NEED HELP! ABS & TCS lights. 3 codes!!! :eek:

Hi Everyone,

I've had my NSX since 2000 and the ABS light and TCS lights are coming on. After starting; first the ABS chatters for about 5-10 seconds just after I start going (it's been doing it for years), no problem, maybe. The car was being stored at a friends house for 6+ months (driven once) and when I got it the lights are on.

Here's the deal: Start car no lights, start moving very slowly ABS chatters for 5-10 seconds (normal at least for my car), then ABS light comes on, go a little faster (about 5mph) and the TCS light comes on. No check eng. light.

I jumpered with the paper clip and get 3 codes:
Check engine light: 6 slow 3 fast... 63
TCS: 44 OK RR speed sensor??
ABS: kinda weird, it flashes fast 4 times but only repeats about 3-4 times then doesn't flash anymore... The TCS and Check Eng light keep repeating their codes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Branden
408-373-1308

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I've had my NSX since 2000 and the ABS light and TCS lights are coming on. After starting; first the ABS chatters for about 5-10 seconds just after I start going (it's been doing it for years), no problem, maybe. The car was being stored at a friends house for 6+ months (driven once) and when I got it the lights are on.

Here's the deal: Start car no lights, start moving very slowly ABS chatters for 5-10 seconds (normal at least for my car), then ABS light comes on, go a little faster (about 5mph) and the TCS light comes on. No check eng. light.

I jumpered with the paper clip and get 3 codes:
Check engine light: 6 slow 3 fast... 63
TCS: 44 OK RR speed sensor??
ABS: kinda weird, it flashes fast 4 times but only repeats about 3-4 times then doesn't flash anymore... The TCS and Check Eng light keep repeating their codes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Branden
408-373-1308

Flush the system and if that doesn't solve the issue you may need to replace your Right Rear wheel speed sensor. Not sure about the check engine light code.

TCS is controlled through the ABS, it uses WSPD sensors to do its thing. It likely that the RR WSPD sensor casued the TCS light and quite possibly the ABS light as well. If the ABS light come on right away (below 5mph), then is probably more that just the sensor (solenoid in pump sticking as previously mentioned). If you have a CEL it's not related to you ABS problem. Don't hold me to it, it's hard to diagnose something like that without the car in front of you. Hope this helps.

Def exercise your ABS, I exercised mine like 10 times,, now it doesnt do the click click click click thing anymore,, to exercise your abs,, drive car in safe area,( no traffic ) drive car to about 15-25 MPH, mash brakes as if a little kid is in front of your car and you cant hit him,,, the car will almost lock up kinda, then release and almost lock up again,,, should be stopped by now,, repeat step

For what it's worth I had these very symptoms with my car except it gave me a TCS code for the front passenger speed sensor. I tested all sensors for resistance and the passenger side did not meet the published specs.

I ordered a replacment speed sensor, installed it and all lights (TCS and MIL) were gone immediately. If you have an ohm meter, check the resistance of your rear speed sensor at the connector. This will tell if the speed sensor is bad.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Sounds like you had the same issue I had.....you need to replace the speed sensor and they do not make the older models anymore.

You will have to get a new or latest version speed sensor and re-pin it....problem solved.

Are you talking about the manetic sensor which bolts to the hub or the internal hub speed ring?

Al

Last edited:
It's a 94. I don't get the opportunity to exercise the system, after I get over about 5mph the ABS light comes on, another 100ft and the TCS light comes on.

What do you mean re-pin the new style connector??

Thanks
Branden

That's the exact same symptom I had on my '92 a couple of years ago. In my case it was a wheel sensor gone bad. Both ABS and TCS are affected by the wheel sensors.

OK if I by the replacement connector 57470-SL0-020 since the 91-94 isn't available anymore...

How do I re-pin it??? Any ideas?

Thanks
Branden

The "re-pinning" actually means you need to take the connector off of your original sensor and put it on the new one. Not really a big deal.

The newer sensors have a different connector type. ediddynsx and I discussed it this weekend:). Funny that they only discontinued the early RR at this time. I am sure more will follow in the years ahead;).

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Back