mostly stock 91 - white powder in exhaust??

hey guys,
this sucks.... the more i dig into my car, the more things i find :redface:

i have an RS*R exhaust.... and i am noticing that my left-most tailpipe (quad tip exhaust) has a white powder in it. it's caked in the inside, all around the pipe near the exit point.

what is this?

i did a search on prime and didn't find much. a search on google said anything from running lean to blown cat to blown head gasket. :confused:

0229081958.jpg

0229081958a.jpg

Do you drive it often & let it fully warm up each time you start it?
Was thinking it could be from condensation?
Some times one will seem to have more than the other 3- Wild guess.
How many miles on the engine? Coolant level holding steady?
Any smoke at exhaust? Rolled up $100.00 bills on the ground?

Wild guess's, looking for more clues..........

Do you drive it often & let it fully warm up each time you start it?
Was thinking it could be from condensation?
Some times one will seem to have more than the other 3- Wild guess.
How many miles on the engine? Coolant level holding steady?
Any smoke at exhaust? Rolled up $100.00 bills on the ground?

Wild guess's, looking for more clues..........

i just replaced a hose on the cooling system and let the car run to temp. before that, the car hadn't been started in about a month.
i remember there being a lot of condensation in the exhaust when i ran it.... actually there are still black splatters behind my car on the garage floor from when the condensation carried soot out of the exhaust.
68kmi on the engine. engine is all stock other than an RS*R exhaust and cantrell/uni AIS.
i don't know if the coolant level is holding steady :confused: after i filled the cooling system back up, and did a very quick (and poor) bleed, i ran the car to temp with the expansion cap in the halfway position (as stated in the manual). the level went all the way up till it overflowed, but the thermostat was working fine (warm rad hoses), and temp was rock solid. fan never came on. i bled it a more later that day, and ran it again..... this time with the cap in the fully closed position. the level stayed at MAX level and the fan kicked on and everything. JUST bled it again (thoroughly, with the car's rear in the air), and left the cap on only halfway, and it was acting the same way as the first time i ran it. (is it normal for the coolant level to rise without the cap on properly??.... i'm guessing it is, because there is no pressure in the system?

as for a smoking exhaust..... it looks like when you run a car in the cold.... not really smoke. doesn't smell particularly like coolant burning tho.

i use 93 octane in my car....

thanks

Looks like calcium or lime deposits...maybe a small amount of water came out the exhaust and corroded the tip...Try Lime Away!

I think you got yourself a cash cow$$. If you can get the other exhaust to do the same thing, you would double you output$$$$. Oh wait, that stuff is not legal.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Does it happen all the time or only when the exhaust gets wet (like from a car wash)?

I think your car has a problem. A ten step program is in order. Good luck, your car has a long road ahead of it.

Previous Owner:confused:

tyronebiggums.jpg

Seriously though. I'm sorry your having issues with your ride. You'll sort 'em all out though. Good luck to ya :cool:

Previous Owner:confused:

tyronebiggums.jpg

Seriously though. I'm sorry your having issues with your ride. You'll sort 'em all out though. Good luck to ya :cool:
Thats too funny, but I do agree with Briank. Just clean it up real good and see how long or if it even comes back.

cocaine stash:confused:

i wish those were 100s on the floor, and i with that was cocaine :cool:

why would only one of the pipes be like that? the other one right next to it is connected to the same pipe :confused: maybe more flow out of the outer pipe.....

this was the first time i've ever seen that.... i have been running it,and i will keep monitoring.... (not much else i can do)
next time i take it in for service (alignment, etc.) i'll get some tests done.

thanks - but has nobody else experienced this with their car?

On my Tubi exhaust, when the engine is cold, and car has been sitting- one side seems to have more condensation. Probably just due to the design. Burns off when warmed up,
but might be collecting on your single tip?

I wondered if anyone would get my rolled 100 comment. :tongue:

Mechanic to Penguin...Looks like you blew a seal!

Do you mean one of the headgaskets? I suspect the same regarding your coolant level problem and white debris on one side of the exhaust. Maybe, maybe not.

The coolant level gets higher with no cap holding the pressure. But it does not overflow during idle.

ok, so i might be OK..... i think my coolant issue is really just a bad hose. (i think i found the culprit.... the hose next to the one i replaced!! :mad: )

anyway, i'm going to change that out and see if there are any other issues. i sure hope it isn't a head gasket.

i'll get it checked when i get my alignment and stuff done.

"Mechanic to Penguin...Looks like you blew a seal!"

lol lol, The older I get, the funnier old jokes become..........:tongue:

Back