Need some info or advice...

haha MJK I feel the love from a fellow UTK grad already. Thanks for the advice and yeah, I can see where Acura was going with the F16 inspiration, but I'm more of an F15 F22 A10 guy if you catch my drift :cool: Regardless, I'll give the two-tone a nod and won't rule it out.
Cool. Check them out in person. In my mind at least, the 2 tone looks great - even more so with a little tint. It almost makes it look more low/aggressive. Just my opinion, but you might want to see one in person as it really does look different in the photos. If not, just get the top repainted. $.02

You suggest I take the car to Barn Man in Nashville? Absolutely if you think it's world's above Harper here in K town. Personally, I wouldn't have any idea. Any reason or story you'd rather not have it serviced here in Knoxville at the dealer?

If something does need to be fixed, I will judge it based on what I can do myself and with what kind of job I trust myself. If I know I can do it and I've done it before then I'll do it, but if I know it's over my head or if it's just too risky to do myself then I'll have it professionally serviced. I did mention before that I will not be selling the car that I drive now so any preventative maintenance that needs to happen early will not be a problem.

The car is really easy to work on. I DIY most of my stuff (gaskets, fluid changes, filters, plugs, master/slave cylinders, headers, exhaust, minor suspension stuff, etc). Barney does anything I don't do - timing belt, clutch and the like. He is fantastic with NSXs and has a shop on side. Better, cheaper, totally trustworth and a good dude. This is a no brainer in my book. I'll not get into Harper too much, but suffice it to say if they can mess up a CL so badly the Honda dealer has to fix it then my NSX will never see that place.

Good to know!:smile: I'll probably end up DIY a great deal, but if down the road I decide to purchase an NSX, I'll definitely give this guy a call.
So is the poor dealership maintenance indicative of most of Acura's dealerships ( as far as the NSX is concerned)?
I have heard that very few people in the US are qualified to actually work on this car ( supposedly, if the transmission needs work, they send it back, get a new one, and bill ya for it because no one is technically allowed to open it up), but am I off-base?

Aero, thanks for the well wishes. As far as I know, all I really want is a pilot slot ( and, well, maybe the A10 or F15 coming out of flight school) so I think test pilot or astronaut is not unattainable, but not really desirable from my standpoint. I'll put some thought into it though. I know another cadet who wants astronaut and I hope she gets it because me not going for it means less people to fight over to get it.
There is word that the Air Force will eventually split into the Aerospace Force and that might be something I would seriously consider if given the offer to cross-over.

Perhaps after getting my hands on a T-38 in flight school, you think the NSX will still be fun? haha :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hey primers, I'm an engineering student at UT looking to get a commission in the USAF and I'll be in the marketplace looking to purchase a car about a year from now. Now I know some of you might write me off right there as saying "dumb college kid with big dreams" but I've been studying up on this car as well as several others to make a better informed decision and I've got some military strings I'm pulling to make it happen. So rest assured that common sense is not lacking though it may not be apparently bountiful to you. So to complete my info repertoire, I'd like to ask some questions.

First, I know this car is a Honda/Acura, but how would you consider the long term reliability of a car as particular as an NSX? Put your love of the car aside.

Second, how feasible is it to use an NSX as a daily driver?

Third, how much of a pain is it to insure this car and what would be the optimal coverages for a car of this type and age? ( this is where some of my military strings may come into effect )

I think what I would desire the most would be a '93 or '94 in Berlina Black and I've seen very few of these that would fit in my price range right now ( $26000 or less).

usafdarkhorse
USAA insurance?
For my "Ensign mobile", I got a used Trans Am and paid 1/2 what the other guys were buying Corvettes for. Insurance/maintenance/etc... were all lower. It wasn't as COOL but I saved the delta in $s and have been buying cooler cars (cash) ever since!

Not to stray too far, but we're pretty far off topic already.

It's been a long time since I was in UPT and the program has changed a lot.
I was a T-37 IP many years ago.
I think you have the ability to leave the base pretty freely, you just won't have any time to do so. Pretty much 12 hour days every day, then you study,eat,sleep and repeat for a year.

Get some flight lessons before you go.

The T-38 is indeed a blast to fly and should be pretty cool with the upgrades they are putting in now.

Sulley

Well let me take it a step further out of the way haha..

T37 IP? What was that like? You ever get any kids who you thought would kill you as soon as you let them have the plane?

How grueling are standups? Any problems with those? Suggestions?

I've got about 40 hours in a 172, but I'm hoping to finish my PPL before graduating...so I'll probably be around 50 or so.

You also addressed yourself as Sulley...wouldn't happen to be a last name thing right? :cool: because that's what people tend to call me.

Good advice, TomCat.

Regardless, the NSX is a rather tempting automobile if I do say so myself. Haven't had the pleasure of indulging myself with a ride or drive, but all of you seem to have fairly consistent ideals as far as the car is concerned:

- expensive parts
- hidden costs
- preventative maintenance
- avoid dealers...bad juju
- kid needs to wait til graduation

Anything else with which I should concern myself? Does it help that I still live with the fam at home? ( I would probably shoot myself in the face if I lived on campus) I have about a 25 mile highway commute.

usafdarkhorse

OK so I've gotten alot of good advice about the initial costs of the car and the costs that come with the ownership of the car.

Are there any reasons I should choose this car over say, a G35 coupe or something of that nature? I realize the car holds its value well, but will this trend continue with the new NSX replacement ( probably not NSX anymore) being introduced later this year into next year?

Also, what would you recommend to be the best option for going about inspecting and purchasing the car from someone who may live 1500 to 2000 miles away?

usafdarkhorse

Are there any reasons I should choose this car over say, a G35 coupe or something of that nature?
One is an exotic, hand-made, rarely-seen high-performance sports car. The other is a mass-produced luxury sports coupe. Different kinds of cars. It depends on what you want.

I realize the car holds its value well, but will this trend continue with the new NSX replacement ( probably not NSX anymore) being introduced later this year into next year?
No one knows for sure, but - particularly given the stability of the market values of used NSXs - I doubt you will see any dramatic change. And don't bet on that replacement being out that soon (although again, no one knows for sure).

what would you recommend to be the best option for going about inspecting and purchasing the car from someone who may live 1500 to 2000 miles away?
There are a couple of different types of inspections:

1. A competent mechanic - MUCH better, one with a lot of NSX experience - can inspect the car for its mechanical condition, looking for leaks, checking the tranny number for snap ring status, testing compression and leak-down, looking at the condition of suspension components, etc. You can identify the most experienced NSX mechanic in a geographic area by searching or posting on the corresponding regional forum here on NSXprime. Arrange with the seller to take the car to the mechanic. The cost (usually 1-2 hours of labor) is usually paid by the prospective buyer.

2. Someone can inspect the car for cosmetic condition - condition of the finish, interior leather and materials, evidence of repaired body damage, etc. This can be done by a body shop or detailer, or it can be done by a knowledgeable NSX owner such as many NSXprime members here. Again, you can identify someone to do this by searching or posting here on NSXprime.

There is lots of information here on NSXprime about how to complete the purchase from a distance, both in the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions) and in topics in this forum. There are really two different ways of handling it, depending on whether you're going to pick the car up in person, or having it shipped.

Thanks for the advice and yeah, I can see where Acura was going with the F16 inspiration, but I'm more of an F15 F22 A10 guy if you catch my drift :biggrin:

Well, to each his own I guess. You won't really do any air-to-air in an A-10, and you won't get to go low, fast, and angry in the F-22 or F-15 and drop warheads on foreheads.

What kind of job do you do ( if you're retired...what did you do?) that allows you to own a prestigious car such as the NSX?:smile:

I'll give you one guess......
nsxf-161.jpg

+1 to what Sulley says. Don't expect a lot of free time at UPT, especially in the first half of T-6/T-37s and T-38s. Also, don't expect to be able to park your NSX in a garage until you move off-base......the officer's quarters will have a parking lot, and that's it. For weather, you've got the beating sun at Del Rio, the summer hailstorms at Vance and Sheppard, and the rain and hail at Columbus AFB. Keeping a car outdoors 24/7 will age it faster than you would imagine.

You should really think about upping your budget a bit for an NSX that's in better shape. You really do get a much better car for just a couple thousand dollars more. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a real nice mid-mileage '91-'94 in the 29K and up range. That being said, I wouldn't own an NSX unless I could keep it in a garage, period.

I got a black car for the exact reason you mention, ie. the same color roof as the body. Since then, though, the "two-tone" NSX colors with black roof has really grown on me and the red/black looks awesome in person. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Chuck

Eh...hog poppin tends to get F16 pilots in trouble so I wouldn't count the A10 out in the air to air realm. They know when you're looking for em.

But I have to give ya props because you're where I want to be about 3 years from now.

I'm not big on flying fast and low mainly due to the fact that the British proved in the Gulf War that it's not the smartest thing in the world to do. Lotta guys lost.

But good advice and info there on the UPT bases and the lack of garagespace. What about Pensacola?
Also, how would keeping an NSX outside at UPT be any different than keeping any other car outside?
Would a car cover be too impractical and not even work?

But it's good to see the pilot mentality is still alive and well.

By the way I can't read the tail lettering, what base is that?

usafdarkhorse

Eh...hog poppin tends to get F16 pilots in trouble so I wouldn't count the A10 out in the air to air realm. They know when you're looking for em.

:rolleyes:

I haven't been in trouble with Hogs, ever. I've got plenty of Hog kills, just go vertical and stay on top of 'em. Get down in the weeds with them, and then the trouble starts. Not a mistake that many Viper drivers make, except barely-out-of-MQT wingmen.

But I have to give ya props because you're where I want to be about 3 years from now.

Thanks?

And beggars can't be choosers. At the end of UPT, you'll be lucky to be flying anything single-seat.......re-read this thread when you get there, and you'll laugh at the fact that you're even talking trash right now. UPT will definitely humble you, as it does every USAFA grad that thinks they're going to fly the F-22.

I'm not big on flying fast and low mainly due to the fact that the British proved in the Gulf War that it's not the smartest thing in the world to do. Lotta guys lost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I seeing an ROTC cadet talk to me about tactics? :rolleyes:

Different threats require different approaches. You're pretty sure of yourself for someone who isn't an actual operator yet. There are plenty of reasons (ie threats) that will drive us in low and fast if the big one were to cook off and certain things happen. The bottom line is that we've learned to keep an open mind with regards to defeating our enemies, just like in Vietnam when we had to put the gun back in our F-4s and learn how to dogfight again. Never say never!

Besides, it's pretty damn fun to fly low and fast. :biggrin: Don't knock it until you try it.

But good advice and info there on the UPT bases and the lack of garagespace. What about Pensacola?

I don't know, but I wouldn't want to go to P-cola! A lot of folks that go there have a lot of problems in the transition to the T-38. It may be different now that they're getting the T-6s, but the Navy does things differently and it's a bit of a "culture shock" when you move over to a USAF base halfway through pilot training.

Also, how would keeping an NSX outside at UPT be any different than keeping any other car outside?
Would a car cover be too impractical and not even work?

An NSX is no different than any other car, except for the fact that it's an exotic and should not be treated like any other car. If you get an early '90s car, it will have paint that is at least 10 years old and an interior that will age rapidly if neglected. To me, a car cover is not a permanent solution, especially on a black car.

Would a fabric car cover keep hail from doing damage? Would it keep your fellow Lieutenants from giving it door dings? Sure, a car cover will protect the car to an extent, but it's no substitute for a garage. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get an NSX, but you should get another car to drive as a beater and a garage to keep your car in on those bad weather days. You're going to be at the Squadron for 12 hours a day, and your IPs aren't going to let you drive your NSX to shelter when the big storm rolls through town in the middle of the day. Also, you don't want to be the primadonna who stands out from the crowd........trust me, you DON'T want to be that guy. You really want to keep a low profile and let your flying do the talking in UPT.

By the way I can't read the tail lettering, what base is that?

150th Fighter Wing, Kirtland AFB, NM.

Air National Guard, the best kept secret in the Air Force. :smile:

I apologize if my previous post seemed pompous so let me clear the air.

First I would like to know my audience. ROTC grad? OTS grad? USAFA grad? Each has a distinctive demeanor.

Not trying to trashtalk ya, just sayin that your line of work is my ultimate goal whether I'm in an F16 or a C5, the single seat doesnt concern me near as much as having a seat, but I do admit I could probably be satisfied with my job even if I don't get to go to UPT. Overall, I would be happy with being commissioned and out somewhere. You come into contact with enlisted personnel much being a pilot? crew chiefs?

The reason I mention the British and their Tornado exploits was because it was something I was taught in class from another pilot who flew in the Gulf. Could be right. Could be wrong. It's an opinion either way and God knows everyone has one or two of those.:rolleyes:

As for the NSX, thanks for the info there on the car cover and the desirability of having a low profile.

Yeah I live about 20 miles from an Air National Guard base and that's all they ever say about it: best kept secret.

But, since this is an NSX forum, what would be your recommendation as the standard preventative maintenance and repairs on an NSX in a certain mileage bracket? Say, I'm interested in an NSX with 80,000 miles on the odo. What should be some repairs and time windows that would be indicative of a well-kept car? When should the clutch, timing belt, and water pump be replaced? I've heard conflicting opinions about such repairs.

Thanks for the advice.

usafdarkhorse

Back