Narrowed down my first NSX to a few: JH4NA2165VT000243

First, I've found this site invaluable as I near the day I finally own my dream car.
I've got it narrowed to three NSXs and I would really appreciate some specific comments to help me look at this objectively from various perspectives.

The one with the VIN posted above is a serious front runner right now. I actually kind of like the spa yellow though red was always what I imagined owning. The big thing is that its a '97 (3.2L is very appealing) and the other two are '96s.
1. Of course he claims its been well maintained and is in great condition, but he thinks the timing belt is in great condition still. How much do I discount the price that this hasn't been done? I know the dealer here in Omaha wants about $2600 for the TB/WP work.
2. If a PPI comes back solid, how much am I rolling the dice driving this thing from CA to Omaha? What are the odds I'll be fine waiting 6-12 months before changing it (since I blew my whole budget to buy the car.)
3. Should I be nervous the current, third owner, bought it here just a year ago?

My other options are a '96 with similar low miles and similar price but with the TB/WP done just 3k ago. Black is my 3rd color choice, but somehow I think I'd grow to love it because its still a NSX.
Or another '96 with double the mileage as these two (which is still low in my mind) for a few grand less, TB/WP being done as we speak, but the aftermarket exhaust has created the check engine light issue I've read about in other threads. Owner and Acura can't resolve it and that has me nervous about an otherwise gorgeous Red '96.

Sorry for the long first post but since I'm going to write a check for $35-40k soon for - as the wife says - a toy, I would greatly appreciate the collective wisdom of some veteran primers.

Thanks!

I think MOST people on here make a bigger deal out of TB/WP then it actually is.
I think you should be fine driving the car back home and doin that work here...but if you will do it anyways why just not
Take care of it before you get on the road?

A good trusted nsx mechanic can look and feel around and tell you how bad the belt is just by feeling it...grant it he can't take it apart and see if there are minute cracks in it...however giving him some history of where the car has lived most of its life (climate/temp/humidity) and a prodding around should give u some basic ideas.

But always remeber Murphy's law

Zaid

. Of course he claims its been well maintained and is in great condition, but he thinks the timing belt is in great condition still. How much do I discount the price that this hasn't been done? I know the dealer here in Omaha wants about $2600 for the TB/WP work.
2. If a PPI comes back solid, how much am I rolling the dice driving this thing from CA to Omaha? What are the odds I'll be fine waiting 6-12 months before changing it (since I blew my whole budget to buy the car.)
3. Should I be nervous the current, third owner, bought it here just a year ago?
1. Around $2k ish probably, but with only 30,000 miles it really may not need to be done and if I was the seller I am not sure I would drop my price for that. Depends a lot on the condition of the belt and how the car was driven.
2. I wouldn't base that on forum posts, I would go on the recommendation of an experienced NSX mechanic who had hands on time with the vehicle. With this car out in CA, I am sure there are plenty of good mechanics that this forum can point you in the direction of.
3. That would bug me a little, but cars like this can sometimes change hands. Some people get caught up on how "cool" it is (and it is super cool!) and not factor in the realities of ownership and end up needing to sell. You could always ask the guy.

Mostly though, it seems like points 1-3 should be answered by a well done Private Party Inspection.

The pricing seems to be reasonable, it was listed back in 2011 @ $44.8k, so the list price now of $43.5k seems like the seller is being realistic and not trying to make money after a year of ownership.

Personally, if the pricing is similar I would take a 97 over a 96 in a heartbeat. For a few extra grand the updates from NA1 to NA2 seem well worth it in my book.

I PM'd you on where I would take an NSX here in Omaha. They do great work and offer very fair prices from what I have heard.

Given the choice between a '96 or '97 I would go with the '97.

I wouldn't be too worried about the TB/WP on your drive home, unless you plan on a very spirited drive home. Then again, that will ultimately be your call.

I flew to Reno and drove my 91 NSX back to Omaha, March '08.

It will be nice to have another NSX owner in the area. There is me 91 Formula Red/Black, Nukum 91 Formula Red/Black, 21acres 92 Silver/Black (Blair) in the area.

There was somebody with a Berlina Black NSX trying to sell theirs last year, but I never met them. Plus I did see a 02 - 05 Red NSX a couple times last summer, but wasn't ever able to catch up to meet them. I was in my DD at those times.

I would go with the 97 as long as it is in your budget. Then the lower mile 96. I think the check engine light on the other one would drive me nutz.

There use to be a Spa Yellow NSX in the area, but I haven't seen it for years. I suspect it may have been sold.

As you probably know, even though there are some NSX's in the area you rarely if ever see them.

I haven't ever seen one when I have been driving my NSX unless it was a planned meet.

I saw a black one going west once on West Dodge heading out of town and saw that 02-05 Red NSX three times last summer, but other than that I haven't seen any of them on the road.

There use to be some sightings of another 91 Red NSX in the area, mostly in the Bellevue area, that wasn't Nukum.

Somebody said they knew someone who works at Ameritrade who owns a Red NSX.

As for a person only owning a car for 1 yr and then selling it, as long as it passes a PPI. I wouldn't worrry too much about it. Some people get bored easily and once they have accomplished a quest it is time to move on to the next.

There can be lots of reasons. A change in their economical situation, wanting to try something new and different, maybe wanting the feel of more HP.

The NSX doesn't have the HP of the newer cars. If a person wants the feel of a high HP vehicle the NSX might be some what of a let down. But the NSX can still smoke most cars on any type of formula one type course, which it was originally designed to do.

I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. They are an incredible car in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck in your hunt. Keep us posted and of course we always expect pictures. :biggrin:

Rod

PS. I haven't had mine out yet this year... sounds like last weekend in the 90's would have been a fantastic time to have it out... but I'm currently here in Seattle, burr, visiting family.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you have checked the changes by year on the wiki:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year#Changes_for_1997

There were quite a few upgrades on the 97. The most desireable are the 3.2L engine and 6 spd.

If the cars are comparable and the 97 isn't too much more $$$ then the conscientious seems to be purchase the newest one you can afford.

As long as the PPI comes back okay.

Even though you really can't go too wrong with any of the years IMO.

We sure enjoy our 91 Formula Red NSX. I'm one who is partial to the pop-up head lights, which would allow me to move up to a 2001 :biggrin: But we have sentimental attachments to the NSX we now have. Then again, I just never know what the future may hold.

Just another thought in you decision process.

Back