My Datsun S30Z

After regretfully selling my NSX, I bought a 1975 Datsun S30Z from an old friend who builds some unique vehicles from hot rodded AMCs to custom supermoto bikes. Having raced Pro AMA superbikes in the 90's, a debilitating accident during a race left him in a wheelchair for nearly 2 years. Recovering, he got into the hobby of building 4 wheeled vehicles and has owned at least 10+ Z cars. He owned this particular example for the longest out of any of them and felt that he needed to let her go to a responsible owner at the time I sold my NSX, and the rest is history. At the time, the car was having numerous issues which he did not have the time to resolve, but the car currently runs impeccably and I work on her fairly often ( currently focusing on exterior style ). I would like to show a few pictures to the members here as this forum has shown its appreciation for important classic cars.

He is currently working on a '78 Datsun Z for a man in Miami and does build these cars to a superb state. This car will run an L28ET turbo engine with dual sets of injectors switchable by a manifold pressure activated Hobbs switch for the goal of around a mild 300whp. If you would like to contact him, PM me and I will put you in touch with him. Tony of TC Customs in Maryville, TN.

31154_811574496135_9427817_45245484_4045901_n.jpg

31154_811612425125_9427817_45246920_6135734_n.jpg

n9427817_40810941_1060376.jpg

Does he have a web site? I would love to see some of his other works as well. Hoping to get a collector Z in the future.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oh Geez, I love the old 240/60/80Z (/280ZX) cars. Had a buddy growing up that he and his brother went through a couple of 260Z and 280ZXs. However, I'm not too fond of the roof line of the 2+2.

You've a very nice looking Z there, my friend!

Love those cars. I'll take one with an ls1 :biggrin:

I almost bought a right hand drive fair lady 240z years ago, I could kick myself now....was very cool but smoked.....:frown:

Nice. Is that a fuel cell in the rear? Which one?

Bout ready to start my 240Z LS1 with 3k miles.

Still miss having the NSX though. :cool:

I have always been a huge fan of the original 240Z cars, but I must say, I've never heard of the S30Z.

Pretty car.

S30 = 240/60/80Z
Z31 = 300ZX (84-89)
Z32 = 300ZX (90-96)
Z33 = 350Z
Z34 = 370Z

Chassis codes (at least Z31/32), I believe, however, I'm not expert on the matter of Z cars.

Last edited:
Nice. Is that a fuel cell in the rear? Which one?

Bout ready to start my 240Z LS1 with 3k miles.

Still miss having the NSX though. :cool:

It's an OEM tank with a sump welded in that feeds an external Walbro.
Get that sucker running!

I too am having NSX remorse. Planning on destroying this loan, then next NSX in ~18 months or less.

Does he have a web site? I would love to see some of his other works as well. Hoping to get a collector Z in the future.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No website yet, but he does have several other projects. One of his one-off bikes won bike of the month on a huge moto website, but the name escapes me.

He's starting on his old '64 Cuda 500cid in a bit and dabbles in the VWs too. Aiming at turbocharging an old VW bus.

S30 = 240/60/80Z
Z31 = 300ZX (84-89)
Z32 = 300ZX (90-96)
Z33 = 350Z
Z34 = 370Z

Chassis codes (at least Z31/32), I believe, however, I'm not expert on the matter of Z cars.

You're right.
This particular car is a very early 280Z. Pretty much the 260Z body still.
The 280ZXs were known as S130s.

Since old Zs are sometimes difficult to distinguish, I just called them S30s.

S30 = 240/60/80Z
Z31 = 300ZX (84-89)
Z32 = 300ZX (90-96)
Z33 = 350Z
Z34 = 370Z

uhg....why do people always have to use chassis codes when they talk about their car? Is it to show your knowledge of the car is far beyond a mere mortal's?

Is the chassis code for the NSX NA1 and NA2? I guess that doesnt sound cool so everyone just says they have an NSX. :cool:

Anyway very nice Z.

uhg....why do people always have to use chassis codes when they talk about their car? Is it to show your knowledge of the car is far beyond a mere mortal's?

Is the chassis code for the NSX NA1 and NA2? I guess that doesnt sound cool so everyone just says they have an NSX. :cool:

Anyway very nice Z.

Chassis codes are probably the easiest way to quickly and accurately describe a car. If I said 240SX, you'd say "huh?" but if I said S14, you'd instantly know.

NA1 and NA2 are actually engine codes, but you can gleen some good info from that. :biggrin: S30 basically just means "really really old Z" haha.

Thanks for the compliments!

Anyway very nice Z.

Chassis codes are probably the easiest way to quickly and accurately describe a car. If I said 240SX, you'd say "huh?" but if I said S14, you'd instantly know.

NA1 and NA2 are actually engine codes, but you can gleen some good info from that. :biggrin: S30 basically just means "really really old Z" haha.

And in the case of the Z31 and Z32 cars....they bore the same name (300ZX) and about the only component that was the same on the car was the engine block (just the block not the entire engine) just about everything else on the Z32 300ZX was redesigned from the Z31 300ZX. Helps when sourcing the correct parts.

I like the fake intercooler. Must be fake cause I don't see any money shots!! Come back when you have some pictures under the hood Jared. Until then, I'll assume it's a new hybrid from Kia!!

The Camaro next to you is winning by a nose. Turn up the boost man, turn up the boost!!!!

Does the S in S30Z stand for slow? Muahahahahahahaha

Looks good dude.

I also refer to cars with there chassis codes much easier, and NA1 and NA2 aren't engine codes those are C30A and C32B.

I also refer to cars with there chassis codes much easier, and NA1 and NA2 aren't engine codes those are C30A and C32B.

ahhh. Thanks. Although I have never heard of anyone saying they have a C30A or a C32B.

But i have heard of FD which for a long time I wasn't sure what that meant. And Supra guys like to use chassis codes too.

I guess when speaking to people in the know for that kind of car its easy but if you dont know Zs or Supras or RX7s your kind of left wondering what someone is talking about.

Anyway did I mention thats a nice looking Z? How about some HP/TQ numbers? Maybe some track picks to prove its not just a garage decoration. :biggrin:

Well, I meant to say "more like engine codes" because they're not chassis codes. A 1997 automatic will still be an NA1.

This subject could go on forever! :tongue:

Sheesh, can't we just call a car a car? :cool:

No, because then we get into the hairy subject of your NSX being just a "car" and this guy's Mustang over here being just a "car". :biggrin:

I like the fake intercooler. Must be fake cause I don't see any money shots!! Come back when you have some pictures under the hood Jared. Until then, I'll assume it's a new hybrid from Kia!!

The Camaro next to you is winning by a nose. Turn up the boost man, turn up the boost!!!!

Does the S in S30Z stand for slow? Muahahahahahahaha

Looks good dude.

It must be fake, because I can't find any money shots haha.

Remember when the oil pressure sender hose cracked when you were over that one time? I was driving back to TN from AL, and the cabin side decided to break at the gauge during the trip. It's a bad sign when you're driving, look down, and see oil dripping from the gauge onto the console! :eek:

Fixed. :biggrin:

Anyway did I mention thats a nice looking Z? How about some HP/TQ numbers? Maybe some track picks to prove its not just a garage decoration. :biggrin:

I appreciate it. It's going to get much better. I'm cleaning up the front end by going with a full 240Z conversion. Turn signals, bumper, maybe Fairlady grille, and a nice Type 1 airdam would make the car look 100% better.

303whp @ 10psi was the only dyno numbers ever attained. Torque was something like 320ft lbs.
The car runs 10psi on low with 16psi on high for now. Tuned for 20+ and I'm slowly working it back to it. You can do the math and figure out it's a pretty stout car.

Tony used to run it in autocross consistently and I feel like the car, with better wheels and more appropriate fitting tires, could be alot of fun. However, right now she's a great ornament as she's about to get shipped where I'm stationed and where I'm stationed has pretty much nothing as far as motorsports is concerned.

If I could get it on youtube, I have a few videos of me running the Dragon in the car..

Last edited:
Back