MIRT?

Should MIRT devices be legal for civilians?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters
MIRT (Mobile InfraRed Transmitter) is what emergency vehicles use to change red lights to green. However, it appears that many civilians are getting ahold of these devices. (Washington Post) A search of eBay shows a number of these devices for sale.

Topics for discussion:

Does anyone out there have one of these? Does it really work?

As I understand it, since these devices transmit infrared and not radio, they are not governed by the FCC, and are, for now, legal. I doubt this will be the case much longer, but the question: Should they be illegal?

What about fairness in a society where some can make the light green at will? What would happen if everyone got one of these?

Equipment to signal traffic lights to clear the way for emergency equipment has been around for about 30 years. Different ways of transmitting the necessary signal are used. Radio, visible light and now infrared like your TV remote.

Cost of these systems is always an issue so they have been kept simple so the transmitters are easy to clone. Making them illegal is one way to try to fix the problem the other is to upgrade the technology so that it is not so simple to make a transmitter. Remote garage door openers had the same kind of problem years ago, now with rolling codes it is almost impossible to open someone's else's garage door.

I don't know if you've seen "The Italian Job" but in the movie what they essentially do is change the traffic light signals. All it did is cause huge accidents. I know its just a movie, but the implications are very negative. Get one of these in the wrong hands and their goes your NSX.

ravi

I always thought this was just urban legend. Around my neck of the woods (is that the problem?) the emergency vehicles have to navigate through intersections by using lights and sirens and hope traffic pays attention.

I read or heard somewhere that old traffic lights could be changed by flashing your highbeams from a certain distance, because this fooled the traffic light into thinking it was the light bar on an emergency vehicle. I never tried it, and don't know if it's an urban legend or not.

However, IF these MIRT devices actually work (big if, in my opinion), I would be very surprised if using one is not illegal already.
Forget whether the FCC has any jurisdiction over broadcasting of infrared, screwing around with the normal operation of traffic signals has to be illegal. The means by which you do it should be irrelevant.
And, as always, if what I am assuming is true, I'm sure owning one of these devices is probably legal, but using it is illegal.

I'm just guessing here, but that is what common sense tells me.

A good analogy is: It is legal to buy police-type equipment like lightbars, and install it on your car. However, if you are caught using it, you will get in trouble.

Been a while since my ethics course work but it is sad when you have to even have a poll about something like this. :eek:

Just for fun...

matteni said:
Been a while since my ethics course work but it is sad when you have to even have a poll about something like this. :eek:

I tossed the poll in just for fun. I see we got one person who likes these things :) .

nkb said:
However, IF these MIRT devices actually work (big if, in my opinion), I would be very surprised if using one is not illegal already.

YES they do work, but only on lights equipped with the receivers, which obviously isn't every traffic signal. NO they aren't illegal, but legislators are scrambling now that somebody is selling them cheap enough to hit the consumer market. IF you would even consider using equipment designed to save lives for your personal convenience you are just so WRONG! (not addressed at anyone here, I realize people are just curious):)

Nate

I may be all wet; but, I'll bet that, at least some jurisdictions, have a catch-all law on the books that would cover the use of these devices like the catch-all "Obstruction of Justice" charge.

Big_nate said:
NO they aren't illegal, but legislators are scrambling now that somebody is selling them cheap enough to hit the consumer market.
Are you making this statement based on specific knowledge, or anecdotal evidence?
MarkB said:
I may be all wet; but, I'll bet that, at least some jurisdictions, have a catch-all law on the books that would cover the use of these devices like the catch-all "Obstruction of Justice" charge.
I'm with you, MarkB. I find it hard to believe that there isn't some general law that prohibits interfering with the normal operation of traffic signals. It doesn't have to be specific to these devices.

Let's think about it, does anyone think you can break into the controller box for traffic lights, and mess with the operation that way? Or climb up the pole, and cover the lights? Do you think these instances are all specifically covered, or is there maybe some general "criminal mischief" law that applies?

Well, that supports what MarkB and I were saying earlier.

From the yahoo article
"Though many cities and states have laws against interfering with traffic lights, Misgen said the committee likely would recommend that the state legislature specifically outlaw the devices for unauthorized users."

nkb said:
Are you making this statement based on specific knowledge, or anecdotal evidence?

I was making the statement based on an AP article I read. I agree with you that basically you can't write laws that cover every single little detail of criminal mischief that people may discover. However, I think it probably expedites the legal process if you do have a specific law against a specific device or action. I read a story recently about how a motorist was charged with "obstruction of justice" for flashing his lights at oncoming motorists to warn of a speed trap. He fought it to the state supreme court and the conviction was thrown out. Good for him, BTW, but I wouldn't want to see a MIRT user tie up the court system in the same kind of debate. Better just to specifically outlaw unauthorized use and be done with it.

In summation;

MIRT = BAD

Flashing lights = GOOD (please keep it up, not enough people seem to care anymore):)

Nate

We can not flash our lights but the police can dress as constuction workers and fool us.
What has this come to with all these double standards.

steveny said:
We can not flash our lights but the police can dress as constuction workers and fool us.
What has this come to with all these double standards.

:eek: You have cops that dress as construction workers? Thats insane! I thought it was bad when I got busted (twice) by aircraft in Ohio. I thought it was one of the urban myths until it happened to me. My advice to anybody driving thru the midwest, don't speed in OH.

Nate

Big_nate said:
:eek: You have cops that dress as construction workers? Thats insane! I thought it was bad when I got busted (twice) by aircraft in Ohio. I thought it was one of the urban myths until it happened to me. My advice to anybody driving thru the midwest, don't speed in OH.

Nate

They will be up in a cherry picker looking as if they are changing a street light. I have also been told they appear to be a surveyor but the transit is actually a radar gun. Recently they have been hiding in the bushes. I just do not speed anymore its just not worth it. I took a 2 1/2 hour trip on the NYS thruway two nights ago and counted 19 people pulled over. IMO 55 is outdated but the powers that be keep it in place because of the revenue it creates. I just wish the truth be told when I get pulled over. Its always "we want to be sure your safe" when the truth is all they are wanting is your cash.
I think no one should be able to write a speeding ticket that speeds themselves. I would give my eye teeth to have all law enforcement cars equipped with a car speed monitor and GPS locater. Every time the car exceeded the posted speed without the emergency lights on it would be recorded. Then the officer would have to fill out a ten page explanation why he exceeded the speed limit. A board of unbiased officials would review it and if the reason was unwarranted, TICKET for the officer.

Back