• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA2 vs NA3?

I think that's the right abbrv above! Hope so lol I am asking if anyone here (I am sure they have) has owned the na2 generation and the na3 generation and can tell me the difference in "feel" to the driver?? I see the difference obviously with the fix head lights, slight changes, etc...but reading about them..they seem to be almost identical in performance and feel?? I can read and read though, it dose not compare in my opinion to those that DRIVE THEM!!! Soooooooo if anyone can enlighten me...please do...as always it's appreciated and I am continuing to torment you guys with questions till I find one lol

THX

no such thing as na3. the na3 you are probably referring to is the na2 nsx with the face lift which gives it a slightly faster top speed.

there are two engines... the 3.0 and the 3.2 liter. 3.2 is 1997-end of production in 2005.

I think that's the right abbrv above! Hope so lol I am asking if anyone here (I am sure they have) has owned the na2 generation and the na3 generation and can tell me the difference in "feel" to the driver?? I see the difference obviously with the fix head lights, slight changes, etc...but reading about them..they seem to be almost identical in performance and feel?? I can read and read though, it dose not compare in my opinion to those that DRIVE THEM!!! Soooooooo if anyone can enlighten me...please do...as always it's appreciated and I am continuing to torment you guys with questions till I find one lol

THX

From the Wiki:

NA: Naturally Aspirated, aka N/A. (Note: May occasionally be used as an abbreviation for North American market.)

NA1: First iteration normally aspirated OEM engine, 3.0 liters (1990-1996).

NA2: Second iteration normally aspirated OEM engine, 3.2 liters (1997-2005).

There is no such thing as an NA3, but there was a cosmetic redesign in 2002. As you can see from above, the NA1/2 designation refers to the engine configurations, not the body styles, or even the headlights. :wink:

You are correct again!

Yes the 2002 thru 2005 was the ones I was referring to..sorry about that

I was wondering the "feel" difference of the 6 speed earlier cars...97 thru 2001 I believe ... compared to the 2002-2005

Thx and sorry about that...my bad

You are correct again!

Yes the 2002 thru 2005 was the ones I was referring to..sorry about that

I was wondering the "feel" difference of the 6 speed earlier cars...97 thru 2001 I believe ... compared to the 2002-2005

Thx and sorry about that...my bad

They are the same cars. Both 3.2L & 6 speeds. The feel would be identical. The look is different.

Well that's pretty much true guys but for the 2002 - 2005 models they went to 17s all around, and the brakes got bigger too. I bet there were some other minor improvements as well. It's a logic of wheel size that has been reflected in Acura's LMP2 I believe campaign. Fronts and rears on their racing cars are the same and that is unique to Acura.

So maybe the feel isn't too different but it is improved to an extent at least Honda thought so.

Otherwise one thing for sure no one would argue that a 2005 model wouldn't feel better than a 97 just due to age even if miles were similar. I would love to drive both to see. Personally I just happen to like the concealed headlights myself but if I had the bucks I'd buy the 2005 in a heartbeat just to have a 3 year old NSX!

Na2 (97-01) and Na2 (02-05)

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

the Na2 02-05 has a bit of better aerodynamics ... but that can only be perceived @ high speeds ...

Wheels should not be that huge factor b/c the NA2's (97-01) have 16-17's, in theory those 16's are a bit lighter ....

Try to find the Zanardi, BEST of all NSX's in US, Na2, but coupe ... <3

Oscar

From the Wiki:

NA: Naturally Aspirated, aka N/A. (Note: May occasionally be used as an abbreviation for North American market.)

NA1: First iteration normally aspirated OEM engine, 3.0 liters (1990-1996).

NA2: Second iteration normally aspirated OEM engine, 3.2 liters (1997-2005).

There is no such thing as an NA3, but there was a cosmetic redesign in 2002. As you can see from above, the NA1/2 designation refers to the engine configurations, not the body styles, or even the headlights. :wink:

...not another one of these threads.

They made NA1 from 1991 to 2005. If it's automatic then it's NA1; even in 2005. Manuals follow the years listed above.

...not another one of these threads.

They made NA1 from 1991 to 2005. If it's automatic then it's NA1; even in 2005. Manuals follow the years listed above.

The automatics from 1997 thru 2005 are not known as NA1's but yes do have the 3.0L V6 and tip transmission.

Last edited:
The automatics from 1997 thru 2005 are not known as NA1's but yes do have the 3.0L V6 and tip transmission.

So what do you call them? Everyone keeps saying "NA1 vs NA2 refers to the engine".

So what is a 2004 Automatic with the 3.0 engine called? lol

So what do you call them? Everyone keeps saying "NA1 vs NA2 refers to the engine".

So what is a 2004 Automatic with the 3.0 engine called? lol

I think automatics are so rare and are not sought after by people who care about the engine differences so noone really calls them anything except NSX w/auto.

Yeah actually it states in the VIN that the car is in fact, an NA1.

How about we call them NA3's just for fun from now on?

I mean, really... who else even talks about NSX's except for nsxprime? We're a dying breed.... might as well make our own rules up on the way out. :wink:

Well at least my NSX ignorance has gotten a new topic going lol See...was just wondering if the '02-'05 was worth the extra cash then the 97-01's and here I have started the NA3 conversation...perhaps it will spur Acura to revive the car after all LOL

I think NSX GT means a few 1/10ths faster. Few seconds would mean bigger engine then we really would have had a N3. Too bad we don't.

But just reading the latest R&T about the Nismo which should be dismo, as in dissapointing as they just beat out our NSXs with 370 hp - took that to get it. I'd say our cars maybe old but they are still "cookin".

I also vote yes for making up our own nomenclature for N1, N2 and N3s as the last gen with the body improvements.

By the way what did Honda do to achieve that few 10ths faster for the O2 - 05s anyway. I mean if the engines didn't change how'd they ring that out???

slightly better aero, and there is a unconfirmed myth about how the last of the usdm nsx's had the nsx-r blue printed engine them. This whole thing started when Vance's car a.k.a Vanchu dynoed 300whp on different dynos with just bolt ons.

also the Nismo 370Z is a high 12 second car from the factory, its just that when the test were conducted the engine hasn't fully been broken in yet. if you look on my350z.com maybe of the 07-08 350Z with the HR engine runs low 13's at 105-106mph stock, so a 350hp Z would be even faster.

Last edited:
Well at least my NSX ignorance has gotten a new topic going lol See...was just wondering if the '02-'05 was worth the extra cash then the 97-01's and here I have started the NA3 conversation...perhaps it will spur Acura to revive the car after all LOL

I think for short money you can buy the "NA3" over the "NA2" ;)

Worth it just for the upgraded look etc.. I thought the flip ups dated the car a bit much and is why I sold my 97 and bought the 02'.

As I recalled, the transmission on the 03-04 is different than the transmission in the 97-02 & 05. For the 05 model, Honda went back to the 97-02 transmission. I can't find the post right now, but I hope someone can confirm my recollection. Where is BEN (our human NSX encyclopedia)?:wink:

How about we call them NA3's just for fun from now on?

I mean, really... who else even talks about NSX's except for nsxprime? We're a dying breed.... might as well make our own rules up on the way out. :wink:

If we use the NA3 designation, then I vote we also just start calling them all an "X" as well. :wink:

Back