Nasty "metal on metal" squeeking from left rear

It sounds like a really nasty brake wear indicator, but 10x louder and not during breaking. It seems to be coming from left rear tire.... get this.... during acceleration..

Details - all rpm's but most prevalent during 2500rpm - 5000rpm

any idea's what it can be?

Thanks

J

Re: Nasty "metal on metal" sound from left rear???

A brake-wear indicator would sound like a screeching/scraping sound when braking, or it may be constant in the event that you may have a stuck caliper.

You may be hearing a bad CV joint.

I would guess it might be bad a wheel bearing. Is it any worse when you turn right or left?

If it's a wheel bearing it may actually go away during turns.

Agree all above, Wheel Bearing, does the noise comes like a TOC-TOC-TOC then you put in neutral and goes away? ... sometimes it happens on my 97 too, I HATE that annoying noise ...... will fix soon

Oscar

Hmmm, havent tried turning vs straight, but it seems to only make the noise while accelerating.

I will try those when it stops thunderstorming and see if there is a difference

Thanks

J

A brake-wear indicator would sound like a screeching/scraping sound when braking, or it may be constant in the event that you may have a stuck caliper.
Thats exaclty what im experiencing from my rear.

Brake upgrade here i come! :-)

From the way you've explained it, it sounds like bearing. I just replaced mine last week and it was a relief. The noise sounds like the brake eventhough you are not stepping on it. The sound is audible at RPMs you've explained. Ask around if anybody has a complete hub laying around(it took me 1 hrs to install) and see if you can get it. If you end up replacing the bearing, it might take a while.

I was going to say wheel bearing too. How many miles do you have on your car CaptJ??

Jack - what was the mileage on your car when you replaced the 'hub'? I assume you found a complete hub - what do they cost and why didn't you replace just the bearing - are they hard to find?

Thanks,

Tim

Sounds more like a bearing to me. I imagine if it's making all that noise a good mechanic would surely know in a second what it was. Are you a DIYer? There was a good post about buying an entire hub from a guy that had just done his bearing by replacing the entire hub.

CaptainJman,
Dont start thinking " what did I get myself into buying this car" things happen, when I first got my NSX I had the Alarm fry a bunch of stuff, its just things you have to deal with till the kinks are worked out, the NSX is testing you, how much will he spend on me? just like a women.

But once the few minor things are outa the way she will PURRRR everytime you touch her.

I have 130k miles with about 10k in canyon runs on my 92. I have a spare complete hub, however, I wont be home for about a year. We may have to close this one so and try to put the posting on the other thread about this similar problem. Either way, Captain, my bet is on the bearing. KANE from umbrella motorsports might be able to get you a complete hub for about 200 bucks. Really easy to install, from the top of my head, there's 13 bolts plus the hub nut 36mm. :biggrin:

Have you ever heard what happens when a stone gets between the brake rotor and the backing plate? Sounds nasty! Is it coming from a particular wheel? If so, jack it up and give it a spin.

Gary

Sorry about the two threads, I figured I put the post in the wrong category. How do you close out a thread anyway?

Weather here is still not cooperating:(

If it is a hub, if its only 200 dollars I can definately afford that. I did have a "what did I get myself into" feeling.. Im glad we are talking about 200 not 2000 though:)

J

Well, it doesnt go away or get louder with turning... so what does that "rule out"?

I noticed while in neutral, stopped, with ebrake on it makes the same sound but I have to push the RPM's a little further to get the sound.. So it cant be the wheel because it wasnt moving.

Could it be a bad air fllter like someone suggested??? Have any of you ever had an air filter sound like a really loud brake indicator?

Please help me sleep at night and let me know:)

J

You can defer that.... :biggrin:

If it is making a noise when the car in not moving then it's not the wheel bearing. Air filter isn't it either as even if it made a noise it wouldn't be loud and you would only hear it when standing outside the car with the engine cover open, etc. One possibility is the bearings in the alternator. I was at the track last year and heard a very loud whining noise coming from the back and it sounded like I had a supercharger, which sucked because I don't. :tongue: It was loud enough to hear from inside. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from and then I noticed the amp meter jump around and go back to normal. The bearings in the alt were going bad. If the bearings in the alternator were REAL bad then it might make a screeching sound (vs my supercharger sound) that would increase/decrease with rpm. BTW: salvage yard alt was $200 w lifetime warranty. Easy way to rule out the alternator is to loosen the belt and you can rule out both the alternator and a/c compressor at the same time (same belt).

BTW: Noises are really hard to actually pinpoint where they are coming from. When my alternator went bad, I couldn't tell where the noise was coming from other than the rear of the car. Even standing over the engine running I couldn't tell and I could hear it plainly.

Last edited:
Yeah does sound like the Alternator, not to bad if you replace or rebuild your alternator, go ahead and change out the belts, ac/ alt if they look cracked or freyed, I am sure it not really a big deal.

your NSX is just testing you like I said before. Like a sugar-daddy should. LOL

to see and control if avoids them fires of the exhaust are not loosened (metal protections anti hott), sometimes, there are bolts which lacks and that produced a noise of vibrating sheet has certain driving mode! i had the case on my NSX!

I will refer to the MEL, write it up, and then call mx control :)

Acura dealership said I need to replace the air filter... youve got to see this filter.. I didn't think it was going to look this nasty!

I installed the filter and revved the engine (in the condo garage since its raining outside). True it wasnt a full fledged test, but Ill be damned, the sound "seems" dimished.

I will post again after the test drive when the weather permits.

Cross your fingers for me!

J

Attachments

• air filter.jpg
    air filter.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 59
CaptJ - I have a feeling that this is something simple like a loose belt or somehting but it could easily be a bearing. Nothing too bad - right now that is - I am not sure why you don't take this to a mechanic? I mean a good mechanic would tell you right away what this is.

Who would have ever suggested this was an air filter??? That's crazy man. You gotta get this car to a mechanic cause if it's not a belt and it is a bearing of some kind - you really don't want it to fail. If it's that harmonic balancer - that would be really bad if it failed.

Get thee to a mechanic! That's the best advice anyone can give you at this point!

You're not gonna believe this:

It was the filter... I R&R'ed the air filter and finally got the car out for a drive. Not only did the sound COMPLETELY go away but there is an amazing increase of power.

It was an NSX mechanic at Mcgrath Acura in Morton Grove (Jeff) that said that was the problem. I didnt believe him because the sound was absolutely HORRIBLE. (it was so bad I considered selling the car)

FYI, if you ever hear amazingly bad, loud, scary sqeeking from the rear left, it could be just an air fliter!

Amazing, simply amazing!!!

J

Back