Need Advice with '93 Purchase

After much NSX Prime reading, I'm preparing to take the plunge with a 2-owner '93, red/black with 33,000 miles. Very minor "polishing" scratches, no other dings or damage. Momo wheels + stock wheels, new tires, interior perfect. Clean CarFax.

Problem is that this is a 2-owner car. Purchased by current owner in December '94 at 15,000. Owner has since put 18,000 on the car, changed the oil (himself) and clutch (Acura parts by relative in car repair business) and has NO other receipts or proof of other maintenance. I believe the car needs 60,000 mile service (timing belt, belts, hoses) but seller isn't convinced.

What do you think of this situation? At $35,000, with car needing service am I paying too much? What would catching up on maintenance cost me? Would lack of maintenance records be a real problem to future buyer?

Last question - anyone have a recommendation for Acura/NSX maintenance facility (dealer or skilled independant) in Long Beach vicinity? Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer!

I think the price is a little high personally. It does need the 60K service, which is not cheap.

If you are serious about it, take it to an acura dealership and get them to check it over. And of course, do a carfax!

I think the price is slightly high for a car with a lack of documented history and incomplete maintenance history.

To bring the maintenance up to date, expect to pay:

$1200-1500 Timing belt and water pump replacement
$900-1200 60K service
$??? Cooling system hoses (Maybe $400-500 with labor? Just guessing.)

The coolant flush that you would normally do (scheduled for 45K, 75K, etc) will be done automatically as part of the water pump replacement.

Several folks here have recommended Autowave in Huntington Beach for independent NSX service work.

lamontg said:
After much NSX Prime reading, I'm preparing to take the plunge with a 2-owner '93, red/black with 33,000 miles.

Hey Larry!

Give me a buzz when you get one. I'm looking as well!

Gene

Larry,

If the seller is not convinced just show them the maintenance schedule. It is way overdue for a 60K service at this age. It is 10 years old:).

I would agree a little high, but it really depends on how nice it is. I would work at getting $2000 off to cover the maintenance expense and see how it goes.

Ken's pricing above is quite valid at dealer rates. Autowave, will probably do better if all the work is combined into one service visit, since some of the work overlaps.

Has the car been inspected by an unbiased party?? Definately no paint work and otherwise sound mechanical condition?? A/C and Climate Control working at ALL speeds and temps? Tire condition?

HTH,
LarryB

Back