari and be done with it.

If you are primarily concerned with what you want, then nobody else can answer the question for you. Research and drive both cars and decide which you prefer.

Well stated, Lud.

Do not expect anyone on this board to tell you go for the 348. The same if you went on a ferrari forum do not expect them to tell you go for the NSX. In the end it boils down to what are you more happy with? Take both cars out for a spirited test drive (if they allow you) and determone which is the right car for you. Driving 25mph around the block isn't going to help you. In which case rent each one for a day, by the end of the day you will know which one suits you better.

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
Do not expect anyone on this board to tell you go for the 348. The same if you went on a ferrari forum do not expect them to tell you go for the NSX. In the end it boils down to what are you more happy with? Take both cars out for a spirited test drive (if they allow you) and determone which is the right car for you. Driving 25mph around the block isn't going to help you. In which case rent each one for a day, by the end of the day you will know which one suits you better.

go for the 348 them things look sweet... j/k

Do not expect anyone on this board to tell you go for the 348.

Three of us just told him to do exactly that, based on what his preferences are.

And that figure doesn't even count smoore's humorous remark.

The same if you went on a ferrari forum do not expect them to tell you go for the NSX.

Maybe we're more broad-minded than they are.

(I know Allan is.
wink.gif
)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 September 2002).]

Nsxtasy the reason I said that was if you remember the last time the two cars got compared it was a disaster. I didn't want to start a flaming war. Anyways you guys are a bit more broadminded then the ferrari chaps.

If you don't go for the 348, you should look at a modified MR2 before considering the NSX.

In all seriousness, your gut will tell you what the right answer is after driving both. Do yourself a favor though... drive them hard and drive the 348 first.

For the masses, hands down the Ferrari will have more exotic recognition. You will sacrifice performance though. Only you can say which of the two is more important.

Provided you don't pick a lemon, you can't go wrong with either. Good Luck.

I had the same delima. Both can be had for 50k. Having owned a Ferrari and a NSX, the Ferrari wins in the name, flashlyness, and exhaust note. The NSX wins in cost to keep in running and reliability.

To me looks and performance is about a wash.

You have to decide if you are willing to pay and pay for the Ferrari image.

This time around, I chose the NSX and haven't looked back since.

A tune up for a 348 is about 4k.
Good Luck

you are right a tune up costs that much but you dont have to do that every year. That is for every five years and so it doesnt sound too bad now-it equates to about 800 a year. Also the cars are very easy to work on. but again drive both of them, and drive them hard. As a side note, if it is an early 348 (pre92) make sure the upgrades have been done (ECM upgrade, better alternator).

Three years ago I tested both (and a 911-993 and a old '92 or '94? Esprit). The F348 was crap for me, no joke, only the Esprit was worse (again Bill, for me). The Ferrari interior probably will make you laugh
smile.gif

The power was disappointing and the only nice thing was the exhaust note (now with my Tubi, the NSX sounds so much better than the OEM 348 I tested).

Really, take the 348 for a drive and you will notice that people will not notice it more than a NSX (of course it has to be red in your case).

The 355 is much closer to the NSX and the 360 is better than the NSX in almost all parameters... from performance to "wow"-factor.

If you want attention then I would get the Ferrari. When people hear Ferrari they think prestige. I notice that when people see my car the first thing they ask "Is that a Ferrari?" My next car is going to be a Ferrari, only because since I was a kid I have always wanted one and now my financial situation allows me to buy one. I would look more towards the 355 as I have heard nightmares about the 348 electrical systems. Only you can make the decision what you want to buy. Get whatever makes YOU happy.

Rob

having neither and driven both and being around plenty of both...if you like to drive your cars I would say HONESTLY go for the NSX. If name recognition really is that important go with the Ferrari. Although remember the NSX offers a unique opportunity for you to educte the few who have no clue and think it is a Ferrari and might even be seen and that guy with the RARE exotic car. Also as most have already said, the 348 will eat your new house and your marriage unless it's rock solid, in repair and maintenance costs. I don't care what the one guy says who drives his 348 twice a month...he may have little to no problems...but if you like driving your cars...the 348 will surely show you it's nasty side. And I'm not even talking about the driving experience.

Personally I feel the 348 a lot less balanced of a performer as well. Ultimately I love Ferraris and have since I was little, but being around them alot sure humbles one's opinions. I can't for the life of me bring myself to ever want one these days if it costs me my own hard earned money. It's a shame...but true. The NSX offers so much more in an ownership and driving experience it's comical to me to see it debated at times. But hey, it's all subjective anyway, and you asked for a subjective view. ^_^

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

scottjua, if you are referring to me as the one guy that says differnet, you couldn't be more wrong. First of all I own a 355 and second of all I know many many 348 owners who drive their car daily and have no problems whatsoever, change oil and fluids annually. Also I do not drive my car twice a month but very regularly and drive it quite spiritedly as well. As I have stated once before I have had more problems with the NSX than any Ferrari (even though they were minor, but problems nonetheless). If you find a ratty one it will cost you the house but the same exact goes for the NSX.

And most of you who are talking about performance, yes the NSX will out perform the 348, but who actually drives it to the limit on the roads. I sure don't. And from what it looks like the guy who is looking into both of them does not look like he is a track head so he will never explore the limits of both cars.

Originally posted by Lud:

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 24 September 2002).]
iamwithstupid.gif

Guys,

Thanks for the help.

I checked out the ferrarichat.com website also. Those guys seemed a lot less focused on actually driving their cars, but rather own just owning a piece of "the legend." Interesting. Also, there were many, many breakdown stories on that site. Something to put the two cars in perspective.

My next step is to try to get a test drive in the two cars.

For you Ferrari owners on this site - are the 348's as unreliable as the ferrarichat.com site makes them out to be? I've worked on many cars over the years, including my race car and my old Porsche, so the engine-out maintenance isn't as big a deal to me as the threat of constant electrical gremlins that can only be traced with a dealer's diagnostic unit.

ive said this on these forums before, and no one seemed to take notice. finds some exotic dealers who will talk to you honestly and ask them what THEY'D buy. the two guys i got to know both said the nsx would be their choice. best bang for the buck and much less costly ownership experience. now ive had the window regulator problem and the stereo amp problems with my nsx (91). so im not personally touting the 'its a no maintenance honda' byline. but i can tell you these dealers all thought the ferraris were full of continual problems. they all talked about the price of ownership.

if i didnt have to worry about the unexpected problems, id probably buy a 355, but im really glad i got the nsx. it may not capture the attention a ferrari does, but it is a beautiful, inexpensive maintenance, reliable high performance exotic. the only car to disprove that oxymoron among the exotics.

When making these comparisons I think its always worth remembering that you can find used 91-92 NSX's with 120k+ mileage all day long.

You can either think of that as amazing engineering on Honda's part, or a frightening lack of competence from the comptetition. Or both
smile.gif

Back