My New Carbon Fiber Custom NSX Steering Wheel

...I will be sure to add that to my list of excuses as to why I have not married my long time girlfriend. I am sure she will understand...

Interestingly, I thought of that and will be sure to check when I let others drive it (I am liberal on that and let many people drive it).

Really? Why no wax? Not a problem but am just wondering why (on the CF part that is). I cleaned the entire wheel with an interior dash cleaner (AMMO NYC cleaner). Should I not do that? Should I avoid ArmorAll as well? Could you suggest a cleaning product? I don't want to damage my prize...

I am also now careful entering the car as I usually have the key in my hand and it could come I contact with the wheel. ...No more...

Really? Why no wax? Not a problem but am just wondering why (on the CF part that is). I cleaned the entire wheel with an interior dash cleaner (AMMO NYC cleaner). Should I not do that? Should I avoid ArmorAll as well? Could you suggest a cleaning product? I don't want to damage my prize...

I am also now careful entering the car as I usually have the key in my hand and it could come I contact with the wheel. ...No more...

It is what they told me after asking how to care for it.

The only product I would personally use on the leather is PRESTINE CLEAN. I never use Armorall or any products that give the leather a slick feel or any type of sheen. I know lots of people claim some cleaners leave a no sheen(matte) look, but I beg to differ. Prestine Clean is the only product I have found (i tried many) that will clean and yet keep the original new look and feel of the leather (matte).

I would use just a little bit of Meguires quick detailing spay sprayed on a micro fiber cloth directly to wipe down the carbon. I know it may have some wax in it, but it is not like using paste wax or something of that nature. Either way, always test out on an inconspicuous area first.

BTW, all I can say is the hand grip part is covered in leather. Whether it is padded leather, I doubt it since there is little to no give.

Glad you are happy with the purchase overall.

Looks great.

Like the NSX concept wheel.

Acura-NSX-concept-steering-wheel.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can you use the strongest leather - Kangaroo for the wheel?

The airbag "acura" needs to go. Fill it in, shave it down and pop on a emblem? Otherwise, looking damn good.

+1

The Acura Logo as in 2002+ hood emblem, would look great. Is there a "group buy" opportunity for a vendor here?

Or perhaps we could wait a year and get the new car's wheel. That looks pretty sick too.

Last edited:
The good news is it's a standard NSX airbag. You can swap whatever one in you like. I am going to use the Acura until I get motivated to change...

when they redid the OEM wheel did the circumference decrease slightly or is it exactly the same size (apart from the D part)

I am pretty sure it's exactly same. The wheel is considerable thicker and has light hand grooves in the CF on the backside (bumps). It's much nicer than stock to drive with as it feels very substantial now.

That steering wheel looks outstanding. Just the perfect amount of Carbon Fiber for that high tech look while still looking like a Honda/Acura factory piece. I think it's bad ass.

I wanna do this to another steering wheel! Did you say how much or should we contact him directly?

Contacting AdvansCPAP is the best option. It's around $1500 plus donor wheel.

Looks amazing! Too many projects for the NSX ~ I always said one of the worst pieces on the stock NSX is the steering wheel setup, so ugly!

Maybe when the new NSX comes out we can order the part and retrofit that onto the existing car, now that would be icing on the cake!

It's So Sick! I gotta get one done for sure...#3 out of the 4 choices. Can they add red stitching to the steering wheel number 3?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 394
I agree. Definitely go with flat bottom. They can do red stitching. I opted for black and skipped the CF horn buttons. It pleases me every time I drive the car and I have found it to be very comfortable...

crazy item. just wondering how they can change shape of steering? anyone got any clue?

maybe yes , but how they make hands shape places :biggrin: by cutting their hands of :wink:

This wheel looks so awesome in the first posted picture (the one where the "Acura" center piece has not yet been installed). But once the original center piece is installed the design starts to look imbalanced, like a 2015 design that's been smashed together with a 1990 design. The age difference between the two is simply too jarring, making the "Acura" center piece look even older than it would otherwise.

Also I'm wondering if this design will be safe in an accident. The designers have taken the highly unconventional approach of heavily modifying an airbag equipped steering wheel. Did they do any crash testing after their modifications? I bet not. Will the airbag still deploy properly? Any chance the carbon fiber pieces of the steering wheel could break and turn into a knife like dagger? It's ironic that a big selling point of the design is to maintain the original airbag, yet the design provides potentially unknown safety issues.

Not trying to be negative as it looks like the designers did the best they could of working within some very obvious limitations. For a modified piece craftsmanship looks incredible. But I would not buy it for the aforementioned reasons.

Back