• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mugen Rollbar

Well Comptech took an interesting approach in that instead of going through the rear glass and to the rear strut towers (which is probably best) they went forward to the frame rails there near the dashboard edge. I doubt the Comptech unit would be approved by a lot of racing bodies, but the thing I thing a lot of us are looking for is increased protection not the ultimate protection. I cannot believe this has not been done yet. I think someone creative with use of good materials can come up with something that works and looks good.

Yes, the side bar on the Comptech bar unbolts. Leaving entry and exit wide open. This mugen bar can probably have something very similar.

IIRC the way the CT bar was setup, and don can verify this, the load was spread evenly across the bolt, not on two points like with a bolt going through a hollow tube. Bolts in general are frowned upon with cages and bars, as you are relying on their strength. So a more elaborate interlocking system is desirable.

I'm curious, how much room have you lost in inches with the mugen bar in place?

My car came with the bar so I dont know how far back the seats usually go without it. If the bar was out you would gain maybe 2 inches to the back of the cabin. The bar actually just touches the back of the cabin, and the upright bars run the length of that vynel/leather piece equalling the angle. Its a really good fit. Like I siad earlier Im 5 11, and my seat is nowhere near touching the bar. If you lean the tilt way back lowrider style the headrest will hit the top of the bar even if the seat is not all the way back. I find the angle of the seatback matches the contour/angle of the bar and cabin exactally when I have it in driving position.
K

Just had a meeting with the builder. No problem on the Mugen replica. Were good to go on that.

As far as the modified roll bar for track application he wants to know who is the sanctioning body for the race rules, and what class of racing are you guys in at the track? This will determine the parameters of steel wall thickness, tube diameter, connection points etc.
K

Last edited:
Kevin I don't know about others but for me it's not about any sanctioning body but about safety. I want something that will reinforce the B pillar since I prefer to use a harness belt. I need extra support at the B in case of a rollover. Extra protection for a side impact would be nice, but not as critical. What I don't want is the rollbar to come loose. I don't want the steel bottom plates to strip the bolts and go through the floor. In short, I need it to simply WORK. if I am comfortable with that, I can comfortably run a harness and a proper seat. Rollbar, proper seat with some strength, a good harness, a good head neck restraint device and I think you've reached the 80% point with safety and made the car much safer than stock.

Thats pretty much how i feel, i dont believe we could get it sanctioned but is it safe does it add protection.
Maybe if it did those things the rest can be worked on with our own individual motorsport bodies like i said i dont want a cage but i would like more protection maybe i cant have one without the other maybe i cant have a passenger without a cage and thats just the way it is, but more protection would be good period!

B pillar on the NSX is fairly strong, especially on the targa. But if we can add more and really feel safe it would be great.

One more thing I haven't mentioned before which is really important. In those last few moments of an accident the car is often spinning, going off road, jolting or shaking fairly violently. As the driver, you are still trying to do the right thing to maintain control, brake, steer, etc. With a proper harness and seat, you are basically bolted into place and given a chance to pilot until the the moment of impact. With a 3 point, all you are trying to do is to keep yourself from getting tossed around and doing NOTHING to help your situation.

This fact by itself is almost reason enough to have a harness and not use 3 point belts. It is never talked about.

Proper seat... Also a HUGE help. It is the last line of protection for your back/spine, head, neck. Tough to run a proper seat with a 3 point.

HNR/HANS device... Probably as important as your seatbelt, at least a close second. Can't run that properly without a harness bar either.

You see there are lots of really legit reasons for a proper rollbar for this car, an item that has been missing for too long since the demise of the Comptech bar, which could be improved upon anyway.

Last edited:
Back