Need help from Paint / NSX Experts about repaint! JH4NA1153MT002363

Re: Need help from Paint / NSX Experts about repaint!

Guys, I already told you, I'm not blaming Steve, since he is the 3rd owner of the car, so try to relax a little....

AaronR ---- > "Most poeple on this forum would kill to trade their pride and joy for one in the condition of your car."

If there are so many guys out there that would appreciate and want this car so much, as you've stated, then why did the price have to Drop from over $40,000.00 to $37,000.00 and sit there being advertised for close to 4 months in an NSX enthusiast message board, where there should be TONS of people who would want this car so Bad, like you said......until I came along and purchased it.....I don't think it was THAT desirable.....you are really being a little too optimistic on the appeal this car has.

I guess different people gauge what a pristine condition car is, and maybe to you guys and Steve, this NSX WAS in pristine condition. But to me, it's not.

When I was shopping for my 355, several owners told me that their cars were in PRISTINE condition. You'd be surprised by how many poor examples of PRISTINE cars I've looked at......so everyone's opinion is different.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help, and I'll keep you guys posted for those of you that requested to know more about the service history.

Last edited:

I have 1991 black... 17,000 original miles.... my door sills are "dull" too. Maybe I've been scammed by some wacko commie terrorist... may I'll hire a detective to research my "sill" dullness. Maybe I too have been the subject of a pre-owned NSX conspiracy !!! :eek: Ooooo Noooooo. Actually I just learned that the car is not even built by ACURA... It's a frik'n HONDA for gosh sakes... I think I want my money back! :confused:

Whew.. ;) sorry got carried away in this thread.

Edmo7 said:
Anyways, I know that it's a 13 year old car, and used, so I shouldn't be that picky. But I was trying to find a keeper, and from what Steve told me about the car before my purchase, I thought it would be...

Man, I almost gave it to my friend yesterday for $32K, a $6,300 loss with shipping included, and went to buy a new 2004 model sitting at the dealership. That's how frustrated I am with this car.

You're going to have a really tough time of it with standards so impossibly high. There is no perfection in an imperfect world. New cars aren't perfect either, and if you buy the 2004 and don't like it either my guess is that you'll lose LOTS of money when you try to sell it - starting with sales tax, luxury tax, license and registration, and, of course, dealer profit. Remember EVERYBODY drives a used car, and heaven forbid what if granny backs into it?

Sit down, have a drink, and rethink the whole thing. It seems from reading the posts on this forum that you can resell this car with very little or no loss of money ( or make your friend extremely happy ). That's a good buy in my book.

Yeah, what do you do with this? The car appears to be a fine example of that year. If it is one that you just are not going to be happy with, sell it.

As for the proce going from 40 to 37 give us a break. Have you looked around at the economy lately? Not a lot of people able to buy these toys at present. Aside from that do you really believe that people expect to get the price they ask for their car? I think most cars have 10% or more buffer buil into the price to allow for bargaining, which we all love to do right?

In addition the lease deals that Acura has been promoting on brand new NSX's is a terrific deal. Buy a new one and you will have no issues.

Oh, well I hope you can resolve these issues to your satisfaction so that you can really enjoy your car everytime you get into it.

I think a few people here are being defensive because it involves someone you have met.... but put yourself in Edmo7's shoes, buying a used car is always a scary experience, and finding a paint job after the fact is disturbing. We are talking about a $40K "investment"!

If this person owned his own detail shop, restores cars, etc etc, how could he not have known this car has been repainted? I am no where near an expert but I can easily pick up most car that has had paint work without having to search too hard. I think if it was presented upfront, paint due to rock chips, it would have been much better...

That being said, I think it was silly to purchase a car of the price range without checking it out first, I can never understand people like this. If it turns out that it did have some body work, it's really no one's fault but your own. I think you should take this car to a body shop, put it on a lift, have them check it over to see if there signs of "extensive" body work, or simply a front bumper repaint. If all checks out good, get yourself a new set of floormats, order some new sparco seats from me :) and you'll have yourself a beautiful NSX.

btw, post up some pictures of the interior so we can take a look.

Tetsuo - FWIW

THonda said:
I think a few people here are being defensive because it involves someone you have met....

FWIW.....It's not that we know the owner, it's that we know the car!

Edmo7 said:
I don't think it was THAT desirable.....you are really being a little too optimistic on the appeal this car has.

I guess different people gauge what a pristine condition car is, and maybe to you guys and Steve, this NSX WAS in pristine condition. But to me, it's not.

When I was shopping for my 355, several owners told me that their cars were in PRISTINE condition. You'd be surprised by how many poor examples of PRISTINE cars I've looked at......so everyone's opinion is different.
A lot of folks ask me to check out used NSXs for sale in the Chicago area, and I attend a lot of NSX Club of America events, so I look at used NSXs all the time. I've easily seen over a hundred 1991 NSXs in person, maybe two hundred. Many of them are claimed to be in pristine condition, and you're right, many of those so claimed are not in pristine condition at all. 90 percent of NSX owners consider their own cars to be above average. ;)

Of all the 1991 NSXs I have seen in the past few years, I would place this particular car in the top 2 percent in terms of condition. If any thirteen year old car can be considered in pristine condition, this one is. If this car doesn't meet your standards, then no other used car will. Sell it and buy a new one. (Even though if you buy a new NSX and drive it 17,000 miles, it will almost certainly not be in the pristine condition this one is.)

THonda said:
put yourself in Edmo7's shoes, buying a used car is always a scary experience, and finding a paint job after the fact is disturbing.
Put yourself in OUR shoes. We are familiar with this car. This car doesn't have a paint job.

THonda said:
I am no where near an expert but I can easily pick up most car that has had paint work without having to search too hard.
So can I. This car doesn't have a paint job.

THonda said:
I think you should take this car to a body shop, put it on a lift, have them check it over to see if there signs of "extensive" body work, or simply a front bumper repaint
...or no repaint at all.

I think this is a great idea. Do it. And - just like the verification of the car's mileage, which you also challenged - please report back to us what they say. If it checks out, you can admit that you were wrong - and if it doesn't, I will admit that I was wrong. Deal?

I don't get it. Why is it such a big deal whether this car still has its original paint job or not. The car looks BEAUUUUUUUUTIUL.....

Even if it IS a repainted car, considering how great the paint job is and the condition of of overall appearence is in, does it really matter?

Don't mean to side step the issue here but I would really like to hear from the group your thoughts on original paint vs. repaint and the perceived effect a meticulous new paint job has on the value of the car. Come on, guys. Chime in! :D

Ok guys, thanks for the input from everyone, it has been extremely helpful. But it's time to end this thread. Thanks again, and I'll keep you all posted in the future.....for those that are interested of course....Good night!

Also, what's the deal with some people here posting every single car they own right after their posts?

My email to Steve:

"Steve,

For the past couple days, I've looked over the NSX a hundred times, got opinions from people on the board, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty sure that this was a good purchase. The car is pretty Pristine. I think I was just being too paranoid and picky, since I was buying this car as a keeper. I do apologize if I've offended you in anyway, I am truly sorry. I do however still have my suspicions of some parts of the car being painted over. But overall, it IS a good purchase. Thanks again for the NSX and keep in touch.

Ed"

Thanks again for all of your HONEST opinions everyone, it really helped to put my mind at ease.

Last edited:
Glad to see you put it behind you. Congrats on the car and if the possibles issues continue to bother you, no big deal, just sell it and get another one. The only opinion that matters is your own.

Back