• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Wireless Network HELP!!!

I have a wireless network at home, consisting of a wireless router that is hard wired through a modem to my DSL line, one desktop that is hard-wired to the router, and one desktop that has a wireless PCMIA card. The network works fine.

I just bought a laptop. The laptop recognizes the network connection, but I can't get it to work. It recognizes the network, with a signal strength of excellent, but the status is "not associated". When I try repairing the connection by restarting the connection and trying to establish full connectivity, it fails when it tries to renew the IP address.

HELP!!! Any suggestions will be extremely appreciated.

Ken - did you do the following:

1) Set up the MAC ID of the new laptop's wireless card into the accepted list of the wireless router?

2) Allow the laptop to access the internet?

3) Set up SSID and network password on the wifi card?

4) check that wireless status is turned on, on the laptop? This is probably on, but it doesn't hurt to check.

5) Make sure any firewall on the laptop allows it to associate with your network?

NsXMas said:
1) Set up the MAC ID of the new laptop's wireless card into the accepted list of the wireless router?
There isn't any accepted list in the configuration of the wireless router.

NsXMas said:
2) Allow the laptop to access the internet?
I'm not sure I understand the question. That's what I'm trying to do.

NsXMas said:
3) Set up SSID and network password on the wifi card?
Yes, including the WEP key.

NsXMas said:
4) check that wireless status is turned on, on the laptop? This is probably on, but it doesn't hurt to check.
I'm not sure what you mean.

NsXMas said:
5) Make sure any firewall on the laptop allows it to associate with your network?
The Windows firewall and the TrendPC Internet Security are both disabled.

:confused:

Disable WEP and/or MAC filtering, refresh your network list and you should see your unsecured network connection. Try to connect to it. If you get on, it's something in the config of the router preventing you from getting an IP. "Not associated" error is usually MAC filtering. Should be somewhere in the router config where you can add a MAC address to the access list. Don't know where without knowing what kind of a wireless router you have.

Malibu Rapper said:
Disable WEP and/or MAC filtering, refresh your network list and you should see your unsecured network connection. Try to connect to it. If you get on, it's something in the config of the router preventing you from getting an IP. "Not associated" error is usually MAC filtering. Should be somewhere in the router config where you can add a MAC address to the access list. Don't know where without knowing what kind of a wireless router you have.
Absolutely correct - and thanks. This was on the right track and would have led to a resolution.

The problem is now FIXED!!! Frank (NsXMas) and I used the Remote Assistance tool; he took control of the desktop with wireless connectivity, and noticed that the WEP key was using the ASCII option. He changed it to HEX, which changed the WEP key, and I then entered the new hex WEP key that resulted into the laptop configuration for the wireless network, and Voila! - connectivity! (There was no option for ASCII vs HEX for the WEP key on the network, so I guess it needs the HEX version.)

A big THANK YOU! to Frank for his help in resolving this, and also to Malibu Rapper for his help which would also have resulted in a resolution. MUCH appreciated!!! (Thanks also to Andy.)

NsXMas said:
Glad to help Ken.

Too bad there's no "remote assistance" option for NSX issues. :)

You can do it but it is costly. Well not really.
I plan to do a right up when I get it running at about 90%.
Remote tuning was pretty cool with it.

Back