New Affordable Digital SLR [photography enthusiasts]

Today Canon announced the 300D(Europe)/Digital Rebel(USA) with an MSRP of $900 (body only) or $1000 with an 18-55mm (28-90mm equiv with the 1.6x multiplier) lens.

It's specs include:
-compatibility with any Canon EF lense
-6.3 megapixel sensor from the Canon 10D
-2.5fps drive / 4 shots
-1/4000th-30 sec + bulb
-100-1600 ISO

I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff...
I just thought I'd post this because the specs are quite amazing for the price and for $1000 the competition doesn't really stand a chance (digital SLRs hold quite an edge to "normal" digicams).

more info at:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03082005canoneos300d.asp

Out of curiosity, does anyone on Prime frequent the DPReview forums?

Attachments

• prime canon.jpg
    prime canon.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 424
ky650,

I would like to thank you very much for providing this information. I have been pricing digital cameras lately and I came to the conclusion that I would really like something that I could grow in to. Although I love the utility of the Canon Elph, I think I may need something I can actually learn photography with.

It says that it will retail at $900. How much do you think you could get a deal on one of these for? The vendors online tend to price their equipment at discount compared to the store you can physically go to.

Thanks

I would say that is a good but. I have the Canon 10D which I love. I notice this Rebel version is only a 2 fps, but unless you are shooting a lot of sports or motion, even the 2fps in the 10D is more than enough for me. I think you'd enjoy the 300D.

i got a olympus 2100C. it does everything an SLR.. it's only 2.1 MP though. but its enough for regular size pictures up to 8" x 10". these are specials cuz they have cannon lense in it.

but the camera you posted is definitely cheap for the stuff it has.

Edwardo,
When first released (mid sept i believe) it will most likely be going for MSRP. If it's anything like the 10D it will be hard to stock for quite some time. A year later the 10D can now be purchased at a few places for $1300-1400 (MSRP is 1500) - so if your'e lucky perhaps you can get a discount on the 300D/D Rebel as well. One thing I would avoid is buying from Dell however - I heard many horror stories about shipping dates and such (they had a good price though). If you're serious about getting into photography this is probably a good start. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

Chris K - I love my 10D too :D Saving some money for the 17-40L - I miss WA.

I just bought the Canon 10D a few weeks ago at Beach Camera in New jersey... $1329.00/Free Fedex 2 day. As for the silver plastic body .... i think a black body would have been more attractive especially since 90% of the EF series lens are black as well.But the price is great and i think its gonna be a big hit.

Beach Camera rules. I have bought 2 digital camera from them so far. Lowest combined purchase and shipping prices and nice folks too boot.

Sounds like a great deal for an awesome camera. I've been loving my D60 and everyone I know who owns the 10D (and I know quite a few who do...right in my office) have been equally enthusiastic. I'm guessing that this will eat into the so-called high-end non-SLR digital cameras...the image quality from these, especially when coupled with Canon L series lenses, simply can't be beat.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I just bought the Canon 10D a few weeks ago at Beach Camera in New jersey... $1329.00/Free Fedex 2 day.

Do you know if that was a limited-time special? On their website it is currently listed at $1497 for just the body which is definitely not a great deal... It's only $1425 on Amazon.com

Lud said:
Do you know if that was a limited-time special? On their website it is currently listed at $1497 for just the body which is definitely not a great deal... It's only $1425 on Amazon.com

If it was a limited time special i was not aware but you are right about the current price..... i use pricegrabber.com all the time to find out who has the lowest price to your door.If you call Beach Camera they may still give you the camera at the price i paid....If not im sure that price will come around again soon.infinity cameras is currently listing the camera at 1149.00 + tax+s/h....they list three d10's thou on there site.....this maybe a gray market camera because i also see another one listed as a 10D usa kit which list for 1499.00.

akira3d said:
...the image quality from these, especially when coupled with Canon L series lenses, simply can't be beat.

ditto, ditto, ditto!
but then again even an 'analogue' camera with L series lens look great... i love ur camera equipment eric!

Lud,
I've heard that some places are raising their prices on the 10D now with the release of the 300D/Digital Rebel. Just a heads up. I recommend going to the DPReview.com forums for the D30/D60/10D and doing a search on latest shops or posting a thread. There are a few places they recommend staying away from.

Back