Motorcycles: Need the good, bad, and ugly

Well folks, as nice weather starts to roll in, I'm thinking of getting into motorcycles. I'm not looking to hop onto a Busa or anything like that, but just something fun. I should mention that I've never ridden a bike or or dirtbike before mainly b/c I've never had any friends or means of getting on one. I don't know what kind of bike or anything I'm looking, though I know I don't want any super/sport bike. Those are just way too fast and scary for me. So any ideas? Maybe I should try out trail bikes perhaps? I'm too young (only 20 here) for a Harley to cruise on or anything like that. Though I will say, I like the look of bikes like the Ducatti Monster. That kind of sport bike minus the fairing look. But again, I don't want some large displacement engine at all. Just something light, and fun to get out and to get away on. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks and take care.

Conor

Good: Motorcycles are VERY fun to ride. A feeling of connection with the road that a car cant give you. Relatively cheaper to maintain and buy than a car. You get your speed fix!

Bad: Usually only driven in good weather. If driven in rain you really are taking chances:eek: You will go down at LEAST ONCE while riding. If you go down without leathers at a high rate of speed, you will experience a road rash of epic proportions! Remember how much it hurts when you hit your head on something?? IMAGINE hitting your head at a much higher rate of speed!! WEAR A HELMET!!!

UGLY: PEOPLE DO NOT SEE YOU!! ALWAYS DRIVE DEFENSIVELY!! People cut you off in your car cause they dont see you, its much WORSE on a bike. As I always say "no matter how right you are in the situation, you STILL loose" meaning if a car cuts you off, doesnt see you, moves into your lane....if you get hit...you suffer the most damage. There is nothing to protect you from anything but what you have on. All it takes is a bit of gravel or a slick manhole cover at the wrong place to put you on your back.

Now that being out of the way, I LOVE them!! Be sure to take at least a beginning and intermediate cycle class, they teach you how to ride right and what to look for when riding (or you can learn the hard way). More than likely you will upgrade a couple times when you outgrow your bike...thats natural. Its really up to you what kind of bike you want.

Hope that helps!!!!

It sounds like you are on the right path. All sport motorcycles will outperform 90% of street riders. First, go to this website http://www.msf-usa.org/ . The MSF provides motorcycles for their training. Always wear protective gear, helmet, gloves, jacket, boots. Buy the best that you can afford. Ashpalt will turn you into hamburger quicker than.....
Ducati makes a nice bike but you need a good dealer for the maintenance. If you drop it, parts may take a while to get from Italy. I would suggest a bike like Suzuki SV650. Good performance and user friendly.

I will be happy to help you get started. Good Luck.

Thanks so far fellas. I really want to get that connected to the road feel. I've outgrown that "gotta have a superbike" phase that many of my buddies are in. I'm just looking to get away on my own and enjoy the country side and landscapes. RS250, your name come from the Aprilia RS250 by any chance? If so, that would be a bike I'd love to have though it's pretty pricey and a two-stroke. But what a gorgeous bike....

Conor

Conor,

I've had about 20 bikes over the past 15 years. I actually have a great 1st bike I am planning to sell this spring. Almost guaranteed not to see another one on your street. It's a '99 Laverda 750. Italian made. V-twin. Paoli suspension. Brembro brakes. Termi CF exhaust. Nice and light. Good torque. It has about 4100 km on it. Just don't have enough time to ride the 4 bikes I currently have.

I think you are wise not wanting to start out on a big liter inline 4. You want something that is light, agile and torquey.

Happy riding,

Ben

Yes. I own 2 Aprilia RS250's, Aprilia Capo Nord, KTM 250EXC, Honda Z50. 250's are not street legal-I know people that do get them through DMV. The RS is a street legal 2stroke in Europe and can go 1500-2000 miles before doing top end. I am not a tech but it is fairly straightforward. They are great track bikes. After learning how to ride, I highly recommend track days. Great fun, great people and improves skills fast.

Laverda is a nice bike. No (few) parts in the USA.

I too am looking at getting a bike in the very near future.
I have my eye on a Honda CBR600F4.
From the reviews I have read, it is a very good bike for all around purposes.

Just remember one thing Conor. There are two types of motorcycle riders: Those that have gone down, and those that will go down. Don't let anydoby tell you that you never have a crash on a motorcycle. It took me 10 years of riding to end up on the pavement, and like 1/2 of the crashes, it was because a driver in a car didn't see me.

When you do purchase your motorcycle also purchase the best protective gear possible. It never makes sense to me to see people go out and spend $5-$10,000 on a ride, and then $100-$200 for a crappy helmet, and the nride around wearing shorts and flip-flops. Well at least that's what people do down here in Florida.

Good luck and enjoy the open air. Motorcycling can be a safe activity. Just watch out for those big nasty cages.

DocL is right. I had a Ninja and about 3 years ago, I had a lady pull out to make a left turn and I t-boned her at 50 MPH. I was flown to shock trauma in Baltimore and almost died. They said the only thing that saved me was my $500 Shoei helmet. If you ride buy the best helmet you can because that is the only thing that will save you.

Rob

When ever I think of getting a bike again I think about how I might have faired on a bike instead of in a car during my last accident.

Take the MSF Course

I think that many people above have given you solid advice. Definitely take the MSF course, invest HEAVILY in gear and then dedicate yourself to learning and controlling yourself and your bike!

There is little out there as rewarding as riding a bike and especially riding it well...

There are a number of great forums out there where you can learn and meet people. The motorcycle community is typically a very friendly one, so go out and make some new friends!

check this out: www.socalsportbikes.com

This is a great example of a place to start reading, learning and meeting fellow enthusiasts...

Good luck and keep the rubber side down!

PURE FUN!
This is at Pahrump, NV. I haven't yet been able to get the NSX out there, but I ride my bikes out there quite often...GREAT TRACK!

Attachments

• leanleftpahrump.jpg
    leanleftpahrump.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 285
Thanks everyone for their input! I'm def. not going to skimp on the protective gear at all. One thing that I have observed from guys my age (18-24 crowd) is that there is rarely anything more than a helmet worn. That scares and upsets me just because of the potential risk involved. I'm very cautious and careful and I enjoy my pretty legs and head so I'll keep them covered and as safe as possible. Now I know there may be those saying, "I don't want to go fast on a bike" and it's true, I am one of those types. Just looking for something to cruise around on and get some air and time by myself. That's one reason why I don't want a sportbike and why I'd prefer a smaller displacement engine. Lets hope this summer holds some nice, warm weather in MD. Take care.

Conor

Don't want to be a downer on the SV650, but from my experience and that of my friend that has been riding most every day for the last 8 years, the SV650 is not a good beginner bike - it doesn't feel stable at speed, and is very "twitchy" in it's handling. He really likes the bike, but says that's because he is familiar with bikes, and he likes being able to keep up with the bigger sportbikes.

I've been riding dirt bikes for a good 5-6 years, and bought the SV as my first street bike; it's a fast bike, handles well, but you always feel a little unstable on it. Borrowed my friend's Honda Magna and old Suzuki GS450, both felt much more solid and stable, and I was just as fast on them - and could go over 50 on a straight road without panicking. :)

I would recommend something like a Nighthawk 750 or comparable machine for a first bike, something a bit more predictable and more stable, learn with it, if you're happy and want to move on, you'll be in a great position to do so.

JMO, YMotorcyleMV

-------------------------
'99 SV 650 (sold)
'04 Kawasaki ZZR 1200 (wishlist)

nsxlover said:
DocL is right. I had a Ninja and about 3 years ago, I had a lady pull out to make a left turn and I t-boned her at 50 MPH. I was flown to shock trauma in Baltimore and almost died. They said the only thing that saved me was my $500 Shoei helmet. If you ride buy the best helmet you can because that is the only thing that will save you.

Rob

Take a look at the age demographics for your area - where I am they are over 25% senior citizens - in some parts of town that should probably be 80% - and you literally take your life in your hands anytime you ride anywhere near them. I sold my Ninja years ago after one too many close calls with the blue hair crowd. They just have no clue that you are there. It is almost like the combination of you and the bike doesn't register with them AT ALL as an object that they need to be aware of. I can't stress this enough. They will pull out in front of you, turn across you, and merge into the space you are occupying at EVERY opportunity. Leathers and a Shoei helmet are essential - but nothing will prevent you from eventually encountering steel fenders and hard asphalt.

Looks like most everything has been covered. Take a rider course, its the best investment for a new rider. Get good gear. Cost doesn't necessarily mean its the best helmet. Looks for a minimum of DOT approved. SNELL I think has higher standards if I recall correctly. DEFINATELY get a full face. I've seen some nasty results from open face and beanie helmets in a crash.

As for a bike, you do want something with moderate power. The throttle isn't normally the tricky part when learning. The thing I see more new riders struggle with is getting moving and coming to a stop. Get a bike that lets you get your feet down when stopped. It makes it alot easier to learn when you aren't teetering on your tippie toes.

Do ride like people can't see you and error on the side of caution even when you're sure you've been seen. Almost been nailed by people looking right at me (but apparently through me instead). Most riders do hit the ground. I've done it once on the street in just under 100,000 miles, and it was partly do to my own stupidity. Don't be paranoid about it, just be mindful you aren't indestructible. :)

As for riding in the rain, go right ahead! Bikes do just fine in the wet. I've raced at the track at over 130 mph in the rain and never went down, and the really good guys go way faster then that. Thousands of street miles in the rains as well. Its just like a car, you'll have a little less traction, so don't break, accellerate or turn as hard. Me and a few other friends have ridden in the SNOW, so don't let the rain stop ya :)

mdb said:
...Get a bike that lets you get your feet down when stopped. It makes it alot easier to learn when you aren't teetering on your tippie toes.

..Don't be paranoid about it, just be mindful you aren't indestructible. :)

As for riding in the rain, go right ahead! Bikes do just fine in the wet... Its just like a car, you'll have a little less traction, so don't break, accellerate or turn as hard. Me and a few other friends have ridden in the SNOW, so don't let the rain stop ya :)

These are probably the best words of advice given. I used to ride in the rain all the time because it forces you to concentrate on riding smoothly. I never went down in the rain or on wet roads either. As for riding in the snow, I wasn't that brave when I lived up north but I did consider it a few times.

As long as you always keep it in you mind that you are no challange against a 4000lb of metal, you should have no problems.

Let us know what you end up getting Conor.

-Good luck. :)

Wierd, I also have a SV650 (naked version) and it's rock solid at speed (above 50). It's probably not a good 1st bike with a rider with no experience, but it's a great 2nd bike. Maybe it's the tires, or something not right with your suspension settings because the bike is anything but not solid.

I've had a few other folks drive the bike, they say that's it's not bad, but definitely not good for a first bike. I had the person giving the MSF course take it for a test, he said it seemed to be pretty solid, I might want to get better dry-traction tires. He races SVs on the weekends around central Texas.

Just one owner's opinion...

I like the SV as well. Ran an endurance race on one last year. Was the second guy out in a team of four, and I'd never even sat on an SV before :) The handling is nice, its very stable at speed, and the power band is very broad. Doesn't need to be wound out like an I4 to get moving.

SV reminds me. If possible, get a naked bike for a learner as opposed to something fully faired. Chances are good you'll have a low speed "oops" or two. Most naked bikes can fall over an barely get scratched, but the bikes covered in pla$tic are less forgiving on the wallet :)

Back