My top 10 favorite cars as of 2003

Man, don't yield to peer pressure.. I think the 3000GT/Stealth are awesome cars, and deserving of a spot on your list!

NSX
360 Modena
911 GT2
GT-R
Supra
New Cobra
Murcielago
F50
DC2 ITR

F50's low on the list because its age. But I have a soft spot for V12's that rev to 9000 rpm. Sue me. ITR's the only FWD to make it to the list, I guess the Neon SRT-4 is the runner up FWD. The 911 GT2 is pretty much tied with the Turbo in my mind. The Turbo offers a power kit that ups the hp to 450 so its all beans.

And the new SVT Cobra is high on the list because its my prediction that it will be the next generation 'Supra' (ie tuner's favorite). Heck they're already putting down 500 RWHP and running deep into the 11's with just some bolt-on's.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Man, don't yield to peer pressure.. I think the 3000GT/Stealth are awesome cars, and deserving of a spot on your list!

It's not the peer pressure. I still like the 3000GT, I'm just not sure I'd want one instead of the other cars on the list.

By the way, what's up with the Stealth? That's a Dodge, right? I always thought those were Dodge's attempt at a 3000GT wannabe... but I'm just guessing. Which came first? And what are the specs on the Stealth?

Originally posted by naaman:

It's not the peer pressure. I still like the 3000GT, I'm just not sure I'd want one instead of the other cars on the list.

By the way, what's up with the Stealth? That's a Dodge, right? I always thought those were Dodge's attempt at a 3000GT wannabe... but I'm just guessing. Which came first? And what are the specs on the Stealth?

With regards to the 3000GT, I am just giving my unbiased opinion from an ex-owner's perspective.

The 3000GT and Stealth are mechanically identical cars. They are twins and are DSMs. The Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser were all twins as well.

DSM, or Diamond Star Motors, is a partnership that Chrysler and Mitsubishi "officially" formed in 1985, but their relationship began as early as 1970. In 1970 Chrysler agreed to import and distribute cars manufactured by Mitsubishi Motors Corporation under the Plymouth and Dodge brand names. In 1985, the Diamond Star Motors Division was created out of necessity for each side. Each company believed they would benefit greatly. Chrysler sought to replace its front wheel drive sports car, which was cancelled in 1986, with a new sports car. Mitsubishi looked to increase their foreign sales. Since, each company's budget was tight both agreed to pool engineering and design resources to make their new car a reality. This partnership ended in 1999 when both the 3000GT and Eclipse were discontinued. The 2000 Eclipse is not considered a DSM because there was no involvement with Chrysler in its development.

In case you want to know, the 3000GT chasis is based on the eclipse chasis. The SL model had 218hp, the base model also had 218hp up until 1997, when Mitsubishi decided to cut costs and slap a SOHC V6 that created 161hp. The '91-'93 VR4 had 300hp, and '94+ had 320hp. Specs are identical to the Stealth, except that the base model on the Stealth always had 161hp.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

Originally posted by RyRy210:
Chrysler sought to replace its front wheel drive sports car, which was cancelled in 1986, with a new sports car.

Thanks for shedding light on the matter, RyRy. What sports car are you referring of that was canceled in 86? Daytona?

BTW, I've always been a fan of the Stealth/Talon variety of the cars, and was bummed when they were canceled.

(Mass produced) cars that I'd like to own some day:

94-96 Dodge Stealth R/T
91-95 Toyota MR2
95-96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
91-96 Corvette

Exotic cars I'd like to own some day:

97-01 NSX
Ferrari 355
Ferrari 348
pre-'03 Viper GTS

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Thanks for shedding light on the matter, RyRy. What sports car are you referring of that was canceled in 86? Daytona?

Yes, the Dodge Daytona. I believe it was also marketed under Chrysler as the Laser.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

Originally posted by Brian2by2:
My dad has a 24 valve V6 DOHC Stealth sittin in the garage. And it says right on the motor 222hp...its the R/T model

Didn't they make a awd TT stealth?

That's the R/T Turbo which is equivalent to the 3000GT VR4. Horsepower is 218hp - 222hp, it depends on year. I believe the drop was because of tighter emmissions.

I've been to 3000GT/Stealth meets before and I've never seen an R/T with 222hp printed on the engine.

Here's a dodge stealth R/T engine:

stealth2_lg.jpg

Here's a 3000GT engine:

1046483607911_DSC04986.JPG

The only difference is the Mitsubishi Logo.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 05 March 2003).]

Back