Need help in moving from old computer to new .....

Well since i last posted, my migrane has worsened ...... LOL!

Finally thanks to the posts above, I went back redid the steps this time using the refernce noted by D'Ecosse:

in the very first field of the wizard you will see a link to "connecting computers" - you should take a look through that for some guidance

I was just successful using the set up in advance connection to create the host (old computer) and guest (new computer). The old computer now shoes Incoming Connections icon in the Network connection and on the new one the icon has the name of the old computer, But when I get to actual connection it is giving a busy signal!

I think I am getting warmer but still ......

MarkB offered the option of using the small business home connection, when I got to:

When the ‘Select a connection method’ dialog appears, make an appropriate selection and click Next.

at the above step things got off track. My option is Local Area Connection only which is where the cross over cable goes and it identifies it as disconnectred since there is no Internet cable connection. There are no other appropriate selection.

And I was correct after arguing with Gateway. My hard drive cable is a different one than the old gray 10 pins and it appears they are not compatible to be a master and slave.

Mark, please don't feel sorry, really, every bit has helped me have a deeper appreciation and understanding on how engineers think ..... LOL!

I am 100% certain that there is a small piece of info, setting change or task somehwere that I am missing, there is no way why it should be this complicated especially if others have done it much easier.

I always have the option of burning CDs ..... and I half way there !

EUREKA!

Thanks to NsXMas, problem was resolved over 5 minutes of a phone conversation :biggrin:

Did not have to use the Transfer Wizard, but did use the cross over cable. The trick was to use the Map Network Drive option from right clicking My Computer with a few reversible and minor tweaks on firewall settings on both computers.

Frankly, it was so simple that it was embarrassingly laughable :redface:

Kudos to all who hleped and pitched in. You will all get a bonus reputation, and NSXPrime will receive a donation too :wink:

Back to regular programming.

Hrant

Edit: Well some of you will not receive a positive ding since I have already given you one in recent days!

Last edited:
Hrant, glad you got your data over to the new PC just the way I like it - nice and easy :)

I just got home from work, and I remembered I'd send you this:the two free adware programs I recommend:

1) adaware
2) Spybot search & Destroy

Try downloading both to your PC and running them to see if they can speed up your PC.

Good luck!

Hrant said:
EUREKA!

Thanks to NsXMas, problem was resolved over 5 minutes of a phone conversation :biggrin:

Did not have to use the Transfer Wizard, but did use the cross over cable. The trick was to use the Map Network Drive option from right clicking My Computer with a few reversible and minor tweaks on firewall settings on both computers.

Frankly, it was so simple that it was embarrassingly laughable :redface:

Kudos to all who hleped and pitched in. You will all get a bonus reputation, and NSXPrime will receive a donation too :wink:

Back to regular programming.

Hrant

Last edited:
Thanks NsXMas. Those are helpful sites; I already found 15 items with adware! The computer is still shutting down erratically so we will see whether it will evantually settle.

A final irony to this thread. As I noted in my last post, there are two parties on this thread that I could not give a positive reputation rating because the system does not allow me to give them another positive until some time has elapsed since my previous positive comments (I give only positive ratings), or more repuations points need to given to others before I give them, whatever ....... Well, yesterday, and after 160 minutes from my last post, someone dinged my reputation on this thread with a negative (ie, disapproval) rating without even leaving a comment. Go figure ............ :rolleyes:

Once again, many thanks to all who posted.

Hrant said:
Thanks NsXMas. Those are helpful sites; I already found 15 items with adware! The computer is still shutting down erratically so we will see whether it will evantually settle.

A final irony to this thread. As I noted in my last post, there are two parties on this thread that I could not give a positive reputation rating because the system does not allow me to give them another positive until some time has elapsed since my previous positive comments (I give only positive ratings), or more repuations points need to given to others before I give them, whatever ....... Well, yesterday, and after 160 minutes from my last post, someone dinged my reputation on this thread with a negative (ie, disapproval) rating without even leaving a comment. Go figure ............ :rolleyes:

Once again, many thanks to all who posted.

I'm glad to hear about the PC, hope everything is resolved.

I am sorry that some one dinged you. Please report it to Lud so he can find out who did it, I consider that an abuse of the system.

Good luck! :)

Back