More 05 RL info

Found this interesting article over at VTEC.net.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=230131

This hit the newstands only 3 days after the official RL pics were released by Honda. I found this portion of the article VERY interesting....

"According to the article, an RL/Legend test mule with a prototype SH-AWD sytstem was tested at the 'Ring against a Skyline GT-R. The article states that the RL's lap times consistently bested the GT-R."

I find it odd and kind of cool that Honda would put the new RL up against the Skyline GTR during pre-production testing.

which GTR are we talking about? The R34 or R35? I find it hard to believe it out lapped a R34 GTR. It's a decent performer and has what people believe to be well over 300hp. Maybe it was on a very tight track.

I heard it the other way around that the RL was just a couple seconds behind the GTR... and Jeff from VTEC.net was saying the same thing:

"yes, it seems a little unlikely. a couple of points though - the car that is compared to the GT-R is the prototype (which was a japanese market inspire fitted with the SH-AWD system). no word on how much power that prototype had nor how much it weighed.

also, in a separate report from Auto Express (which i have not directy read, but people have "cut & pasted" and e-mailed to me), they have it the other way around, saying the prototype was "not far off the pace of an R34 GT-R" or something like that. I'm not sure who to believe, though until I see further proof, I'm a little skeptical that the RL will be that quick, knowing what we know currently"

I don't know which Skyline they were referring to. If it was the R34, I'm sure it was one that was limited to 280hp and wasn't some track monster.

If it was the R34, isn't it odd that Honda would compare their car to the R34?

White92 said:
If it was the R34, isn't it odd that Honda would compare their car to the R34?

Why? Name all the 280-300hp AWD cars it could compare itself to.

Skyline R34
STi

The whole point was to test out the performance of the SH-AWD system vs. another high-end AWD system so I would think the R34 is the obvious choice.

Ok, let me reword that last statment. I don't think it's so much "odd" as I think it's pretty cool that Honda would have so much faith in their new design and stand behind it 110% that they put it up against what the rest of the world already views as a supercar. I don't think anyone would've ever thought to put the RL that we new in the past on the track against and R34 or STI. Would you? I know I wouldn't.

White92 said:
Ok, let me reword that last statment. I don't think it's so much "odd" as I think it's pretty cool that Honda would have so much faith in their new design and stand behind it 110% that they put it up against what the rest of the world already views as a supercar. I don't think anyone would've ever thought to put the RL that we new in the past on the track against and R34 or STI. Would you? I know I wouldn't.

Well I'm pretty sure the STi would kick its ass, and if the R34 had smoked it at the track you wouldn't be hearing about the results of the testing either. :p

I agree.

Back