Mitsubishi EVO vs. WRX STi

Thinking of replacing my daily driver. Which of these would you choose? The Subaru has a little more power and a more sophisticated (computer controlled) AWD system, but is a little more money.

Thoughts?

Jaosn

I like my Evo...it is a very precise car and has quite a bit of thrust when the turbo spools up....I considered the Subaru, but the Evo was much more sharp in terms of handling, and I like the Recaro seats more as well.

For me, both have more than enough power than I would ever use. So it comes down to looks. I like the looks of the EVO much better so I would go that route.

My opinion is the EVO is a budget car (Lancer) all beefed up. The WRX is a great car in its own right, not to mention the STi. The EVO wins in looks though. It could even be stealthy (a good thing) without that huge wing.

osugrad97 said:
My opinion is the EVO is a budget car (Lancer) all beefed up. The WRX is a great car in its own right, not to mention the STi. The EVO wins in looks though. It could even be stealthy (a good thing) without that huge wing.

Drive the Evo and you will realize it has nothing to do with a standard Lancer... :)

Dont get me wrong. I know its a great car. I guess my argument holds no water with the C5 vs ZO6 transforamtion as well.

There are articles comparing these two cars against each other in the June issues of both Car and Driver and Road & Track. The former slightly preferred the Evolution, while the latter came as close to a tie as you can. If you're serious about buying one of these two cars, I strongly suggest you read both articles before deciding:

Car and Driver
Road & Track

I have found that here in Chicago the new ones sell for very little more than a used one. I would rather know that the car was not abused for the same amount of money.

Thanks!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=592

Here's the Road&Track article.
One thing i had heard about from the evolution forums was that they had a really thin paint and there were several places that chipped rather soon. If you happen to go for the Mitsu consider getting stoneguard or something of the sort to prevent this from happening. Also I had the opportunity to take a look at and sit in both cars at the dealer and the STI didn't look like it was built as well. The side skirt fitment was just a bit tacky - just something that stood out to me and I thought I'd mention. I'm not sure which actually has better build quality. One last thing... the evo uses a higher boost (~19lbs on a 2 litre vs. the sti's ~14lb on a 2.5 litre), perhaps engine reliabilty/life is affected by this? Best of luck with your purchase, they both look like a blast to drive!

Buy the Evo.

My 15 year old son and I went out a month or so ago and drove a new Evo, and I was really quite impressed with the performance and handling. I felt that it was slightly quicker than both my '91 NSX and my '02 Boxster S, and that the handling was superb. The car I drove had 1800 miles on it, so during the test drive I got to really push it, and thought it was a blast.

I ended up buying a very rare (1 of 16 built) 1987 Porsche Turbo Look Cabriolet since I felt that the Evo would probably depreciate to the low 20's in a year, and that the Porsche wouldn't.

The dealer was willing to sell me any of the 4 cars he had for $29,812, which was MSRP less $1000. They were asking MSRP plus $3000 ($33,812).

MSRP minus $1k seems like a great deal.

Here in Chicago several dealers are adding the usual BS package of "paint protections" and other worthless or non-existing items and marking them up over $3k.

Meeyatch1 said:
Drive the Evo and you will realize it has nothing to do with a standard Lancer... :)

They both have a crappy interior... thats about all the similarity.

Paying a premiumover MSRP on a already marked-up car(compared to JDM price) on a Mitsubishi is just wrong in so many ways.

Back