Need Help! TIA

Greets Guys, ok here's the deal. I have blown speaker amps but 2 still put out sound and I know the fix for this but want you to have the whole picture.

My cd player is not getting power! so I consulted my manual and took the following steps.
pulled center console,pulled head out far enough to check that all the connections looked good.no broken wires,ground nice and tight din tight.

Inspected din at head at front trunk bulkhead at cd player.all good
inspected ground for antenna
checked #8 fuse kick panel good
checked fuse under hood #51 looked good
changed them out anyway,pulled clock fuse.
WHAT HAVE I MISSED, I am pulling my hair out. thanks in advance for any and all help as I need it on this matter.
BTW the only thing I did not do yet is ohm out each pin on the din circuit to validate no short.

Hi David
Here are the relevant pins & their functions -

alpine-wiring.gif

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/sound_system.htm

I would start by checking for your voltage across pins 6 & 8 & also 7 & 8

To check out the continuity of the cable, I always find it easier than trying to connect a meter from one end to the other, to stick a paper clip between two adjacent pins at one end, then just check same two at opposite end for short circuit. If you get an open, then just change one of the pair to see which was the offending one.
Hope that helps narrow it down.

Good luck man & hope you're well on way to recovery!

p.s. Do your stations lose their memory when you turn off the radio? You may be missing constant power & only have acc power to your radio. I think I recall someone having your same symptoms once before.

edit p.p.s. Fuse 51 is only for the amps power and since your 2 speakers are working obviously not this anyway. Check fuse # 33, the 7.5A fuse (the clock fuse in the main fuse panel, though you said you checked that one) & also fuse # 8 (10A) in the kick-panel fuse box. Also, I saw a recent post that suggests the clock fuse (33) sometimes will get loose in the prongs - could be related.

Last edited:
D- ,I already checked all the fuses you suspect.gonna test the din with your short out method instead of end to end.good thinking -D thanks for the help,I am so used to posting to help the n20 guys they think I know about all the systems.wish I did but I am working on it again now that my heart is doing MUCH better.

Check the voltages first David, at the trunk end of the cable, then go from there re checking the cable itself for continuity.
Do a quick test on the radio - set one of the station presets, then power off with both the radio control & the ignition switch; turn it back on again & see if your presets are still there. If they're gone then you definitely have a clock fuse issue. That would still be my most likely choice for the source of the problem. Sometimes that fuse can be loose in the prongs & even if it looks OK. may not be bridging the gap properly & feeding the power through. The pre-set button test will confirm though.

Bought a head unit in very nice shape off the market. not only did it fix the cd issue ALL my speakers have sound including those I thought were blown 100%.I have good volume in all speakers and the cd sounds great. now all I have to do is have briank rebuild the speaker amps and I should have a pretty decent sounding stereo again. I know the speakers can sound much better but the system did not sound this good from the time I bought the car so I have alot to be happy about. I went through alot of testing on the system before buying but thats just me
best regards david

Back