• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"My" tiiming belt question?

So theres probably been a zillion TB questions and search did'nt help much, also went to Wiki but could'nt figure out the chart:redface:. I know everyone {including myself} has their own opinion but heres what I need to know. My TB/WP service was performed by Niello Acura on Aug. 22nd 2006 with 48,472 miles. The car just turned 69,000. It's driven maybe twice a week to the gym and a little on the weekends, otherwise it sets in the garage. When do I "really" need to have the TB/WP service done again? Thank you.

My belt was also done in 2006. I am planning on 2013. It is not just about miles and driving conditions. Rubber dries out over time. It just does. Plastic and nylon become brittle over time. Your timing belt is made out of rubber with nylon cords running through it. Your question is really about risk tolerance. Honda says the rubber and nylon in your timing belt is good to go for 6-7 years under all driving conditions, usage, weather, etc. After that, the risk of failure starts to go up. The longer you wait, the higher the risk. That is not to say that driving conditions don't affect belt life. I am sure a 100% track NSX has a shorter belt life than a weekend cruiser, but the problem is that there are so many variables no one really knows how much shorter, even the experts. So, the advice is to change your belt at the specified interval. No one wants to be the guy who says "sure, you can run it for at least 10 years" and then have your engine blow up at 8 1/2. I say follow the interval and drive worry-free, since after year 7 you are on borrowed time.

I think a lot of these threads come down to "I really dont want to have to do it, and I want to feel ok about that"

We should create some kind of really simple sticky. Its your car. If you want to change it once every 90k miles even if that takes 35 years, knock yourself out.

But what SHOULD you do? You should change it when the book says. The rest is just endless argument based on largely subjective personal opinion, anecdotal evidence, specific bias one way or the other, etc.

There are Ferraris that go without a major 10 years also and a Ferrari is *far* more prone to failure outside of the change interval.

Neglect is neglect though. To me, and I think to most buyers, a car where the maintenance schedule has been flagrantly ignored is abused.

It's also kind of funny that there are 1000's of threads with cars having $50,000 wide body conversions, $10k in insane lowering and "HELLA FLUSH!" suspension and wheel work, massive power add mods to the tune of $20k+, and there are NO questions about the money getting poured in, yet this $2000 vital service is so controversial! LOL

Why is it that people have no issues buying an NSX, completely taking it apart and rebuilding it into something completely different (sinking the cost of a condo into it) and yet SO FEW cars have EVER had a TB changed!?

My car is the same... It passed through *two* Primers before me and has >$30K in mods and yet it fell to ME to do the *first* TB/WP on a 99! LOL

Last edited:
And thanks for the links Tyra.:wink: I did search timing belt but likely did'nt dig deep enough. I don't search much so still kinda new at that. In all seriousness though, I do appreciate the links.

who you gonna let work on your car david?

where you getting the parts in houston?

i think i might do mines also:smile:

Last edited:
So August 2012 will be 6 years. Its safe to say thats when to get it changed?

The interval for the NA1 cars was 6 years. For the NA2, it's 7. As I am fairly sure the belt is the same for both engines, I am going with the NA2 interval. Most likely Honda revised the belt life up after a few years of data. So August 2013 should be ok.

and of course learn from others' mistakes, don't listen to promises and ALWAYS use a reputable, professional shop with experience in your particular machine as it will save you money and aggrevation.

I have made the hard decision to park my X until I get the TB/WP done. I say "hard decision" because I just can't stop driving it!

Doing the right thing always costs the most, but in the end it's always worth it.

Mine has 69780 miles, had since 65000 back in 08 and nothing has been done as per previous owner and Larry B, as per this forum I'm taking a chance but will plan on getting done this fall before or after winter storage.

You're welcome. Read this.

And thanks for the links Tyra.:wink: I did search timing belt but likely did'nt dig deep enough. I don't search much so still kinda new at that. In all seriousness though, I do appreciate the links.

who you gonna let work on your car david?

where you getting the parts in houston?

i think i might do mines also:smile:
Yes, when the time comes it will be David. David does service that I can't/don't want to perform. He'll actually have my car this fri for some service.

lol whose that david , isnt your name david also?

Back