My New MINI Cooper S...

As some of you know I've had a MCS on order since the end of last year. I was looking for a fun yet affordable small car for some time and finally decided on the MCS.

I had looked at a number of other cars, mostly Honda products, such as the Civic, RSX, S2000, Accord V6, 350Z, etc. I've always been partial to Hondas but for a variety of reasons the current offerings left me wanting. The S2000 and 350Z were in the running but I already have the NSX and they were just a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Anyway, last fall I took a test drive in a MCS and was really impressed. It had that certain something. Excellent driving position, wonderful 6-speed gearbox, go-kart feel, surprisingly roomy interior for its size and a nice torquey engine. It is a bit on the heavy side considering it's only 12 foot long, but on the flip side, it's also rock solid and has a substantial feel to it too. I went back a few weeks later for another test drive and made the decision.

Well, last night I picked it up. I ordered an all-black MCS. I didn't go too crazy on the options. I ordered the panoramic sunroof/auto a/c package and Harmon Kardon stereo. The S is reasonably well-equipped to begin with. I was considering the 17" wheels but decided to stick with the std 16-inchers as they are much lighter.

Only one flaw so far. The rear driver's side window molding has some wrinkles in the rubber. I'll take it in next week and also have them mount the just-available aux port for the radio. Then I'll be able plug my Apple iPod in directly.

It's kind of interesting. In many ways, I like the MCS for the same reasons why I like my NSX. There are numerous little detail touches that have been "noodled" and well thought out. It's tremendous fun to drive and so far I've always come back after a drive with a huge smile. The car also provides a more accessible form of driving fun than the NSX.

With the NSX, you really need some open roads (or a road course) to have the most fun. With the go-kart like MCS fun can be had on every road and turn.

I'm not yet sure what future mods, if any I'll do. The JCW package is expensive but now that I've been driving the car, it's very tempting. I may install the black grilles from the aero kit too.

If anyone is looking for a fun and affordable (~ $21K) 2nd car I'd highly recommend the MCS.

-Jim

PS: Debbie Franks of Princeton MINI/BMW was really great and helpful. She owns a vintage MINI - and it's always nice to deal with an car enthusiast who "understands."

PPS: I just realized I posted this in the general forum instead of the Off Topic forum. Sorry.

Join the club :D

I've been driving mine for 8 months now. I, too, would recommend anyone to buy one as a 2nd car.

In terms of mods, the JCW isn't a good deal, I was told by my friend who works at the dealer. The original supercharger is also capable of pumping 200hp out of the engine. The cost of the JCW supercharger + its 9 hour labor install will be around $5500. I know the main selling point of JCW is its warranty but one thing they didn't tell us was: a brand new Cooper engine only cost $3400.

I was at Comptech mid last year and did see a red Mini Cooper in their facility with some kind of work being done on it.

Congrates, use to race for a guy that owned a vintage mini and I always remembered them from the original movie "Italian Job". Neat car. The first thing you should do is take it to the track and get it on three wheels through a corner.

Tom,

I'll tell you...with these new MINIs it's not easy to get the tires to leave the ground. Very sure-footed.

I will have to check out the new Italian Job movie though. I understand that a number of MINIs see air under all 4 tires.

;)

-Jim

Jimbo,

Congratulations! I've had mine for almost 6 months now and absolutely love it! It is chili red with the bonnet stripes, sport/premium/cold weather packages bought from Morristown MINI. Definitely a nice daily driver.

The last 3 times I was at a store parking lot, I've had people come up to me and ask me about the car, check it out, etc, not to mention people at the office asking about it. I didn't get nearly as much with the NSX - not that I look for that but I find it an interesting observation.

Jimbo, congrats on your new Mini. I think if these had been available when I got my 2001 MR2 Spyder, I'd have gone that route instead, because it has most of the same advantages, plus it's just much more practical as a daily driver if you need to put BOTH a passenger and a bag of groceries in the car at the same time. That's not something my Spyder can handle, unless the passenger doesn't mind putting the bag in their lap. Well, my Spyder DOES have a rag top that comes down in 15 seconds, and I Do live near La Jolla and Del Mar.

Really needs a LSD

Jimbo said:
I'll tell you...with these new MINIs it's not easy to get the tires to leave the ground. Very sure-footed.

Jim

Congrats Jim, you are really going to love her.

If you take her to the track you will easily lift and inside front tire, and get really wild wheel spin, but it sounds great!! But then again, I am starting to loosen up an NSX inside tire.

The only other thing I would change about the car is the flywheel. It is a dual mass unit, and really needs to be much lighter. Then again, being able to bark the tires at every 1-2 shift is nice.

Too bad the mileage is not better. I got the same mileage as I do in my NSX.

But for play, usefulness, and starting conversations, you will not find much better.

The mileage really varies on the way you drive it. After the break-in preiod, I drove my car pretty hard to test out its limits. I ended up having an average of 13.1 mpg and the fastest I drove was 130 mph. It handles great even in the snow, I even turn off the DSC just for kicks. As of today, the car really serves its purpose as a daily driver and I'm getting 20.4 mpg. Having all 3 packages is quite a must-have, IMHO and the navigation is definitely a plus. Aside from the fact that the nav is rather slow, I really enjoyed going to new places without looking up mapquest anymore.

Re: Really needs a LSD

But for play, usefulness, and starting conversations, you will not find much better.

Yep...the DogDoc got TONS of chicks with the MINI!

heheheheh

Back