need help, trying to make a purchase

Hey guys, im just wondering whether or not I should get an x w/60k and up milles or spend the extra $ and get a newer one w/20k or so..I mean i have the $, but id be nice if i didnt have to spend it all. I know its a honda motor so i do have the confidence of it lasting longer. Whats the ave. or so miles most uv heard on a well kept x, and how much and what would i be looking at on maintence once it gets over 85-100k?

dlynes said:
Hey guys, im just wondering whether or not I should get an x w/60k and up milles or spend the extra $ and get a newer one w/20k or so..I mean i have the $, but id be nice if i didnt have to spend it all.
That depends. It depends on how much you care about the lower mileage, and how much you care about spending the extra money. Also, depending on what year you are talking about, a newer one may include desirable features (removable roof in '95+, 3.2-liter engine and 6-speed in '97+) that aren't in an older one. Again, you have to decide how much you want those features and how much more you're willing to pay for them.

dlynes said:
Whats the ave. or so miles most uv heard on a well kept x
Median mileage on NSXs is approximately 5000 miles per year; half of the cars are above that figure, half are below.

As for the well kept ones vs the not well kept ones, 95+ percent of owners report that their own NSX is better maintained than average. :D

dlynes said:
how much and what would i be looking at on maintence once it gets over 85-100k?
There's scheduled maintenance, and there are unplanned repairs. With few exceptions, scheduled maintenance is fairly uniform over time, with the services scheduled at least once every 30K miles or two years, whichever comes first. The major exception is the timing belt replacement, which costs $1200-1500 and is recommended for every 90K miles or 6 years on the '91-96, 105K miles or 7 years on the '97+.

hlweyl said:
I would rather buy one with high miles that has been meticulously maintained than a neglected low mileage one!
That's an excellent point. In other words, not all NSXs of a given year and mileage are exactly the same. As noted above, sellers all claim they are in excellent condition. Get a pre-purchase inspection by a local NSX experienced dealer/mechanic and/or by a knowledgeable owner, preferably both, before committing.

Back