New Accord Coupe

Ken,

I did some additional checking.

According to the brochures (and the downloadable from the respective web sites) fact sheets state...

1. The v6 Accord 6 speed cannot be had with the air filtration A/C option. Seems weird, but that's what the brochure states.

2. HID lights are standard with the G35 coupe.

3. Remote keyless entry is standard with the G35 coupe.

4. A/C with microfiltration is standard with the G35 coupe.

5. Dynamic handling (VDC) is standard on the G35 coupe.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I did not include destination charges, so that's probably why my number was lower. But you need to compare apples to apples.

Of course. That's why I used both figures WITH the dest charges.

Infiniti G35 coupes are also being nicely discounted too. How can you discount one car but not the other in a comparison?

You need to evaluate both cars based on what they're likely to cost. (Just like people should evaluate the purchase of a new NSX based on a price of $73-75K, not $89K.) I did not discount the G35 because of sabashioyaki's comment that they were selling for MSRP. If they are being discounted, then the typical discount reduces the difference in price between the two cars.

I took the list prices with no options.

I think it's fair to compare cars based on equipment that is normally included in cars in a given category. If you're buying a fairly luxurious coupe, you would expect to equip it with items like a sunroof, leather, etc. Most folks wouldn't spend $26-38K and ask for the "stripped" model. (Maybe you might, but most folks wouldn't.) So, in the spirit of an "apples to apples" comparison with the options that are most likely to be selected by folks buying these cars, it's fair to include leather and the premium package on the G35, to equip it similar to the Accord as much as possible. (I'm sure if you ask your Infiniti dealer, they will tell you that most G35s are going out the door with sunroofs and leather.) Granted, anyone can buy a stripper G35, but that way, you will end up comparing a still-more-expensive G35 that's not all that well-equipped with an Accord that is.

And for the enthusiast shopper, a $6K premium over the Accord for those features might just be a reasonable tradeoff.

Certainly anyone's trade-offs are a personal decision based on preferences, priorities, and financial circumstances. However, I'm not sure that even the enthusiast shopper wouldn't want a sunroof and leather and such. For a daily driver, I sure would. For a daily driver and sometimes track car, I would be looking at cars other than these.

PS: I know you love Hondas, so do I. We just bought a new Honda tonite for my better half.

Congratulations! Which one? How does Sunny like it?

According to the brochures (and the downloadable from the respective web sites) fact sheets state...

I used the listings on Edmunds, so it's possible that they may have had inaccuracies. The manufacturer websites and brochures are usually pretty accurate (but not always so; the NSX curb weights were reversed in error for several years on the Acura website).

1. The v6 Accord 6 speed cannot be had with the air filtration A/C option. Seems weird, but that's what the brochure states.

Yes, it seems weird. I can't download the brochure, so I'll have to take your word on it.

2. HID lights are standard with the G35 coupe.

And they are a very desirable feature that is not available on the Accord. (It's standard on the CL-S though.)

3. Remote keyless entry is standard with the G35 coupe.

As it is on the Accord.

4. A/C with microfiltration is standard with the G35 coupe.

Perhaps Edmunds is in error on this. Regardless, dual zone climate control is NOT standard and is part of the premium package, according to Infiniti's website.

So, what you come down to, is that the G35 is considerably more expensive than the Accord. Discounting on the G35 might make that difference $10-11K instead of $11-12K, but that's still a big price jump for two similarly-equipped cars. For that, you get 40 hp and HID lights; most other differences between the two models are minor or subjective, aside from the substantial price difference. Again, whether those differences are worth paying $10-12K for depends on personal preference and priorities. Some folks might take the Infiniti, and others might take the Accord.

I'm just saying that it is possible to purchase a G35 coupe for just about $4K more than an Accord V6 6 speed.

Sunny and I purchased (ordered) a metallic/pearl Orange Honda Element. We're selling her 1995 Odyssey. It's a nifty car and it suits her. She doesn't surf or camp, but she does go to flea markets and the rubberized floor, wide cargo doors, make it much more suitable to carry "stuff" as opposed to 4-6 people (which we rarely do). She also likes the funky design and the 4WD.

photo_08_large.jpg

She wasn't a fan of the typical SUV and we frankly liked the 1st gen Odyssey more than the present design, which is more like a conventional large minivan (although it's probably the best of that category).

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 18 December 2002).]

LOL, this thread is crazy, and I guess to be somewhat expected considering that the NSX attracts Honda fanboys like bees to honey. Nothing Honda does could ever be challenged by lowly Nissan or lowly Toyota right?
smile.gif

Here's reality from a person that OWNS both the best Honda coupe of the planet, and the best Nissan coupe on the planet (exluding the R34-GTR of course) the G35c:

1. The G35c is insanely capable at high corner velocities, I don't doubt the multiple mag skidpad test results above .90g that its garnered since its introduction. It's suspension is fab, as flat in the twisties as my stock 3.2L NSX-T, possibly more. You've got to drive it to believe it. Car and Driver said this month that in some ways the G35c is a better handler than the 350Z itself, and again after owning the car for six weeks now I can only agree with that statement. I cancelled a 350z preorder after driving it and realizing that it was vastly overpriced, a better $25,000 car than the $35,000 model I had speced out. The impression the G35c gives me now is that it's vastly underpriced at $35k. It really could compete in the $40k+ class of vehicles quite nicely. Imagine that, we're calling a $35K car a "bargain" lol.

2. The cosmetics of the two cars are not comparable in the least so Please. Stop. I. Can't. Laugh. Any. More. The Honda is average, with an uninspired full-on Civic look from the front, and a poor man's rip off Mercedes view from the rear. From the side, arguably its worst view, well words fail me. Hideous. The G35c on the other hand has gotten me pulled over twice already by cops wanting to know exactly what it was, what it cost, and what it could do. Not to mention that for some reason the G35c is absolutely adored by women. I don't know what it is, but in that car I'm f-ing Pierce Brosnan or something, which doesn't happen in the NSX-T nearly as much. Constant attention and questions from women at the gas pump, grocery store, etc. Yesterday it came from a sweet little Asian package that had just gotten out of her nice e46 M3 cabriolet. My wife loves my newfound status...NOT. See both the Accord coupe and the G35c in PERSON, not INTERNET PICTURES before you judge, LOL! Otherwise refrain from commenting, as you have no basis. And look for a black G35c. Heaven.

3. Rear wheel drive, there is no substitute. (Wasn't that a line from Risky Business? "Porsche, there is no substitute." Something like that...) I will never own another sloppy front wheel drive family car again, (owned two previous Accord coupes) I don't care if its engine is somewhat close in power to the G35c's or its price tag is approximately $7K less (no folks, not the wild $12k nonsense that's been floating around in this post) when identically equipped. Say it with me: Rear wheel drive = fun and the way all cars should be equipped, front wheel drive = your Grandma's cup of tea.
smile.gif

Final summary: I wouldn't have a problem slapping on a few mods on our G35c and really turning it into a track car. It's heavier than I'd like for that purpose of course, but it is that close to being a perfect sports car. I'd put a Stillen s/c kit on it along with a few aftermarket JDM suspension bits and it would be as capable as cars costing far more. I'd do all this without hesitation, the G35c has impressed me that much. In fact, dare to say it, but if I had to make a choice on just one car for the family, the impractical NSX might be the one kicked off the island. But thank god I don't have to make that choice, as the NSX is my baby.

But how many of you would think to slap an s/c kit on that Honda accord coupe and go hardcore racing with it? How many of you would utter the forbidden words "almost as fun as an NSX in the sportscar department" from this hugely unbalanced front wheel drive pusher? Give me a break. You’d get more thrills from a used Prelude VTEC model, no question.

A final comment. Nissan is nearing completion on their first Skyline GT-R that's intended for the world market. It's powered by the same VQ35 engine that's in the G35c and 350z, only with two electrically spooled-up lag free turbos attached to it (a first) making between 350 and 400hp depending upon which Nissan leak you believe. Amazingly, fewer suspension and braking modifications were necessary than most would have thought in moving from the 350z/G35c platform to the GT-R platform, even with that sort of power level. The G35c and 350z are that well prepped.

Meanwhile the new Accord will be lucky to see a "California Special Edition" version, lol, let alone a Type-S or Type-R badge. They wouldn't even think of throwing that sort of spec on that car, which is designed to be the ultimate grocery-getting experience, not the ultimate sports car experience.

One is a Skyline to be, and one is a competent people mover. So says Nostradamus.

G35 coupes are not being discounted anywhere in the country. In fact many dealers are marking up the cars by adding options such as aftermarket wheels, paint protection, interior protection, lojack, tint, wheel locks, and trunk mat. G35 sedans on the other hand can be had for a 2-3000 discount off MSRP.

Perhaps in a few months a discount can be had on a G35 coupe, but not right now.

I have a G35 6spd coupe on order with the premium package, and out the door pricing makes it 12,000 more than a discounted Accord EX V6. I believe I can get a better price than the 23,888 Honda of Oakland quoted me. There are at least 7 Honda dealerships within 100 miles of me.

Without a doubt the G35 coupe is a better car than the Accord. Only thing better on the Accord would be back seat and trunk room.

Another big factor for me is resale value. Infiniti has historically had very poor resale while Honda is Honda. Over the course of a 4-5 year ownership the figure will come out to much more than 12,000.

It's a tough decision for me but I still have 1 more month before the G35 is due to arrive.

G35 coupes are not being discounted anywhere in the country.

Saba,

That's a pretty broad statement that happens to incorrect. My local dealer took off $1200. Maybe it's an east coast, crappy weather, year-end thing, I don't know. But it's making my decision a bit more difficult.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

posted by NSXTACY:

I think the Accord Coupe is the best looking car in the Honda model lineup. (I think the same thing was true of its predecessor.)

Even better-looking than the S2000?
wink.gif

Originally posted by MAKO:
Here's reality from a person that OWNS both the best Honda coupe of the planet, and the best Nissan coupe on the planet (exluding the R34-GTR of course) the G35c

...and has probably never driven the 240 hp Accord Coupe (right?) and might not be exactly receptive to the idea that he spent 40+ percent more than he could have for a similar car.

Rear wheel drive, there is no substitute.

For a track car, maybe. On the street - particularly in areas which experience winter weather - front wheel drive may actually be preferable.

The impression the G35c gives me now is that it's vastly underpriced at $35k.

its price tag is approximately $7K less (no folks, not the wild $12k nonsense that's been floating around in this post) when identically equipped.

So... you're saying that the G35 costs $35K, and that you're only going to pay $7K more (after taxes) than a car that costs $24K?

Re-check your math.

Originally posted by Zanardi 50:
Even better-looking than the S2000?

In my opinion, yes.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 18 December 2002).]

$7k "when comparably equipped" as I stated. Nav, all options, etc. And believe me, giving $7k is generous, it's actually more like $5.5k.

Yes, rear-wheel drive is superior to front-wheel drive for handling. However, those of us who don't live in CA or FL prefer front-wheel drive in the winter. Also, I'd rather pocket the extra $$ for the G35 and spend it on my NSX and S2000.

Front wheel drive for parts of the country with severe climates is fine to use as a positive for an Accord over a rear wheel drive car, but good stability control systems from cars like the 330ci and G35c somewhat negate the all-or-nothing advantage FWD cars have had in previous years. I've been playing with the G35c in the heavy SoCal rains the past few days and it's impressive to see what you can get away with thanks to the stability control on it. But make no mistake, rain certainly isn't snow, and I have no experience with the G in those poor conditions.

Regardless, as in any debate, go drive the cars you're considering. As I stated earlier, I've personally owned the last two Accord coupes, both EX models. I have nothing against them as people movers, they performed well for me in that role, but to see intelligent people in this thread saying that the new Accord coupe competes well with a G35c comes off as being alien to me as a car enthusiast who prefers sport over practicality in most cases. In terms of practicality the Accord surely trumps all competitors with two doors, no doubt. If that's your priority then I'd say go for the Accord and enjoy. But to start talking about getting one in lieu of a G35c or 330ci just because it's got 240HP and you're now thinking it can compete in the sports car arena as well, I'd just say go drive one.

And be sure to "build your own" G35c and Accord Coupe EX with the options you desire to get the expected price tag. When I went earlier and built my own Accord Coupe EX for fun, and equipped it with the exact options my $35K G35c came with, right down to the 18" wheels and navigation system, the Accord's price was approximately $7K less, or $28.5K. But I do agree that you can probably get a deal on one that is slightly below MSRP, I'm just not sure how much. In SoCal the demand for Hondas is so extreme that even the Odyssey has a crazy MSRP+$3K markup from dealers right now, but in other parts of the country it might be a different story.

But even if the Accord coupe was $20K out the door with every conceivable option, I'm not sure I'd have wavered away from either a 330ci or a G35c. Both of those cars were so engaging to drive fast, and so well built for speed, that thoughts of any Accord were long gone after even the simplest of test drives. The 330ci was nearly $46k however when equipped with the same packages as the G35c, and I liked them equally in terms of driving performance so I went with the G.

YMMV

MAKO makes some good points.

There are a lot of excellent cars in this class (sport luxury coupes with 225-280 hp), and we've named four of them: Accord, CL, G35, and 330Ci. They're all great cars. Comparably equipped, there are significant price differences as you move up that list. Some people may want one feature over another, be it rwd or fwd, HID, etc., and some people may be more taken with the styling of one than another. There are no bad choices here. However, the point remains that for many people, price is important, and with such significant differences, it's worth considering all of these models before making a decision.

BTW, this discussion reminds me a lot of the people who crow about the Corvette Z06 offering better performance than a new NSX at two thirds the price. Yes, that's true - and I don't think there's anything wrong with considering the Z06 as well as the NSX when making a buying decision. For those who choose the more expensive car, for whatever reason they want it, it's a great car; for those who choose the less expensive car, for whatever reason, that's a great car too. But there's no arguing that there is a significant price difference.

P.S. Models that are in short supply are a lot less likely to be discounted. Honda/Acura could sell lots more Odysseys and MDXs than they can build, so they're in short supply. In some parts of the country, dealers may be charging over MSRP; around here, dealers typically charge MSRP but you have to wait 3-4 months for delivery. This may ease somewhat in the coming months now that the factory in Lincoln Alabama has come on-line with Odyssey production, which could also free up more of the capacity in Ontario where the Odyssey and MDX are built.

Accords are in plentiful supply, since there's lots of manufacturing capacity in Ohio. The same is true of the CL which is also built there. As a result, dealers are more likely to discount these cars since the supply is not constrained.

I don't know what the supply and demand situation is for the G35.

I would have to agree with MAKO that pictures really don't do the G35C justice.

The only thing I'm don't like about the G35C is the interior trim. I think the CL Type-S looks more upscale in the pictures. I'm guessing it looks better in person.

Back