My Visit to Singer Vehicle Design and a talk with Rob Dickinson

As some of you know, I've started Resuka Design to be a company that will renew and refresh high mileage 1991-1994 NSXs into a car I think will be the ideal NSX. This NSX will be built from the ground up and have a bespoke CF body, interior, suspension, and engine specifically made to Resuka's Specs. As my inspiration, I've always looked towards Singer Vehicle Design and its founder/creative director Rob Dickinson. As luck would have it, someone I know knew him well and Rob and I communicated via email for some time and he invited me to his shop to see the process and provide me with some advice.

I couldn't take many pics, as it seemed a little rude. But here's one of two cars getting ready to be delivered. They're absolutely stunning in person.

In any case, Rob was a complete gentleman and even more - a complete car enthusiast. We easily hit it off and quickly were talking about ways to make the Resuka NSX true to the original intent of Honda engineers/designers. He was deeply enthusiastic and even has offered to help guide me through the process of dealing with the troubles he faced in bringing Singer to the market.

Interestingly, he adores the NSX. He told me he sees them around and really wants one. He even knew details about the NSX-R and the shift knob, steering wheel etc! The guy is just great.

More incredible are his cars. He took me around to each of the stations in his shop - and showed me the intricate details of the cars. The amount of fabrication and hot rodding necessary to make a Singer is beyond belief. It had me doing calculationsi n my head about how I could possibly swing buying a 350k-500k Singer. They're just so damn desirable.

I'll end this by just saying that my visit with Rob at Singer has inspired me to continue building my vision of the NSX. He stated it very clearly - it has to be my vision and mine alone. Take suggestions and criticisms, but don't be beholden to them be true to what you want to design - was his guiding wisdom.

It took Rob 3 years from original idea to unveiling at Quail during Monterey Car Week - he just had to make it perfect. I would bet that it will take me just as long - to make everything I want perfect.

I like the idea of creating a Resuka NSX in the mold of the Singer 911.

You could schedule the debut of your creation at a NSXPO :cool:

Brian

Back