My CTSC Story: with pics and video!

As with so many things in life it's one of those good news/bad news situations... well not really bad news, just lots of anticipation and not as much what I had hoped/expected in terms of raw performance - but more that later.
I'll start with my buying experience. I got in on the GB put on by Brian from NOPI. All I have to say is despite what I had traditionally envisioned as "NOPI boy racer go fast parts" sellers - buying from NOPI was nothing but professional. Working with Brian was arguably the best purchase experience I've had since I bought my NSX. He always kept me up to date on everything and always took my calls and made sure I was happy - you just can't beat that level of service. I would recommend buying from NOPI again in a heartbeat.

Taking delivery took a little longer than expected due to some fabrication delays comptech was experiencing, but once the stuff arrived it was clear the comptech kit is an incredibly well designed kit. The level of detail, the packaging, the quality components, it almost felt OEM - it was just that polished.

Install: Two days later I dropped my car and CTSC off with my NSX tech "Zahntech" for him to start work on the install. (Little side note here, the CTSC boxes are way too big to fit in the NSX as they come from UPS, you'll have to unpack them or something to get all the parts in the car.) During the install John noticed that my intake plenum gaskets were drying out so he ordered up some new ones - this delayed the install just a bit, but a few days later I took delivery of the car. I arrived to find 2 boxes of not required components (like my old alternator and the vestigial passenger side engine fan :tongue: ) and a perfectly installed CTSC.

10358PICT0020a1.JPG

We went for a test drive and he made note of a few things I should be aware of - namely that the belt will be breaking in and we'll need to re-tension it soon. Also, I should be wary of the clutch (its old), but so far so good... So that night I went cruising, keeping it under 5500 but just putting some miles on the car - breaking it in for the dyno session the next day.

The dyno: I roll in bright and early 9am to the dyno and get my car setup. First run was like a kick in the teeth, 290hp. What!?! I'm thinking to myself... oh man, what is wrong here. So do another run, same thing. We start looking at the data and realize something boost/fuel is wrong - so I call up Comptech and get on the phone with Shad. At 9:30am on Friday Shad went through the data with the tuner and we were able to determine the belt was slipping at high RPM. Looks like that belt broke in a little faster than we had thought...After a little re-tensioning the numbers looked much better. I have to say that Shad rocks and Comptech customer service was totally topnotch and instilled yet another level of confidence in their product.

So what was the end result? It's kinda complicated, since there are so many variables like the dyno stopped short before 8000 rpm - but I got 313hp@7750 and 230ft-lbs@6000... and I still think that I might have some belt slippage and I might even be running too much fuel pressure. So I'm requesting some thoughts from you guys out there. Here are the relevant stats about my car and the dyno. It's a Mustang Dyno (I heard they read a little low), my car has I/H/E all suggested maint. was performed on the car before the CTSC install (including injector cleaning). The A/F was read off the tailpipe and is about .5 leaner than whats actually coming out of the engine - according to the lots of data. What this means is that my A/F is kinda all over the place and its pig rich which is definitely robbing me of some HP. Ultimately, I'm not after mega HP I want a safe trackable car - but if there is more safe HP in there I'd like to find it. Bottom line: Am I happy? Yes. This car is fast, it feels phenomenal and I can't wait to track it.

10358nsxDyno_003.jpg

10358nsxDyno_002.jpg

10358nsxDyno_001.jpg

Dyno vid (wmv)
Notice the puffing at high rpm and look closely at the A/F boost situation and let me know what you think...

Video: I went out to have some fun with the car and man does it pull. It also sounds crazy - although, the VTEC induction growl is totally overpowered by the SC whine, so if you love VTEC engagement sound you might be disappointed with a CTSC. You can definitely see the power as the newly added power sqauts the car down under WOT. I'll have CTSC track video later this week.

CTSC Run (wmv)
If you're interested in the camera setup its a new Canon ZR500 ($250) with native 16:9 widescreen support and it's externally mic'ed from the trunk. I found that since I'm on the track with windows down the windnoise is too extreme and the trunk provides a very close approximation of inside the car with windows up. Uncompressed the video quality is really good on this camera, but I had to compress it here for space reasons. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your A/F is all over the place. There is certainly more power to be had in there. Mine is pretty flat at 11.8-12.2. Looks like you are nearly in the 10's at higher RPM in some places. (who knows if it is .5 off all over).

The bad part about the comptech is that you really can never get A/F perfect... just good enough.

The numbers are surprising to me. I know Charles has a 92 with the old unit and headers and exhaust and he is making 330rwhp and 230 TQ. Of course, different dyno, different day. I would have expected at least 330-345 with 7.2 PSI.

That autorotor sure does whine like crazy. Sounds a lot louder than the older unit.

You could always add the AEM. If you want safety, that is a great place to start. You would most likely pick up some good HP and TQ also.

Thanks for the update and congratulations, please don't be disappointed with the results. From the look of your A/F ratio. It seems like you can easily gain another 10% of hp by just lean out more and get it closer to 12.1, which is still on the safe side.

That dynometer probably also gave you less optimistic #s than other Dynometers. At least it is complete and properly installed. Many of us have not even received our CTSC yet.

Last edited:
Yea guys, the more I look at my A/F the less happy I am with it. I've seen many non AEM EMS A/F values that are much more stable. I'm wondering what sort of adjustability I can get out of the mechanical FPR - I sent an email off with this thread info to [email protected] and I'm hoping it can get to Shad. I'd like him to see my graphs - if I have to drive down to Comptech to get him to tune it manually I'll do it. I'd rather not have to make a 12 hr drive. But I need to get down to Cali this year anyway.:cool:

SaberX said:
Yea guys, the more I look at my A/F the less happy I am with it.

Well look at the bright side, at least you are not running lean.:wink:

NetViper said:
The numbers are surprising to me. I know Charles has a 92 with the old unit and headers and exhaust and he is making 330rwhp and 230 TQ. Of course, different dyno, different day. I would have expected at least 330-345 with 7.2 PSI.

That autorotor sure does whine like crazy. Sounds a lot louder than the older unit.

You could always add the AEM. If you want safety, that is a great place to start. You would most likely pick up some good HP and TQ also.

334rwhp and 236TQ-+ :biggrin: :biggrin:
My A/F is right at the 11.8-12.5 range. I do startt o run slightly lean at 8k (say 12.7ish) I never keep my car that high.

Pretty cool, congrats and thanks for posting your results! I am sure it was a very noticeable difference from stock. An AEM or other engine management system would get you where you need to be depending on your goals. So stock CTSC peaks out at 7.2 psi, cool. I know mine spikes to 10 psi before leveling off to 9 lbs. Is that a comptech brace in the motor area or stock? Do you have aftermarket headers on the car?

Your air/fuel is between 11.2 to 11.5 for most of the powerband. I think that's quite stable.

ak said:
Your air/fuel is between 11.2 to 11.5 for most of the powerband. I think that's quite stable.

Considering that my data is most likely at least .5 leaner b/c of the tailpipe sniffer and how much it is historically off, that means that I am in the 10s the entire time...

Someone mentioned maybe using something like an Apex'i Safc to lean things out a bit? Is this safe? Are there tuners for this sort of thing, or do I need to learn it myself?

SaberX said:
Considering that my data is most likely at least .5 leaner b/c of the tailpipe sniffer and how much it is historically off, that means that I am in the 10s the entire time...

Someone mentioned maybe using something like an Apex'i Safc to lean things out a bit? Is this safe? Are there tuners for this sort of thing, or do I need to learn it myself?

Since the new CTSC runs with a piggy back already, you are probably better off just adjusting comptech's piggy back. The question is, whether or not you or your tuner has access to adjusting this box? Might wanna call comptech and ask...

Hey congrats on the CTSC!! I know you've been dying to get that thing installed. I know how you feel because the wait to get my FX 400 has been killing me too! :smile: (Which by the way is ready in 2 days! Yay!)

Fantastic writeup! Very detailed with great videos and dyno graphs! Very inspirational, I'll have to do the same with my turbo install. The runs looked to be very much in line with my experiences test driving a CTSC NSX. Very linear pull across the RPM band, just like a stronger NSX. :smile:

Sorry to hear about your numbers, although it doesn't look like a little more tuning can't handle. I would really consider getting a EMS and/or boost controller. I know it sucks to plunk down even more money and time, but I think in the end it will make you much more happier with your purchase.

When you come down to Vegas, definitely hit me up. It will be good to see you again and I will have my FX 400 ready by then and I'll give you a test ride for a side by side comparison.

SaberX said:
I still think that I might have some belt slippage
Do you have a boost gauge?

With a boost gauge you can at very least confirm and making sure that the CTSC is making the amount of boost as it is supposed to.

Update: It turns out that my blower had a bad shaft oil seal and was losing pressure and blowing oil into the engine. After having it fixed I got the car redynoed. Although it is a different dyno, the results are consistent with the fact that the "butt dyno" tells me the car is pulling harder now that the blower is operating at peak efficiency.

10358NSXCTSC-med.JPG

Nice

I'm glad to see the problem resolved. I started worrying about mine from the moment I saw your first thread.

Back