My dyno is up!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=605432&postcount=66

Car made 359whp.

2002 NSX, cantrel AIS, comptech unifilter, taitex JGTC parallel exhaust and of course the new autorotor CTSC 6lb base kit.

Assuming about 15% drivetrain loss, the car makes 422HP at the crank.

You think that sounds good? You should hear that charger go with the roof off and the windows down! Thats true beauty!

If you think Dave has a little bias in his comments, I can vouch that he is not exagerating. His car has a truly beautiful sound as I was standing there when it hit the rev limiter.
Dave, you are probably a little conservative on that HP as you would get a couple more with the A/C off !!!!

Very nice pull. Let me know where I can send you those pics.
BTW, nice meeting you and Bram this aft.

Awesome numbers Dave, everything considered! It must pull like a SOB! It's really too bad about the lack of an A/F plot -- even tailpipe would be better than nothing. If you are still thinking of going AEM then this will be a non issue since it will be tuned nice and flat.

So did you figure out the secret to Riccardo's 400hp car? :-)

Arshad - the only thing I wonder about with the AEM is whether or not its worth it to up the boost (up the risk), increase the cost by prob $5k, and increase the hassel factor a lot (can you imagine is something goes wrong and we have no tuner here?) for just a few HP.

Lets say I want to run it with plenty of safety margin still and that gets me to 385 at the wheels, which I think is realistic. Is 20/25HP worth it?

Now keep in mind that I have my own self-interest at heart here as well. Having said that, I still think it's a good idea to put the AEM on just from the perspective of safety. The new autorotor is still unproven, and since you do occasionally push your car hard, it would be a shame to run into a big problem on the track. Even if you don't go with the higher boost, the AEM first irons out your A/F to something completely safe (with whatever margin of safety you want), and secondly optimizes your existing HW to give you the maximum power at every point in the RPM range. It may not radically increase your peak HP, but it will give you more usable area under the curve.

Having said all that, yes it is a lot of money for not that much more peak HP, but how much do you value your overall investment right now and is it worth putting in $5k of "insurance"?

Sorry I missed it - can't wait to see and hear it in person - Hopefully on the 14th! Unless we all get together sooner (hint)

BTW since I joined the Porsche Club (Now I have to call it a Porsch"a" or they revoke my membership) I have to do skid school on the 8th before I'm allowed to come to their track days - if you want their days too, consider coming.

Also, consider the HRC school on the 27(evening)-29th and get your license to be bad!!!:wink:

Stu

Dont those wankers require you to drive a Pcar to go to their days?

Im pretty sure Im going on the 14th. I dont like the thought of starting the season on the big track.

CONGRATS!!! can't wait to see and hear it...

Nathan

SPA_S2000 said:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=605432&postcount=66

Car made 359whp.

2002 NSX, cantrel AIS, comptech unifilter, taitex JGTC parallel exhaust and of course the new autorotor CTSC 6lb base kit.

Assuming about 15% drivetrain loss, the car makes 422HP at the crank.

You think that sounds good? You should hear that charger go with the roof off and the windows down! Thats true beauty!
Congratulations! :smile: That is a lot lot of power.

You can free up even more hp with test pipes.

A local 02+ NSX owner in Southern Cal put down almost identical #s as yours with similar mods and CTSC 6psi base kit prior to test pipe. He then added test pipe and dynoed the car again and made 394rwhp.:eek:

^^YUP, saw that and the social deviant in me is thinking about it.

Thats more power than going with a high boost kit.

Im going to post a question I have about it in FI. I wonder if risk to the engine is increased because of the increased HP or if because you're freeing up a bottleneck downstream, it is riskless power. I dont understand well enough to know myself.

Last edited:
SPA_S2000 said:
Dont those wankers require you to drive a Pcar to go to their days?

I remeber someone telling me you don't, but you have to join their club, and they ask you for a VIN when you join - you just supply a non P #. (I'd phone them 1st) - http://www.pcaucr.org/site/home.jsp

SPA_S2000 said:
Im pretty sure Im going on the 14th. I dont like the thought of starting the season on the big track.

I agree - nothing like starting slow(er). Especially a track with lots of run off - especially with all those extra horses but the same horse shoes you've driven before.:wink:

A local 02+ NSX owner in Southern Cal put down almost identical #s as yours with similar mods and CTSC 6psi base kit prior to test pipe. He then added test pipe and dynoed the car again and made 394rwhp.

Holy crap! The social deviant in me is starting to ponder as well now ... I had no idea the difference was that dramatic!

So how much do they bust you for if you get caught here in Ontario?

Congratulations...those are awesome numbers.

what if you got AEM, hight boost, and the test pipes...makes you wonder..:wink:

Rick was great enough to snap some pics around the DYNO.

Here they are:

_4011720.jpg

_4011737.jpg

_4011742.jpg

_4011746.jpg

_4011748.jpg

_4011764.jpg

_4011767.jpg

Thanks for the pics Rick!

Beautiful spa yellow NSX.

You can see the dyno graph here, 04 NSX, CTSC autorotor 6spi, no AEM EMS, no header, just straight pipe and Dali Wishuponastar exhaust. This particular NSX sounds incredible and the fly by acceleration looks FAST. If he show up at the meet this Thursday, I will take some flyby sound clips and videos.

I have heard the exhaust note before and after straight pipe in person. The exhaust was very darn quiet before the test pipe, I actually thought it sounded a lot better after test pipe and seriously not too loud after test pipe with that exhaust, probably similar sound level as B&B exhaust on an NA nsx with cats. Other exhaust + straight pipe combinations I have heard are very loud, but not that exhaust with CTSC.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=588031&postcount=39

dynothomas4wm.jpg

Nice numbers! I like the nice flat tq curve and consistent power. Now get up here the 400whp already :p

The fact that you have no reference for the A/F ratio is not so cool though, if I were you I would go throw down another run at a place with a tail pipe sniffer for piece of mind, you don't want to be running lean and not even know it.

When I picked up my supra the first thing I did was hit the dyno and find the safest psi to run on the street without running into a/f issues until I get single/buy tuning tools

Dynopower Services in Scarb has sniffer and so does Yoshio at Japanese Auto (Yorkdale). I used Yoshio for 1 hour for $100, dynapack dyno

...if I were you I would go throw down another run at a place with a tail pipe sniffer for piece of mind, you don't want to be running lean and not even know it.

I'm not sure that checking your Air:Fuel using a tail pipe sniffer is the "best" way to do it. You will get an Air:Fuel graph like my initial post CTSC run below, which basically shows that the cats are doing their job! :biggrin:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24677&d=1140335510

Comptech did another dyno run, but this time checking the Air:Fuel before the cats (O2 bung) and the resulting Air:Fuel ratio was a much prettier site to look at...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=584691&postcount=16

ryan1926 said:
I'm not sure that checking your Air:Fuel using a tail pipe sniffer is the "best" way to do it. You will get an Air:Fuel graph like my initial post CTSC run below, which basically shows that the cats are doing their job! :biggrin:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24677&d=1140335510

Comptech did another dyno run, but this time checking the Air:Fuel before the cats (O2 bung) and the resulting Air:Fuel ratio was a much prettier site to look at...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=584691&postcount=16

Oh I agree, a wideband before a cat is much better/accurate.

Notice you dont have Headers. Headers DO make a difference on 97+ NSX. I dynoed my 00 NSX with headers/Cantrll with uni/Anytime Exhaust 290rwhp with just 3 mods. Also to answer the questions on test pipes for FI. It would help alot as well. I got a ride in the 04 NSX that made 390rwhp with the new autorotor CTSC with test pipes/Headers/Cantrall & Uni/Dali racing exhaust. The car was not loud at all. I think it will depend on the exhaust. I would recommend headers and test pipes to help the car breathe specially on FI.

BTW your NSX looks BAD ASS

Back