Need opinions on 97 to 05 brakes for Track use.

Im looking on replacing my 1994 stock brakes with 1997 to 2005 brakes. Im going to use 2 piece RB rotors, stainless steel lines, race pads, and race fluid. My deal is I cannot fit stoptechs or brembos under my BBS lm's. SUCKS!!!

Will this work for 6 or so track days a year and fairly hard driving. I currently run in the advanced group and have a fair amount of track time both in karts and cars.

thanks
Blaine Waddell

I would recommend either running the stock rotors or the Project Mu 2-pc rotors.

What power levels, tire compound and size are you running?

Why would you not use the RB rotors??

Im currently running 215-40-17 and 255-35-18 dunlop dirreza star spec z1.

Stock power levels right now.

thanks for your inputs

Blaine

Im also looking to put on bilsteins shocks for a little better handling. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Im also looking in to oil coolers and a radiator. Any input here would be great to.

thanks
Blaine Waddell

you'll be fine with the one piece rotors

I went with the +1 rotor kit from dali, it was a little over $900 and included brackets to move the NA1 calipers out a little bit, SS lines, slotted one piece RB rotors with directionally vented front rotors, and a liter of ate fluid

So you think the 2 piece rotors are not worth it? Can you turn a rotor that is slotted?

So you think the 2 piece rotors are not worth it? Can you turn a rotor that is slotted?

Yes, you can turn slotted rotors.

I have had 1 & 2 piece RB rotors. I can say the 2 pc lasted longer, but they are also 2x the $. I don't think they lasted twice as long.

two piece with aluminum hats do save some nifty weight though.

you shouldn't have to turn your rotors, turning rotors just wears them out faster

no I don't think that 2 piece rotors are worth it for someone who isn't racing their car all that much, especially for the price difference involved

but hey if you want 2 piece for the bling factor more power to ya :)

Why would you not use the RB rotors??

Im currently running 215-40-17 and 255-35-18 dunlop dirreza star spec z1.

Stock power levels right now.
While they would probably last and be fine for your application, there are higher quality products out there that are from better-known, more reputable companies that invest a lot more into testing their products and competing in top levels of Motorsports. I've also seen and personally had those rotors crack and shear the mounting tabs off the 2pc rotor - under heavy use and don't personally think they are up to par with other offerings.

Im also looking to put on bilsteins shocks for a little better handling. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Im also looking in to oil coolers and a radiator. Any input here would be great to.
Bilsteins are a great OEM-replacement option if you don't want to go the coilover route. There are some very comfortable and high quality coilover systems out there for the NSX though.

First invest in an oil pressure and temperature gauges. If you are recording high temps, then I would get an oil cooler. An upgraded rad wouldn't hurt but probably isn't necessary for stock power levels -if the fins aren't all bent up.

2pc rotors are worth it, especially since you only have to buy replacement rotors (possibly cheaper in the long run) they are often lighter = less rotating/unsprung weight, etc... BUT from a quality manufacturer.

Billy, I'm using the 2 pcs stoptech aerorotors, and swear by its performance. Is that the another option you talking about? if not, any other better options.

to op, imo, unless your stock 94 caliper is worn out, I think the stoptech will do. oh, I still running 1 pc blank cheapies at the rear. I know it's also depending on the track too, some track is definately more demanding on brakes than the others. (I'd take the brake shield off, bigger deflector or ductings first)

I have a 13.0" BBK under my BBS LM's
dunno.gif

DSC00671.JPG

Echo Billy's suggestions exactly. I think instead of an upgraded radiator and oil cooler, you may want to think about getting an Accusump installed.

I'd get an accusump and oil cooler right away. I plan to do this myself. As far as the brakes... I looked at many options, even bought the RB kit then returned it once I saw pictures of what had happened to Billy's set on the track. I am running on my stock 05 brakes now with carbotech pads and larger cooling fins and have had NO issues and strong brake feel all around. I would avoid the RB 2-piece rotors, just upgrade to the 05 size or get the stoptech ones that will fit your car (they won't fit my 05).

Billy whats the deal with the project Mu 2-piece? will they fit the stock calipers on my 05?

Echo Billy's suggestions exactly. I think instead of an upgraded radiator and oil cooler, you may want to think about getting an Accusump installed.

I have a vented R hood, and have not had the engine go above warm even once at any track, with a supercharger on my car. But the ambient temps have never been above mid 80's.

... get the stoptech ones that will fit your car (they won't fit my 05).

Actually, I think Khrant test fitted Stoptech calipers with 02+ wheels and they fit with 15mm spacers. That is one of the many reasons I decided to give up my 16/17 OEMs and 17/17 Enkei track wheels for a set of 02 OEMs. With a set of 15mm spacers they will fit Brembo or Stoptechs.

Actually, I think Khrant test fitted Stoptech calipers with 02+ wheels and they fit with 15mm spacers. That is one of the many reasons I decided to give up my 16/17 OEMs and 17/17 Enkei track wheels for a set of 02 OEMs. With a set of 15mm spacers they will fit Brembo or Stoptechs.

Yes, I am aware... I was talking about just the stoptech 2 piece rotors (in place of the RB units) and not a caliper upgrade.

Billy, I'm using the 2 pcs stoptech aerorotors, and swear by its performance. Is that the another option you talking about? if not, any other better options.
Stoptech (Like Project Mu, Performance Friction, Brembo, etc...) are active in very high levels of motorsport and put their products under stresses most customers will never see. I'd say it would be a better option.

Billy whats the deal with the project Mu 2-piece? will they fit the stock calipers on my 05?
I havn't worked with Project Mu but have with all other said brands. I've been talking to the PMu guys a little recently since they are supporting many ALMS and NASCAR teams i've been talking to. I'll need to ask them more specifically about the NSX application.

Not to be harsh with Racing Brake, they have a very good application that no one else does. They went through all this R&D for the NSX and came up with a great upgrade solution. But the mistake they made/make is that they just refuse to answer any questions about the hat and rotor seperating like that. I wanted to support them, but after 2 emails all I got was "Anything can happen in racing, we can't know all conditions". This, instead of coming here and making a legit post and having a legit discussion. There was a thread with like 50+ posts on it when they were making them/selling them. How about 10 minutes of time to do a reasonable explanation for the possible issue? I know some guys race on the RB's and love them. And there is no doubt in my mind than what Billy does with those is probably harsher than many of us more novice trackers would do. But this isn't some trivial matter, it is the car's brakes. When you are going down a straight at 140 coming into a turn, last thing you want to worry about are the rotors failing.

With forums these days everyone talks. I am sure RB has lost sales because of threads like this and I hate to see that for someone that went and made a product for our cars. Sometimes a little dumb marketing/relations move can ruin a lot of good engineering work.

If you are using stock power, why not just keep your 91-96 OEM brakes and throw on some good track pads? Get some air on them with big deflectors and/or a duct kit and I think you will be fine. CL65 Captain should be able to tell you more about this setup.

That what I have done to this point and it has worked pretty good. Im going to a full race pad next time just to see how i like it. Im just trying to get the car prepared for a turbo kit down the line.

thanks
Blaine

Back