• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My headers story "Strange twist of fate"

nsxsupra said:
Well, IUnfortunately didn't work out, slight fitment problem, couldn't get it to line up. Probably just a one off, I really really wanted the Cantrell headers, but I wasn't willing to wait a few days of downtime for another set, so bought the Comptech headers Shane had instock had that installed immediately..

Please could you tell what fitment issues you had with the Cantrell Headers! It may be a one off or it may not be... It must have been significant to warrant you swapping them out altogether!

Please tell... !

I have the same exact exhaust setup down to the Cantrell AIS, but with test pipes, and found that with the addition of the Comptech headers the car sounded like a pissed off banshee screaming bloody murder. I'm sure the Cantrell headers are everything Will says they are but as a "default" header, you really can't go wrong.

FWIW, just got mine ceramic coated, inside and out:

40552006_0715Image0124.jpg

40552006_0715Image0140.jpg

AU_NSX said:
Please could you tell what fitment issues you had with the Cantrell Headers! It may be a one off or it may not be... It must have been significant to warrant you swapping them out altogether!

Please tell... !

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't sent it the balance due on mine yet and when I read this statement I too got very concerned.
I feel a little better knowing that SOS will be carrying this product and think that they wouldn't do that unless it is a quality unit.
Hopefully that will be true and I won't run into any problems during my install.
I am going to attempt it in my garage with the help of some power tools, PB Blaster, elbow grease, Cherry cokes, and my ASE certified dad.:biggrin:

Out of curiousity, how long would it take a competent performance shop to install a set of headers with the car on a lift?

I'm in a hard debate to purchase those Cantrell headers before the end GB date tomorrow...

Nihilation said:
Out of curiousity, how long would it take a competent performance shop to install a set of headers with the car on a lift?

I'm in a hard debate to purchase those Cantrell headers before the end GB date tomorrow...

I would personally just go ahead and get them, I did, and worry about the installation aspect later.
You WON'T find headers for the early model, like ours, at that price probably ever again.
JMO

92NSX said:
Hopefully that will be true and I won't run into any problems during my install.
Please do not be too concerned. Cantrell addressed the header immediately, they stand behind the products.

Nihilation said:

4~6hours for a shop to do the install.

The headers are definitely worth it and the Cantrell is actually available without delays, I would go for it and take advantage of the GB price.

Nihilation said:

5 hours assuming no problems.

nsxsupra said:
Please do not be too concerned. Cantrell addressed the header immediately, they stand behind the products.

I'm not worried about Cantrell not standing behind their product. I know they will.

However, my question and concerns are for a different reason...

Are the headers you tried to install a production or prototype set. If they are production then there would seem to be a problem with the jig.

With shipping to Australia and an install time of 5 hours, I am going to be massively out of pocket if these headers need to be sent back to the states because they don't fit.

In addition, my mechanic does not have other brands of NSX header lying around should the headers not fit...

I want to know what the issues were and I want to know how Cantrell have rectified the problem before they ship mine to me! I will be having mine ceramic coated as well which needs to be done before they are fitted and if they don't fit then I am more $$$ out of pocket!...

This is a big deal for me!

Last edited:
fcs1965 said:
I noticed you did not purchase through group buy. where did you get them? was your car the test car

The posts here answer your questions...

Answers:=
1. Autowave
2. No.

Ponyboy said:
FWIW, just got mine ceramic coated, inside and out:
QUOTE]

Was the ceramic coating done by Cantrell or you had to send it to a shop? I asked the same to Will if he offered that option. But first, we have to find out if they pass CARB here in CA and if he has any Dyno results on 97+ ...........

Hrant said:
Was the ceramic coating done by Cantrell or you had to send it to a shop? I asked the same to Will if he offered that option. But first, we have to find out if they pass CARB here in CA and if he has any Dyno results on 97+ ...........

Sorry, the coating was done on my Comptech headers by a company called Airborn out of Oklahoma City. Decent price too, $180 per set. They have a bunch of NASCAR clients.

http://www.airborncoatings.com/index3.html

I think the Cantrell headers with the addition of either Airborn, HPC, or Jet Hot coatings would look and perform very well. Swain Tech offers a coating too but it's not as aesthetically pleasing IMHO.

Hi everyone,
I was advised about the fitment issue with Shane Thursday. The headers are an early production set. I am sure that this is an isolated issue, but I will be re-checking the jigs and all of the production headers against our test set on the test car. The owner of the test car is out of town until Thursday morning. As soon as I know the results, I will update everyone. I am afraid I will have to delay shipment until I have verified that there are no issues with the product. I am sorry for the inconvience. I can not ship them if there is any question of fitment. I will update everyone as soon as I have more info.

Regards, Will

Cantrell Concepts said:
Hi everyone,
I was advised about the fitment issue with Shane Thursday. The headers are an early production set. I am sure that this is an isolated issue, but I will be re-checking the jigs and all of the production headers against our test set on the test car. The owner of the test car is out of town until Thursday morning. As soon as I know the results, I will update everyone. I am afraid I will have to delay shipment until I have verified that there are no issues with the product. I am sorry for the inconvience. I can not ship them if there is any question of fitment. I will update everyone as soon as I have more info.

Regards, Will

I would much rather wait a little bit longer and make sure they fit.:smile:

Back