NA2 Type-R suspension or Bilstein / Eibach combo....best performance??

Any one actually bought any performance NSX R parts from SOS? Such as the brake system, suspension, mesh engine cover, etc? I'm not talking about the door sill plate, red "H" badges.

I got my NSX-R NA2 suspension from SoS.

More R&D and better technology than what Honda used to develop the Type-R?? :confused:

it's still developed for the mainstream buyer in mind. and it's not cheap relative to aftermarket sets. never driven one myself but the over all concensus on the nsx type r in japan is that it's not all that.

I still think ohlins is the best, because they have spent more hours testing than other houses. That's all they do is suspension and they only offer them to select cars. Take Tein and HKS for example, their budgets are spread thin over so many models. Also I've tried the mentioned brands and others. There really is a difference.

It might cost 2x's as much, and doesn't feel 2x's as good when driving normal speeds, but being able to feel the car at high speeds in a corner and excecuting correctly gives me priceless pleasure. On the circuit and mountains, all other variables held constant, suspension set up and brakes are way more important than power IMO.

Technically I don't know that much about what makes a good suspension, but I know the time spent on R&D is very important. (Wheel choice to match setup is also very important.) Not that the lower market ones aren't good. For lower market, I prefer Zeal Endless.

nsx set up requires a lot more than most other cars. There fore I'd trust the guys who've spent more time doing it. As the saying goes, it's easy to go fast in an nsx but going really fast is totally different. If you just want low down looks and ok ride comfort, casual speeding on sunday, probably any of the brands will do.

I have heard stories of JIC suspension broke off during driving. Some one witness the suspension failure of a 350z on the freeway and the front suspension literally collapsed. I also heard recently, there was a NSX involved in an accident which was potentially caused by the JIC suspension.

Any body know anything about it?

A cheap, effective alternative would be retaining your Bilsteins and adding Zanardi springs, Type-R front sway bar and Type-R chassis bars. Both bar kits don't compromise the ride at all and the Bilsteins should be able to handle the Zanardi springs.

Sorry, no they won't in the front. The Bilsteins are designed for a OEM front spring rate of 3.5 kg/mm. It's not recommended to combine them with 6.5 kg/mm springs(Zanardi)

@Meeyatch1: The NA2R suspension will be of best performance (mainly on a flat track) but I recall several people who sold their kit due to the very, very harsh ride on public roads. Have a search here because recently things calmed down.

Something Zanardi-like will improve things over the Eibach/Bilsteins significantly. IMO the Eibach springs really suck, much too soft at the initial rate, behaved like a Citroen DS (if you know that car in the US). Last year I went from Eibach/Bilstein to something Zanardi-like with the Type-R stabilizer/chassis-bar stuff and the car now drives a lot better. Comfort is a little bit better (!) than OEM.
If you want to keep costs down an no compromise too get the Zanardi springs and revalve your front (at least) Bilsteins to their spring rate. Some more things need to be done then but just as a first input.

There's no BEST SUSPENSION for a car. Only a suspension that fits you preferences. It's not a single component (like Ohlins or whatever) that will 'improve' the cars handling, IT'S THE HOLE PACKAGE and that's the reason why something that has been 'engineered' together is most possibly better than taking springs form shelf A and shocks from shelf B.

IMO stay away of the 10+ kg/mm springs for the public road. :D If you can't sleep at night until you've tried the NA2R suspension please go out and try it because it's very interesting to get feedbacks of drivers who used the same setup BEFORE. :wink:

Last edited:
Has anyone just copied the Type-R suspension specs using konis and ground controls?
I believe koni or beilstein will custom valve their shocks, so just get them to the same bound and rebound as Type-R. And I believe when you order ground controls you can specify the spring rate, so just get the same spring rate at Type-R springs.

Just a thought. I still have stock suspension myself...

I believe koni or beilstein will custom valve their shocks, so just get them to the same bound and rebound as Type-R.

Bilstein will do this for sure but I'm not sure about Koni. I had to do with Bilstein and trust them 100%. The main reason why the NA2R suspension only offers a harsh ride is the damper settings for <0.05 m/s where it is very stiff improving turn-in reaction which is good for a flat track. Just remember that stiffer is not better and sometimes dangerous on the public road as the wheel or even the body may jump over not 'perfectly flat' roads.
I've tried to get the NA1R springs which are 8 kg/mm on the front and 6 kg/mm on the rear but no way to get them. Bilstein asks you about your preferences, driving style and spring rates. If you tell them that you like to beat the shit out of your car don't get surprised if it's as hard as the OEM NA2R. If you tell them that you like ultimate street performance with a tade of comfort as well they'll mainly soften the low-speed damping rates to reach these controversal goals. Nice compromise.

Okay...I am going to swap this out....if someone with an NA2 NSX-R suspension would like to trade out, I will trade my Bilstein Sport shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs plus some cash for your NA2 NSX-R suspension. I would like to do this before NSXPO...so that gives me a few weeks. Anyone interested? :biggrin:

Choose Ohlins, Choose Moton/JRZ, Choose Penske, Choose Sachs, Choose Bilstein :rolleyes:

-But the uncertainty of not knowing what to get (custom damper) & it costs too much...

-Can't wait until KW comes out with their setup and then these problems would be solved...:biggrin:

Choose Ohlins, Choose Moton/JRZ, Choose Penske, Choose Sachs, Choose Bilstein :rolleyes:

-But the uncertainty of not knowing what to get (custom damper) & it costs too much...

-Can't wait until KW comes out with their setup and then these problems would be solved...:biggrin:

I didn't know KW was working on an NSX application:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have them on my S2K and they are incredible.

I seem to get the feeling that stuntman has given kw input on an nsx app or he might be marketing them as well.

Haha. I just like their products, but I have a lot of experience with everything I listed and more.

BUT, I think KW offers a great product that is as good if not better than some of the more expensive options (Moton, Sachs, Comptech/Koni,Penske) for the price of the single-adjustable offerings from Asia.

For most people out there, the ride quality is very German as well as the valving is very good on a track -and should be more than enough for almost anyone out there -for price closer to off-the-shelf Asian dampers. Don't think that these are budget dampers by any means, they are high quality dampers from a company with an extensive racing pedigree.

They are currently developing a kit in Germany and I should be testing it here in the US soon.

Last edited:
Haha. I just like their products, but I have a lot of experience with everything I listed and more.

BUT, I think KW offers a great product that is almost as good if not on par with some of the more expensive options for the price of the single-adjustable offerings from Asia.

For most people out there, the ride quality is very German as well as the valving is very good on a track -and should be more than enough for almost anyone out there -for price much closer to off-the-shelf Asian dampers.

They are currently developing a kit in Germany and I should be testing it here in the US soon.

Sweet! Will it be a KW2 or KW3? Hopefully KW2:smile:

Back