mods in the for sale section

My car had over $30k & 2-3 years worth of labor, ordering parts, shipping and misc stuff. I only wanted about $10k of the $30K worth of mods done, the others parts I am trading off for the parts that I actually wanted at practically no cost.

Mods are only worth something to those who mod.
You would have to sell me a stock NSX for $10K below value for me to even consider it.

I don't think people who are stating 30K in mods are asking for 30K more, maybe $5-$7K more which is reasonable. There are many, many people that will pay 25% of the the value of the mods. Some really desirable mods get you 50% of the original cost back. Some get none because no one wants them.

The most popular mods that frequently get some value back IMHO is:
Exhaust
Headers
Suspension
Any Type-R style parts

The harder to get your money back ones due to personal preferences would be:
O2 Conversion - due to cost
Supercharger - worth more selling separately
Wheels - due to varying personal taste
Aftermarket Seats - worth more selling separately
Stereo Systems - not worth much to me

But in my case I found my car was done 90% the way I would have done it myself.

But then again our 97 is mostly stock and we like it that way, wheels, headers, Type-R spoiler and CF vents.

Last edited:
First let me say I agree in this economy everything's harder but certain items do not apply - luxury items such as our NSX or even cars in general are LUXURY items! thus any buyer looking to buy has disposable income so this should not be a real factor.

Example: Buyer is looking at a $60k NSX ~ he obviously has money to play with so nit-picking over a few grand shouldn't be an issue.

In a hard economy the first thing people cut are luxury items. I need to eat, I need transportation to work, but I don't need to have a fancy car to get to work. So we have the same supply of luxury items available with a smaller market for them so naturally the price goes down. The NSX market has been hit by this. We had the same number of people selling their cars and less people looking to buy them. So competition between sellers has lowered the price. Then we have owners who decided they can't afford to have a expensive toy sitting in the garage and decide to sell, which adds more to the supply. The price lowers until it gets its so low more people start considering buying an NSX again.

If luxury items were not affected by the economy BMW would not be offering 0.9% financing on everything.

I am still amazed at the number of people that quote how much money THEY spent on the aftermarket parts of their car. Do people still not get how little that helps a sale. It might say "$30,000 in modifications!" I wish people would understand that just because you alter the car a certain way does not mean it is worth more since you altered it from stock. The more mods you have done the more unique of a person it will take to buy the car that you have. Honestly, a stock NSX is the best car for holding value. For every mod you give a car it limits the number of buyers and doesn't raise the overall value that much.

I don't expect to get what I paid for my mods out of my car or even close. So I plan to enjoy what I did to it instead.

Some people mod their cars and the resale value actually goes down. On the other hand, the mods that I did to my car made its value go way up.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I am still amazed at the number of people that quote how much money THEY spent on the aftermarket parts of their car. Do people still not get how little that helps a sale. It might say "$30,000 in modifications!" I wish people would understand that just because you alter the car a certain way does not mean it is worth more since you altered it from stock. The more mods you have done the more unique of a person it will take to buy the car that you have. Honestly, a stock NSX is the best car for holding value. For every mod you give a car it limits the number of buyers and doesn't raise the overall value that much.

I don't expect to get what I paid for my mods out of my car or even close. So I plan to enjoy what I did to it instead.

uh..... :rolleyes:

different strokes for different folks. your sweeping generalization do not apply for everyone.

nsx with coilovers, headers and exhaust in my opinion will definitely get a lot more then a stock nsx. it all depends on the upgrades.

also quoting price gives people an idea of the amount of money gone into the car.

if someone spent 30K in parts and selling the car for $5000 more then a stock same condition car.... why would you pass it up?

if you like stock and slow and would rather save the $5Gs, that makes sense but if someone has put in ALL the upgrades you where going to get anyways, it would be stupid to get a stock car then put in 30k in so you can say you put in 30k into the car.

how long you been around the game? modding any car is BIG bucks and gets pricy real quick. NSX epitomizes this rule.

spend pennies on the dollar for good mods is a pretty sweet deal in my books.

if your looking for stock and slow, keep looking. When the NSX SPEED BUG bites, it'll bite you in the pocket book and also in the ass for not buying an already modded nsx and savings THOUSANDS in parts and labor costs.

btw vegas, i looked through your posts.... you seem to like spitting out a lot of numbers and love the big talk. Im curious, do you have a nsx?

Last edited:
Some people mod their cars and the resale value actually goes down. On the other hand, the mods that I did to my car made its value go way up.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

prime example is Steves car. clean mods and will definitely get more then stock. I would have to say, he would get a lot more if he parted out his car... cause as it stands right now, no one would by a $500,000 nsx :P

hahahahaha im so funny.:biggrin:

Last edited:
What I was saying is that when you post, "I spent 40k on my car" that is more of a marketing approach than anything. I would mod a NSX if a I had it however, buying someone else's modded out NSX is another story. Any car that has been turboed or SC'd has a story behind as to why it was done. Just like you wouldn't feel good about buying a supra used since they are molested and blown up all the time. A stock NSX is a solid starting block. If you buy someone else's project than it is hard to know how hard it was beat up.

The main issue is that people are trying to recoup a lot for their mods in some cases. I just can't see the prices on these cars. Especially in this economy!

You are under the assumption that someone's project car has a questionable history ("hard to know how hard it was beat up"). This may be true but is no different from a stock/unmodded car. IMO, if the mods are tasteful, respected manufacturers (CTech, Brembo, Sparco, Alpine etc) there is no reason to turn your head away from these cars IF you were going to do these mods anyway as others have stated. For a stock OR modded NSX, documentation of maintenance and a PPI (compression/leak down) should be done anyway. Mods add value to me since I know I will do it anyway. Eventhough the mods were not to my exact taste, I was able to sell off most of the mods and replace them for mods that are to my taste.

Jeff

Actually if you do not care for the mods and have and prefer original stock
sell off the mods after purchase to lower the acquistion costs. A used CTSC can fetch a tidy sum.

I'm gonna have to pull out my "Ginger or MaryAnn" question...

Ah... BOTH!

threesome.jpg

Back