My new brakes

I designed and had made these brakes, with the criteria of fitting under the stock 17" front wheel. Specs are 325mm X 30mm rotor, 4 pot caliper with 38 and 41mm pistons. There is a rear kit that needs finishing before it goes on. That uses a re-located standard caliper on 328mm rotors.

Note: The wheels fit without a spacer, the spacer in the pic, is just helping to hold the wheel on.

Attachments

• dscf0861.jpg
    dscf0861.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 382
  • dscf0862.jpg
    dscf0862.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 378
  • dscf0864.jpg
    dscf0864.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 381
  • dscf0866.jpg
    dscf0866.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
I'm being really careful to bed these in properly. The last thing I want to do is ruin the rotors by stopping too hard too soon. However intial impressions are good. Solid pedal feel, good initial bite etc. The piston sizes are very close to stock, so the pedal travel is the same. Obviously I didn't make the calipers, or other parts personally, I don't have the machines. First track outing on these brakes will be 20th Nov, and I can't wait!

Rear is 328mm. Slightly larger to counteract the front calipers having slightly larger pistons than standard. Also because that's the size the rotor comes in! Overall balance should be just right.

j14nsx said:
I designed and had made these brakes, with the criteria of fitting under the stock 17" front wheel. Specs are 325mm X 30mm rotor, 4 pot caliper with 38 and 41mm pistons. There is a rear kit that needs finishing before it goes on. That uses a re-located standard caliper on 328mm rotors.
This brings up an interesting idea. The main problem with many big brake kits is they change the front-to-back brake bias and can actually make stopping distances longer. With bigger rotors, big brake kits will always help with thermal problems. It seems like making custom brackets to fit the stock calipers on larger rotors would be the best of both worlds. If the rotor sizes increased proportionally, the brake bias would remain the same, while increasing the thermal capacity of the rotors and also increasing brake torque.

I am surprised somebody hasn’t tried this yet. It would certainly be the least expensive approach.

Bob

Back