need advice on buying salvage title NSX

Flood damage is by far the worst gamble of all salvage reasons, and I disagree that the number of years since is reason to think it's OK now. Water damage can create endless gremlins that haunt you forever and end up costing thousands in diagnostic fees. Salt water damage is magnitudes worse, to the point where the only safe fix is to strip out and replace the entire wiring harness and everything connected to it. Needless to say, that costs more than most cars are worth, hence the salvage title. Flood damaged cars should be stripped and turned into race cars, but someone always sees them as a chance to turn a buck or own one at a bargain price.

Oh, another thing, junk title can not go on the road again in some states. That was the case with my 91 I bought in Ok ($8,500), but can be registered in Calif. GA and in some cases after a instection TX will clear a title but it will still apear on Carfax.

That's right--u may be able to wash the title in some states but once on the carfax always on the carfax--if u don't care about re-sale it makes no difference

Steven, just wait a little longer and get an NSX with a clean title. Don't buy this salvaged NSX. Especially since you are in Hawaii. You can already add about $1000 to the price just to ship it back to Hawaii. Also, unlike the mainland owners, we don't have access to independent NSX mechanics or NSX specialty repair shops. Pfluegar Acura is our only source unless you really trust one of those Honda/Acura repair shops locally. Pfluegar did hire a good NSX tech who used to work in L.A. and he is the one that works on all the NSXs down here so that is a plus at least. Anyway, because we don't have too many repair choices, if you need major repairs on this Salvage car in the future it will cost you a lot more money. You will also be waiting at least a couple of weeks for NSX parts. Our dealer doesn't stock much of any NSX part. I wanted to get a simply oil filter for the NSX the other day and they had none in stock.

I don't recall what you said you can get this salvage NSX for, but Pfluegar themselves seem to always sell 91-92s for $29,995 asking price. It is posible to get a good NSX under $30K locally. If you broaden your search nationwide, for a higher miles 91-92 at $25K would be a much better choice than a salvaged one at $20K IMHO.

Also, what Island are you from? Deuce and I are on Oahu. Good luck on your NSX search. If you are on Oahu maybe you can meet up with the rest of us when you get your NSX.

Having any work done by a dealer is a loosing proposition. If you can not do most of the work yourself with your own tools, don't get a damaged one. Mine went to the frame shop for for for a frame pull and a trip to the paint shop. All the rest I did. I know my car very well now and had a lot of spare time then. More damage than I first thought (usually the case). Also if you drivve it till the wheels fall off you won't need to worry about resale value. Dan

tunapie said:
Having any work done by a dealer is a loosing proposition.

I disagree. There are some outstanding dealer service departments out there - just as there are some that are not very good at all. All you need to do is to figure out which ones are which.

In the Chicago-Milwaukee area, there are ten Acura dealers, and there are three that I would trust my NSX to, with no reservations whatsoever. At one of them, I recently had my NSX transmission overhauled (the teeth on some of the hub selectors and synchros were worn and flattened), which is roughly the automotive equivalent of open-heart surgery. The "surgeons" who performed the operation were brilliant, capable, and compassionate. ;)

Let me re word that. If you take your salvaged NSX to a dealer to have it fixed, you will be way in the red and better off getting a unbent one. Dan

Back