Name for the NSX's replacement

Whenever I stop somewhere at a place like gas station, Starbucks or etc there is usually someone who comes up to me and asks me about the car, this is nothing new and we all get that all the time. A lot of those people don't know what the NSX is so I give them my usual 30 second speech but those who know usually ask what I think about the new NSX that's coming out soon. Most of the time I tell them that I am not planning on buying the next car since it won't come with a manual transmission plus it is supposed to be full of electronics that make the car drive by itself and if I wanted that I would trade my car for a Nissan GTR. Sometimes I think that the new car should not be called NSX anymore since it may be a little too far away from the first one, what are your thoughts?

This is interesting. I tend to agree with you because when I think of our original NSX I think driving purity (especially since mine is without power steering!) but with the new one you think technology wizard (which the GTR has all locked up). Although I like the concept and I am not against technological evolution, I would have much rather preferred a high revving light weight MR vehicle, but I think those days are behind us.

But from a business standpoint it makes sense for them to use the NSX name, since it would be that much harder to break into the supercar realm without any real brand value in that class. The NSX name at least gives it some heritage.

Last edited:
Mid engine, virtually the same dimensions except it's a bit wider, same stance (double staggered wheels), and powered by a traverse-mounted V6. Interior has pretty much the same layout and truly is reminiscent of the original. Several rumors quote near if not sub 3000lb curb weight. That sounds like an NSX to me. They may even make a non-hybrid version. Now, that V10 front engine concept was not an NSX!

FWIW, regardless of whether or not you want Acura to keep the name, they are currently advertising the upcoming car as the "NSX Concept", as you can see here.

Given that logic, the last one should have been called VTEC-EPS-titaniumconnectarod-alumiNSX?

The New Sportscar eXperimental was always about revolutionary measures, not gradual evolution like what they did in 1997 and 2002 that were 2-3 years late to game actually. I can respect the aim for revolution.

I've been saying for a long time that they'll call it the NSZ just like they did the CRZ :) Mark my words!

just like any other car, of course it'll be different than the NSX 20+ years ago.
look at other cars...

Skyline back in 1957
alsid-1-prince-skyline-1957.jpg

and Skyline now
10809_niss_v36_08_thumb-4b77abd574ce5.jpg

what about Corvette?
back in 1954
1953+corvette+C1.jpg

and now...
2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-f-large-thumb-598xauto-5969.jpg

Supra's lifespan was very short, but still, if you compare to 1981 and 1993 model..
toyota-supra-682150.jpg

%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9.JPG

Last edited:
USDM Acura:

Legend -> RL -> RLX
Integra -> RSX
Vigor -> TL -> TLX ('14)
SLX -> MDX
RDX
TSX
ILX
ZDX ∅
NSX -> _ _ _ :confused:

Going by current & ongoing Acura nomenclature, an "X" at the end seems to be the trend. And back then, there was the concept HPX (Honda Pininfarina Experimental) & later the NSX (New Sports Experimental).

No idea what Honda/Acura have planned. An NSX-E or NSX-Hybrid are as plausible as NLX, NEX, NHX, etc. The NSZ seems quite possible (CRZ being "Compact Renaissance Zero"), as aforementioned; it just doesn't phonetically flow. Mashup into SZX (Sports Zero Experimental? Super Zero Experimental?) makes sense, albeit a bit clinical.

I guess, it's currently known as NSX-Concept. NSX-E is somewhat appealing, could be for Electric -or- Evolution -or- Earth -or- Energy or along those lines. I hope it doesn't go the way of serializing such as NSX-II (similar to mark two), second-series, type-2, NSX-redeaux, etc! :p

For all we know, the "N" might not even be there (as "New" isn't that relevant now, regarding sportscar but it may hold for technology). So...

ASX... Advanced Sports Experimental? (seems like a real contender to me! could also be Alternative Sports Experimental)
ZSX... Zero Sports Experimental?
GSX... Green Sports Experimental? (*cough* Suzuki *cough*)
ESX... Electric (or Extreme) Sports Experimental?
WSX... World Sports Experimental?
FSX... Future Sports Experimental?
NSX... Next Sports Experimental?
New NSX... it works for Apple!

Or may be, just may be...

HSX... Hybrid Sports Experimental? ;)

Need to remember the Honda/Acura interest in the letter "H" in the past decade w/ their NSX/halo-sportscar concepts: HSC (Honda Sports Concept), HSV-10, etc. Likewise their interest in the letter "A" w/ the Acura Advanced Sports Car (AASC) & Acura Advanced Sedan (AAS).

May be a worthwhile exercise to see what Honda/Acura has trademarked! :cool:

... and I am still holding out for the scissor style swan-doors ala HSC! Please, please, and please... I would unequivocally buy the NSX-Concept then! :D

(not to mention that novelty alone would be big, big deal in the market segment)

Last edited:
just like any other car, of course it'll be different than the NSX 20+ years ago.
look at other cars...

Skyline back in 1957
alsid-1-prince-skyline-1957.jpg

and Skyline now
10809_niss_v36_08_thumb-4b77abd574ce5.jpg

what about Corvette?
back in 1954
1953+corvette+C1.jpg

and now...
2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-f-large-thumb-598xauto-5969.jpg

Supra's lifespan was very short, but still, if you compare to 1981 and 1993 model..
toyota-supra-682150.jpg

%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9.JPG

I guess that's what makes the 911 so special. Evolutionary progress while maintaining heritage. Why have a new "tech powerhouse" copy the old R8. But I digress... Let's just keep guessing names for it while the excitement fizzles for the next two years.

I think they're just going to call it the NSX. If they named it something else, people would ask what is it and it'll sound like its Honda/Acura's first attempt at a supercar. You name it the NSX and most people will know its going to be Honda/Acura's next supercar.

Back