Need Advice! 1991 53k miles JH4NA1158MT002522

UPDATE!!!!Need Advice! 1991 53k miles JH4NA1158MT002522

Hoping to get some feedback from other members on a potential purchase. Have never owned an NSX but have done a good amount of research and driven a few (what an amzing machine!). After considering many other car purchases, the NSX is deffinatley the winner! Here's what I'm looking at:

It's a 1991 with 53k miles.

Known issues thus far: Slight door ding, and a few typical rock chips on the front. Driver's seat bolster has typical wear for mileage. Windshield will need to be reset since a 2 inch section of seal is popping out.

The only mod is an upgraded exhaust system Clutch replaced by Acura Dealership at 48K. The car drives well (My buddy has a near mint condition 1995 NSX with 23k on it and this car drives/handles very similarly) It has a clean carfax and the seller is the 2nd owner.

I plan on having it gone through by the local Acura Dealership. I am unaware if it is in snap ring range as of yet, but will deffinatley be checking.

I am anticipating a cost of around $2000 to replace the timing belt and water pump upon purchase.

I had planned on holding off on my NSX purchase untill this comming spring. However, I feel this is a very fair deal on a car that I would be happy with. Also, It's in my hometown of Salem, OR so I don't have to deal with travel, shipping etc.

A couple months ago the seller wanted 27k and I walked away from the deal. He has recently had some "unforseen circumstances" and needs money. I am fairly confident he will sell for less than 24k, how much less I'm not quite sure. Will post pictures when available.

Any advice is much appreciated. I have been lurking on prime for a while but this is my first official post. Looking forward to many more posts and hopefuly an NSX purchase soon!

Last edited:
If its out of snap ring range and everything else you say about the car checks out and no other owner hidden issues, I think 24k is a steal.

have your buddy who has one go over every inch of it.

If its out of snap ring range and everything else you say about the car checks out and no other owner hidden issues, I think 24k is a steal.

have your buddy who has one go over every inch of it.
I used to have a '91 and aside from the power-steering, it's pretty much the same feel as many later years. The power is quite less on paper, but only minorly felt when driving, unless you are tracking it. 24k is a very good deal, given it's great condition. Man...i wish I had the guts to buy another one, due to the currency equalizing from us Canadians. You will not find an Nsx up here in good condition for that price!!! Consider it seriously.

As a point of reference, I bought a '91 in 2001 for about $29k. It was higher mileage but also had the 90k service done, timing belt, water pump, and new clutch and had been well maintained. It had a new front window; upgraded brakes and a 4pt racing harness (it had been mildly tracked). No exhaust or wheel upgrades. Average paint; one minor ding; and some road rash on the nose.
I would consider $24K to be a good deal

hey guys thanks for all of the advice. So long as it proves to be out of snap ring range and the dealer inspection goes well it will be a go! I kinda figured that i would be foolish not to go for this one after thoroughly inspecting. I seriously haven't been able to sleep since pursuing this car! Should be able to get it in to the dealer next week and close the deal shortly after. Will update as the process develops and will for sure post pics when i get them! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Even if the car is in snap ring range, as long as the car is clean, $24K will still be a great price. You can maintenance-fix the snap ring issue (should you ever have to) for around $2K.

I would be wary. A 53K-mile '91 NSX is worth about $32,000.

make sure to get a PPI from a trusted tech. cuz $24K sounds too good to be true...Good luck and post some PICS:cool:

Hey thanks for the heads up! I spoke with the service advisior at my local Acura dealership and they said they could "go Through it" for a couple hours worth of labor (between $125 and $200). I asked him if that included a compression test and he said no. I expained that I wanted a thorough inspection and would like to have a compression test done. He said that it would be no problem to add the Comp Test and assured my that they could go through it VERY WELL for between $200 and $300.

so 91 X, what is a PPI? Also, should I be comfortable using the head tech at a dealership? I have a feeling they have seen maybe 4-5 NSXs in the past few years? Portland, OR is an Hour away. Maybe there is a "trusted tech" up there. BTW....Nice avatar!

LOL!! Yea, I feel like the guy is screwing with me. Maybe you would have better luck! Give him a call: 1-800-12345.
Seriously though, if you are in the market for a 95-t with 23k miles, my buddy is thinking of selling his. It's the one in my avatar.

A PPI is a Pre-Purchase Inspection. Since you are taking it to an Acura dealer to have it checked out, this would qualify as a PPI. Make sure they check the electronics for shorts!!! Nice buy if all checks out.

why the hell did he say "no" to a compression check? tell him for 200 bucks he better spend the 10 minutes and do it. and what exactly does "look at" mean?

in any case- get the carfax. check this car's history; it may have been in an accident. 24 is pretty low. i found an nsx a while back.... really nice 91 with 33kmi. guy was asking 27, but it ended up having side impact damage. (obviously not salvage, but still.....)

A PPI is a Pre-Purchase Inspection. Since you are taking it to an Acura dealer to have it checked out, this would qualify as a PPI. Make sure they check the electronics for shorts!!! Nice buy if all checks out.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious. I'll make a point it a point to go over electronics. Have a great day!

why the hell did he say "no" to a compression check? tell him for 200 bucks he better spend the 10 minutes and do it. and what exactly does "look at" mean?

in any case- get the carfax. check this car's history; it may have been in an accident. 24 is pretty low. i found an nsx a while back.... really nice 91 with 33kmi. guy was asking 27, but it ended up having side impact damage. (obviously not salvage, but still.....)

He didn't say no to the check, it was just somehting I had to request. I'll get a list of what "look at" means from the dealsership and post it.

I did get a carfax and it's clean. 1st owner had it untill 29k miles (I did some research and apparently he traded it in and got a Lambo in 1999). Seller is 2nd owner.

So here's a direct copy and paste from the e-mail that the Service advisor at Acura gave me in response to my request for more info regarding their PPI:

We check all sorts of stuff. Suspension, fluids, filters, tires, paint, transmission operation, starter lockouts, exhaust system, battery, radiator fans & thermostat, steering system, lights, wipers & windshield washers, heater & A/C operation, rear defroster, engine mounts, windows & mirrors, horns, spare tire & jack, tool kit, brakes and ABS systems etc...
Let me know what day you want to bring it in. Try to give me a couple days advance notice.

Not very specific but seems like they will be thorough. Especially given the fact that it is a dealership.

The PPI should include a checklist. Have him show you the checklist when you bring the car there. Read it carefully and if there is something you want checked out and its not on the list, ask for it.

Did the seller already said for sure that the price he is willing to do is $24000 ?

If everything checks out maybe try to include the TB/WP within that price and that will be a good deal. Hope everything works out. :smile:

They sound like they're doing their basic inspection and not a real PPI. Ask if they have any NSX certified techs there. Ask to speak to him and not the "service advisor" who's usually clueless. Might be worth driving it to one that does.

So here's a direct copy and paste from the e-mail that the Service advisor at Acura gave me in response to my request for more info regarding their PPI:

We check all sorts of stuff. Suspension, fluids, filters, tires, paint, transmission operation, starter lockouts, exhaust system, battery, radiator fans & thermostat, steering system, lights, wipers & windshield washers, heater & A/C operation, rear defroster, engine mounts, windows & mirrors, horns, spare tire & jack, tool kit, brakes and ABS systems etc...
Let me know what day you want to bring it in. Try to give me a couple days advance notice.

Not very specific but seems like they will be thorough. Especially given the fact that it is a dealership.

Back