• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help with rear pads

Guys I am running Hawk HP+ pads up front and was running stock rears. Based on recommendations here. I use these year round. I still do have my stock fronts in a box. Rears are now gone. Now you guys are saying HP+ is junk and Carbotech panther is where its at... after I buy the HP+... LOL...

So now what? Should I get carbotechs rear and then change the fronts to those too later? The dust on the HP+ sucks. Truly... I can't even get some of it out of my wheels now. Maybe I should switch pads before/after track.

The dust on any combo street/track pad is going to suck. Use track pads on the track and street for the winter. From Spring - Fall you can leave the track pads on if you want. I run Carbotech XP10s all summer. Ya, ya I know they need to be warmed up for maximum braking but they work better than stock even cool (cold ie below 50F I don't know about). If I know it's going to be a while before I am back on the track then maybe I will switch back to my street pads. It takes 1/2 hr to switch pads on all four corners.

I use Autozone Wearever Gold on the street. They are dirt cheap ($30 axle), don't dust, don't squeal and they held up to 20 laps at Mid Ohio ~ granted they did have fading issues when I tried to push them hard, but they are more than adequate for the street. Unless you are running from the cops, you don't need to worry about fade on the street. :wink:

Last edited:
The Carbotechs have a TON of dust.

I should be getting a set of Performance Friction street pads to back to back against the Carbotechs soon :)

At Watkins Glen I just tried a set of Cobalt Friction GT Sport (carbon ceramic composite) which have been replaced by the CSRs. Best track pad I have used so far, least amount of dusting but the usual squeaking under street driving conditions.

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/compounds/

Cobalt GT had a lot of dust, and it does it into the wheel clear coat. I heard they had better compound since couple years ago, but I'm not sure if the compound is better in regards to less dust, or less destructive dust.

Back