Na1 starts up like normal then immediately dies.

So this pin is just completely loose and won't lock.
Is there anyway to fix this without ghetto rigging it? I figure some glue while I wait for the new connector may work.
While it hasn't been too much fun, its been a learning process.
When I order the new connector, should I solder it in with some strain relief to prevent this from happening in the future?

As an emergency patch (I don't like the 'term' fix for this), you could try shoving the terminal back in with some cyano or epoxy glue. The terminal typically has a little raised metal spring tang which locks behind a little tab in the plastic shell when inserted into the shell. This prevents removal of the terminal without an extraction tool. If the terminal is coming out, the tang could be broken off or bent making he terminal junk. However, given that the center of your shell is broken, the terminal might be OK and it may be the retaining tab that is missing. Having both parts on hand for the repair is a good plan.

The best method to connect the terminal to the wire is with the correct crimping tool. I don’t know whether the terminal is open barrel or closed barrel. The tool has to match the crimp type and the crimp size.If you search cycleterminal.com or contact them they may be able to advise on the correct style of tool. Do not try to use a crimp tool meant for those common insulated terminals sold everywhere. If possible, I suggest buying some spare terminals and practise crimping the terminals on some spare wire before you re terminate the resistor connector. Doing a correct crimp involves stripping the wire to the correct length, positioning wire in the crimp tool correctly and positioning the terminal in the tool correctly. Depending on the tool and the crimp type the crimp may involve a two step process. Its a skill / practise thing. Getting everything positioned correctly and staying in position when doing the repair can be tricky. If you bolex the crimp on the car you will be saying f*** numerous times, particularly if you don’t have another terminal for the fix. I like the two step crimping tools better than the single step crimping tool just because it is easier to see the position of the wire in the crimp. Bit of a hassle to purchase the correct tool for just two terminals. You had access to some HP test equipment soperhaps there is a crimp tool laying around someplace?

Soldering is not a good option and a last resort. If you get the terminal hot enough to make a good solder joint the solder will migrate back up the wire strands with the result being the wire just outside of the shell will no longer be flexible and may be subject to fracture from long term vibration. The solder may also migrate to the retention tang eliminating flex and potentially making future removal impossible.

Kaz mentioned this. Look at the wires just at the back of the shell. If heat has caused the insulation to become inflexible, I would be inclined to try cutting back to good wire and do a complete re termination.

Strain relief – open barrel terminals have two parts to the crimp. The front section crimps the bare wire for the electrical connection and back section crimps around the insulation jacket to prevent the wire from being pulled out of the terminal.If you want to try to reduce the risk of strain pulling the terminals out the back of the shell you could try a short piece of double walled (i.e. glue lined) high ratio heat shrink overlapping the back of the shell and the wire where it enters the shell. Don’t make the heat shrink too long because it becomes inflexible when shrunk and just transfers the stress point to another location on the wire.The better way to avoid this strain is to insure there is enough slack in the wire so that when installed there is no pull on the wire where it enters the connector shell.This may be a challenge if you have to cut back the wire to re establish a good connection.

Your resistor looks very clean / very new for a car of its age so I expect that the resistor may have been replaced by a previous owner. The terminal damage / strain on the mating connector may have occurred when the connector was separated for replacement. After 20+ years of being together, those connectors can be very hard to get apart even if you have the locking tab completely depressed. Chances are the wire may have received some pulling in the effort to get the connector apart causing the damage.

Last edited:
I'm going to ruin my eyes by the size of the letters...:)

I agree. Hopefully I have fixed it. The text editor in the quick reply was doing its interpretation of deranged. I gave up and drafted the reply in Notepad and then pasted with a weird font resulting.

Could be duplicated with Old Guy's post but that font size.....

If one of the female terminal is loose, that connector is dead.
Not recommend using it as you could damage the male terminal on the resistor side if misaligned.

Since it's loose, why not de-pin the other terminal as well.
Basically, two female terminals without the connector housing.

Check the female terminal by inserting them into the male terminal on the resistor side one at a time.
Pay attention to the friction.
You should feel some friction and not like loose fitting.

1etR0MwUxVjP6zSDAafQl8Ce1CxeQuwYZBcyWRG5-mu8asTqKKtwsbKnQs8rACl4edRkGOaQxfsqAD0DpFfyAbmoD_6U5PGUEGlIQvYtteEWwSnGMyHaiM_nVH8HVDrABiANZnlcYGDgfkl5llyZgaPwUB2rGfwrnOmqWdU6Z6d_2OGYb5n4jpVtDuEOqiC5DUZ5i2LDevjiCFuj6tScW-sX46Se0YffjCKIWyMa1loJ3GkcefwkzgigvnCHq91PPBQMD96J4b_5fPOAf5SBPUuEwaRrUdajRWMkyjc8xB7PSu3jeuOR61Dk_3ocGhW17KUAsFn-G0vRDvtRZ-S5fnJ5yWAXpvQjSy778tryd3rKSYx13y772WGUmPOlfQWL5DfWzEtUYYT8d7HJyODVjHZihXFp4lWLk1mlG_jUjZpwnAvQEA76Mst2apnuuCk-_Yd7j0dyUwN7faABNIEDbQ1k04-V-TS1AZiRcYEU5d1VdQf4Waz5Op9ET-msjtng0uVDmC5FjMXROn0-Q-PT7mI5_SojRyTRXhSjUIqLZRmPwGKV9bjYao7NUdY2yKvr41C3JZ6xehzi6gQ1gwqD-DdoaTXaRnrdRFh8aheXkIuw3-P15slXg953nz4-HJTwSfvcCgnjmCpe-nbjsfejNvXheRhPgkIs=w1080-h608-no

As in my previous post, check the state of the spring loaded rail/body (marked blue).
If moisture got inside and caused corrosion, the spring loaded section can break away along the two yellow arrows.
This will result in loose feeling when male terminal inserted.

iVLgN8VF-vjrCfZPQmqbeMszkCUtIU3Jw9gjJ-eQ0_7eYcLh86JFs1LptE7LgJXQjnHDYktIDohlBQTjVzson-Rd2A91DpQmrKFnUVBVE8qWO6X8gi0vYupBlZasiTi_DWZ_YQF27eJAywLsPmCnKW_35CP1fN5VKo8-4DHFMTv4DR0d3ZPsvQoxYYx2NpU8BPWywI6GQmwNC4PI6XOEkf0FK6HeMtGPFb4SpP1V9xrCq8bMzWbrAuxMRh0So21viabQmuGibn4-uHmHc673jBgLZnhkqaeU6IIwHQTe7tzPD2N8tmdOHROFwur_CmkdtSVCjpXyG7yYLVhsv3vZWokENGEDTUn5vsFdYqfKcTFflZ3-orvu1ES2VtWsz0y_eKgLOcERqBSMFt-4axf0dnJUAkSWGGZGw6-QR5xl2TCO7pKFQW6fjkNtaZImmSZgFFhZ6R1GagL1TMGddeH22Qe4-4Eq_b4h7pU7oD8e-ROTFVmcR6jRtBDvfqh-JLhUeE4eQwoWxw7LP3FssxuauPASU2j3iNA2Jz4ZcjC_2hVkpz8ncQj9BvBEw1vgjzVD86C5IoWgm60DZ9dhWmM2NjUo1ryhBhLKm-L71KtFC3epB8-25vpqNtf0SP7UbVLXKY4ryKr-qMQ3cUgZ3NqdI4qrvuz2tVJ2=w1080-h608-no

sD-V_B4p689n6vlNmVj782TL15EwSBgfoas2X2r4KnxZtJMRX-01Zj7HS5Um7gmjkhK6JY5pzomWw_n8xSzjbSvJsRsDTQQEywgfW-CqB_f6w6skG5koP5nOfR7UsVbq6CyaGJpsk1B8lEI_t4lidKptu98JAlTrr3KNzfbEyafT7Kn89VY-tFGN4QaBMTxRPdYmkKM7uqpios_xQp5Bs1UgDwbxb9j1Ab5UGtkbDG3BaxFW-IBTYy_MODfM-Jh4MqDW_ql8Jpa2zpjqP1fMemeUh2ktnPOtkFb26hMiQs0HQfcxcRvelHGTjywJ39HCquATibYT-VRPz-VKZxvjnE2TK5GtXxOvDdq88a_ttcAucBk6OT9dRCmDxzeldUqwFDSKOywL9BS_xpuztvy8tXO14Ft7JbzCmdmYPFz2S5yyF6-phlgoVe4akiIWufMx2EOcfhW5LYAarTtVERMVt8GmvyLOLvzcXbSb9s26kUeyrn0M0gbODBYDUubNhFsUkjpcUzbAWE-9FZZ-FXVDeBwABy179X-2PbyxIVc3h_ZFS1XsQL0arWgsrHJxr4XGcjRf4PVgUljislOK7m743YrMH-i6bBdYchWszlG2w5PgEXfsPW355jaR4-U9bIHvra_UwuqSHuiHkEo9T3pYPYAc6HWdvIxH=w1080-h608-no

a6YorWNHpNxF_7xXASO4reXETfCJXyj1nTVkDwiICIfGGjqFSPPxxMkBjH6qrj2DhsOu5RMZAL4NxpaNbjtixFkkbFGoTbpmwZJRtIeuSbJvD_tNHSPuf9o0TzdEBmg-N1pTYCHKW2jtpKRxyzy5PX35m7ndZ-aVK5HMf3sUxXS0ipYKgtAY0wnli3gbR--OHZkWTmrN3cmwIppDnG1NJy02Iv3kDQ9P1oNMECLl8w3mINeD8NK7rox5rreNscPK7jQljTuLQQmh8aoMrvoatrYoRX0AVcG7hVfSE664cqLy7HCBJ-VX_iIDB-4T5O2R-Pxf37Yvi-8hReUjWTbh5ocmCiMq9Oku76cf9hdy1smFd1W7wDVECAvCRtXVjytaYR3LFjCekUK5tMhTx58eh87EG0iA5hg75FDfp6xBLfSSKZtXZKiDEYEsb7znT6ikpm-NJehJ-HZL55_uSicWGWEsYleYHdvI3zSEPMAHj3WwkRCfNtEU0xAps_KjcThlQKM5iitbWmGOTQUDp8kypa_yhnCw6RYj2rwqD5q-SSMy0P31XktJkiPZO6FkQU-4JvKrYFACsFcqK1mvPDCGQa-zdCo3Q-8kKdzltXMo5K9QQ3eIuwhXbHPfl5d36PuRHX6coIir-nSVShRxRYBWKinlMlUoSwyp=w1080-h608-no

-C466HOyi7ngOjNwM6knGHwedkakH4W-7h4MJHzlZb3SN_ZKlawReKnU_Th2n8PqsgeQa0YaxL6rX4zbV_854GCNtuFbHOA7dRLIeGUVGUNPC17aXSZdv5s10CPzo3EKbXYJTmF5SVT5mU0C_EuMuvM8HYwe0TZgk2BjxKx4m_Dzo_Z5IDMIW1O0NQxClmPZS0Sc7iHhYx6jl2xURq0RFHcwJKEDpv3sZhCm0MjxR9qY4ReZoyW4f0rUXNSOQkR99fnOoRI9D7kudGcloERaSQzSq_pE91XhuvOya32M8VDIzvDwq7cpJpu3Fujn9Nj93xyKO435UWAli0JZ_16v9AOwYD737WQAAHHlh7pDCccbieCyRNllRymacV71TMZWUg1GIlFf2qbh1bUSULUQodVqnc7o5iyOE0nBylKZEVIpzUjC2t6WHrRUnKxoc7r1VXuiGJEyxB-l5UJ76gFQvU639pcp2u23wtjwb-0HRW70ClIkcpMM0jMTGpfdKoMzD8hMZxmi4MFYPBmEOljBNfjcgctvLG9vP-yKXgs5preS3QUUJRUWiZwlEZVGcCvdE3sQANsU7ttNyfu4p7BIqbKkk4ro5In_w8s857BN3SrEzL1SHKJoO2B7wCLJ0TpqpMSrwokkLwxUZJIGfZUQxYcoUexPyru_=w1080-h608-no

These photo shows how the spring loaded section moves when male terminal inserted.
Although this terminal is non-WPC type, it's 090 and the basic mechanism is the same on the WPC one.

Since you seem to have access to electronics equipment and materials, if you want quick temporary fix, just cover each female terminal entire body with heatshrink tube.
Insert them into the male connector on the resistor box.
Polarity doesn't matter.
Just remember that you need to remove the tube once the replacement connector arrives so don't damage/melt the cable sleeve.

If the cable clamp at the side of eng bay is fixed properly, very unlikely for the female terminals to come loose but since they are Live terminals while eng running, secure them using cable tie or something.
If using electrical tape, please remember that the eng bay can get fairly hot so the adhesive can soften causing extra movement so be careful even when using the high temperature spec tape.

Probably the safest method is to bypass the resistor at the fuel pump relay connector and force the fuel pump in high speed mode until you get the new connector.

Just keep that 2pin female connector disconnected and insulate the opening.
Behind the seat, at the firewall, locate the fuel pump relay.

Either activate the relay by applying 12V at the control side of the relay or just disconnect the relay and simply create short circuit loop at the relay connector on the chassis loom using 250 terminals.
This will force the fuel pump always in high speed mode.

The only thing you need to be aware is that even with the pressure regulator, if you force the fuel pump in high speed mode at idle rpm, the fuel pressure is slightly higher than where it should be.
There is always delay in O2 feedback control so this may or may not fail your idle rpm smog test.

Unless you can secure the wires and prevent vibration, please do not use soldering at the terminal.
It will eventually break off.

Even if you think that the cable was secured, certain order/frequency vibration can travel through the wire without visually shaking.
On race cars, even the flex circuit can break off and despite the MIL spec connector in use, the vibration can cause fretting corrosion so this shows what vibration can do.

Hope you can get the new connector and terminal very soon.

Kaz

Last edited:
Alright, thanks guys. I heat shrunk my "jumper" and wrapped it up with high temp electric tape for the time being. I only plan to put a few miles on it while I wait for the new connectors.
I've reached out to Joe, and he's been very helpful. Not sure on the time frame, but I did inquire the type of crimping tool in which I'd need and I'll go from there.

I'm just going to order the male connector side as well to be used as a "jumper" in case I get stranded in the future.
As for the shorting at the relay that sounds a lot more involved, is that to avoid the jumper from shorting out?

I don't have any smog testing or any emissions at all for that matter due to the age of the vehicle. so as long as a little richer mixture isn't going to wash my cylinders or turn my cats into blast furnaces, I think I'll be alright while I wait. Thanks again.

Last edited:
As for the shorting at the relay that sounds a lot more involved, is that to avoid the jumper from shorting out?

I think Kaz might have been referring to the case where you had de pinned the female terminals from the plastic housing and then just shoved the bare female terminals into the male terminals on the resistor. In such case there is no retaining latch which would prevent the female terminals from backing out.

Shorting out at the relay is fairly easy. You need to remove the relay from its socket, make a short jumper with two male spade terminals and shove the terminals into the socket positions associated with the blk/yel and blk/red wires. See page 11-101 in the 1991 service manual for details. If you are happy with your temporary fix and it is not going to become semi permanent, then I would not bother.

Last edited:
I ordered the new terminals and connectors, along with a set of crimpers. Hope they get here sooner than later. As for the service manual is there a place I'd be able to reference that online?

Years ago I scored a complete .pdf of the 1991 service manual; but, I no longer remember where I got it. Even though, I have a 2000 with a complete hardcopy service manual, I like the electrical diagrams in the 1991 manual better. The complete zipped .pdf is > 45 MB. If you have an email that won't choke on mungo file attachments, you could PM me your email and I could see if I can send it to you or do you have Google shared drive I could drop it at?

If you search Prime, you will find a thread where a member has posted an indexed hot linked version of the service manual. I prefer the full .pdf version; but, I don't argue with member's efforts to make info available to the community.

Last edited:
[MENTION=35128]JDMB20TDA[/MENTION], for the workshop manual, your own Wiki here on Prime;
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Service_manuals

1991servman.pdf is one pdf file covering most of the pages.
If you prefer scrolling through the pages, this is the one for you.
Please note that some of the way the document was scanned caused misalignment and thus, you may get wrong info.
Also, some of the torque figures, diagram, description, etc were mistyped in the original and revised in the later version so be careful.
Even in the later version, some of the mistakes were still there.
Depending on the market, these mistakes were corrected through the TSB so you may never know the correct info.

The '1991-1996 Service Manual.zip' and '1997-2005 Service Manual.zip' consist of 100s of pdf files linked together.
If you click on the top 'tab' or the blue highlighted text, it will jump to the appropriate page although many of them are missing.
Still, useful for many cases.

Ovbiously, above are all based on the LHD model and in English.
For your referrence, you can also find many of the TSB through Wiki.

Kaz

Kaz

Where does one get RHD manuals in English?

(I also have a KB1 Legend [Acura RL] as well as a JDM NSX.)

The lack of RHD manuals is disturbing.

Drew

Last edited:
The obvious choice would be the European workshop manual covering the KE spec (UK RHD model).
I don't have one but referenced it like more than 20 years ago and I know some of the UK owners have one.
It's Honda branded and depending on which sections you are looking at, fairly different from the Acura version especially in the emission area.

I think the RHD NSX under Acura brand was available in HK but not sure there was specific workshop manual for that market.

I just use all the RHD manuals released in Japan but they are all in Japanese and again, many differences at several sections compared to other country models.

Kaz

Back