New Accord Coupe

Fellow Hondaphiles, this thing is starting to grow on me. At first I really did not like the new coupe, but I've driven it (as a 5-speed auto) and am starting to like it more than the Acura CL. The CL's styling is bland by comparison (IMHO). The 6-speed comes out in February and has 17" wheels, 215/50/17 rubber and sport suspension. It's really pretty quick: 240 hp, 212 lb-ft, 3200 lbs. About $27K as a 6-speed with everything except navi.

hn2003accordcoupefp03.jpg

Thanks for the visual aid, I'm thinking black with no ground effects or spoiler and with the 17" ten spoke wheels (which are slightly different then the ones on your pic)
chromed.

2003 Accords are already being heavily discounted. Honda of Oakland quoted me 23,888 for an Accord EX v6 sedan, no navi. I'm seriously considering canceling my G35 coupe, which will be MSRP, and just getting the Accord for 12,000 less.

I also test drove a 6v auto coupe over the weekend. I did like it, but not as much as I was expecting to. It feels bigger and more numb than the manual CL-S (an earlier test drive). I have not had a chance to drive the 6speed accord coupe yet, but am hoping hoping it behaves markedly different than the Auto coupe. YMMV

I was cruising around in my NSX yesterday and saw a new G35 Coupe on the road. The color was Caribbean Blue. Very nice. I just caught a glance of it going in the other direction. A real stunner. Pictures definitely don't do the car justice.

gal_g35cp_med08.jpg

You guys should check out the Euro accord 4 doors that's coming out in the states as an Acura RSX sedan. It looks so much better and European than the American Accord. Plus you'll be able to get OEM EURO-R parts for it
biggrin.gif

------------------
George W
Porsche 996 for sale!

The G35 coupe is very nice, however, it is considerably more expensive, the back seat is very small (almost Prelude-sized) and its not a Honda. I know the last point is kind of silly, but I just have no quality concerns with Honda.

Originally posted by JimK:
Fellow Hondaphiles, this thing is starting to grow on me. At first I really did not like the new coupe, but I've driven it (as a 5-speed auto) and am starting to like it more than the Acura CL. The CL's styling is bland by comparison (IMHO). The 6-speed comes out in February and has 17" wheels, 215/50/17 rubber and sport suspension. It's really pretty quick: 240 hp, 212 lb-ft, 3200 lbs. About $27K as a 6-speed with everything except navi.

The MSRP is $26,360 (for the EX V-6 Coupe with 6-speed) and you should be able to get it for significantly less than that. You'll find that the price is an absolute bargain when you compare with other cars, taking into account the full cost of ownership (including depreciation, since the Accord will retain its market value much better than competitors).

In person it's stunning. I think the Accord Coupe is the best looking car in the Honda model lineup. (I think the same thing was true of its predecessor.)

339394.jpg

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
Yeah I believe it will be called the TSX. It's basically going to be the Integra sedan Acura used to sell. That's why I just said it was going to be the RSX sedan.

The TSX is not going to be the Integra four-door (as it was properly called). The body will have nothing in common with either the third-generation Integra sold in '94-01 or the RSX introduced in '02, and the drivetrain has yet to be determined.

The only thing the TSX has in common with the Integra four-door is that it will be the least expensive four-door in the Acura model lineup, which is why some are referring to it as the replacement for the Integra four-door - but only in its position in the model line.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 December 2002).]

If it came down to a choice between this:
hn2003accordcoupefp03.jpg

And this:
gal_g35cp_med08.jpg

I'd opt for the Infiniti. There's no contest IMO.

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 17 December 2002).]

Thanks Ken. I have a '98 V6 EX coupe that I purchased new from the same dealer. I think he will give me enough on trade to bring my monthly cost of ownership on the '98 to around $220/ mo. over the past 5 years. Not a bad deal really. I really don't need and can't justify replacing the old Accord but the new 6-speed version is a noticable improvement as a driver's car.

Originally posted by Joel:
I'd opt for the Infiniti. There's no contest IMO.

When looking at a $12,000 difference between two cars that are quite similar in most ways, there are many people who would agree that there's no contest, but in favor of the Accord.

Yes. Accords have changed a lot. My 1976 weighs less than 2000 lbs. It also had 70 odd HP.
wink.gif

I've always had a soft spot for Hondas and Accords, and I really wanted to be jazzed by the new Accord. It drove wonderfully. The interior is beautiful. But the exterior styling just didn't excite me.

The G35 is interesting, but it's one notch above in cost and perception. And...

Doesn't the G35 have 40 more HP?

I think the G35 handles better too. I also think the G35 can be had with Brembos. I certainly think it's much nicer and has better proportions than the 350Z.

For most, it probably comes down to styling. I've driven both and have to give the nod to the G35 in that regard.

I personally find the styling of the new Accord to be just OK. As mentioned, I think it's derivative of the Cougar. The interior of the Accord is VERY nice however. The gauges are just perfect, with lighting reminiscent of Lexus's best.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 17 December 2002).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I personally find the styling of the new Accord to be just OK.

That's cause Honda said they used the looks of the cheetah to get inspiration from. If you look at it from that standpoint, it does resemble that particular cat.

The G35 is a very nice car, and the coupe has a 40 hp advantage over the Accord; the sedan, 20. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the G35. However, when one car costs 50 percent more than another (like the G35 does over the Accord EX V-6), you have to stop and consider whether it's worth spending that much more. If you have lots of money, that $12K difference might not mean much to you, and you may take the car whose styling or brand name you prefer. But for many other folks, the $12K difference might be a lot more important than any differences in styling or horsepower.

It's like comparing a new NSX against a new 911 Turbo for 50 percent more money. 400+ hp (along with a four-second 0-60 time) is nice, but whether it's worth it to you to spend the extra money may be another story entirely.

I think the G35 handles better too. I also think the G35 can be had with Brembos. I certainly think it's much nicer and has better proportions than the 350Z.

Just looking at the pictures, I thought the same thing...until I actually saw both. The 350Z doesn't look nearly as misproportioned in person. Also, I thought the G35 actually looks pretty odd directly from the front or back (much less so than the 350Z).

Especially the the rear, being pretty high-tailed, almost all body colored, and pretty close to flat, especially the huge bumper section...i think this picture gives it a bit more curvature than it actually has:
gal_g35cp_med06.jpg

The list prices of the most closely comparable models of the Honda Accord Cpe EX V6 and the G35 are $25,900 and $29,645 respectively.

You could opt for the luxury leather 6 speed version of the G35 and that would bring it up to $32,595.00.

I don't see how it's a $12K or 50% difference?

I figure it's a $3,745 or $6,695 difference. It's not chump change, but I do think someone who's spending $26K would certainly be willing to consider $3.7K more.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

I don't see how it's a $12K or 50% difference?

The Accord EX V-6 Coupe has an MSRP of $26,360, with automatic or six-speed. (The difference from your figure is the $460 destination charge.) As sabashioyaki notes, they're being nicely discounted, so you can probably buy it for somewhere around $24,500 or so. (Dealer invoice is $23,765 without deducting the holdback.) It comes with leather, power sunroof, dual zone climate control with interior air filter, and universal remote transceiver as standard equipment.

The Infiniti G35 Coupe with six-speed and leather has an MSRP of $32,595. The premium package with power sunroof, dual zone climate control with interior air filter, and remote transceiver adds $2,250 to that, for a total of $34,845. They're selling for MSRP.

Thus, with both cars comparably equipped with the amenities that are expected in this class, the difference in price is $10,345, which means the G35 is over 42 percent more than the Accord. Throw in sales tax and, depending on the tax rate where you live, you're looking at a difference of somewhere between $11K and $12K.

Incidentally, another option in this class is the Acura CL Type S. With 260 hp, it splits the difference in power between the Accord and the G35. Like the Accord, it comes with a lot of items as standard equipment that are optional on the G35. Also like the Accord, it is typically discounted from its MSRP of $31,050 so you can probably get it for $29,500 (perhaps even less), so the price too comes in midway between the Accord and the G35.

It's not chump change, but I do think someone who's spending $26K would certainly be willing to consider $3.7K more.

Not everyone who is spending $26-27K for a car can afford to spend $37-38K for a car; some can, some can't. And some of those who can afford the more expensive car may still choose the less expensive one; not everyone wants to spend 42 percent more money for a car that offers similar performance and amenities.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 18 December 2002).]

Ken,

I did not include destination charges, so that's probably why my number was lower. But you need to compare apples to apples.

Infiniti G35 coupes are also being nicely discounted too. How can you discount one car but not the other in a comparison? And in general, the higher price of a car the greater the discounts.

I took the list prices with no options. Both cars are very nicely equipped. And although the Accord has a few more items standard, someone who is more interested in the performance aspects (like most of us here) might not want or really care about the sunroof, dual zone climate control, interior air filter and universal remote. I know, when I looked at the Accord, I didn't care about those extras. I chose the V6 - 6 speed model to look at, because of the V6 and the 6 speed.

The G35 Coupe with the 6 speed also comes with Brembos and 18" wheels/tires. To make it fair, shouldn't we add that to the Accord? Not to mention the 40 extra horses and the fact that the G35 is rear wheel drive.

The fact is that you can get discounts on the Accord and the G35. I know because, I'm currently shopping around. But putting aside negotiated deals for a moment...

The G35 6 speed with 280 hp, 18" wheels/tires, RWD, and Brembo brakes, priced at $32,050 (not including the destination charge of $545) is still reasonably close to the $25,900 (no dest charge) price of the 6 speed Accord.

And for the enthusiast shopper, a $6K premium over the Accord for those features might just be a reasonable tradeoff.

-Jim

PS: I know you love Hondas, so do I. We just bought a new Honda tonite for my better half.

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 18 December 2002).]

Back