Midnight_Raven's Build

Looks like you are spot on and have a healthy motor to me. Not sure about the "redline", you mean you are getting ignition cut there?

Here is the video of the pull.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200276420622590" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Here is a youtube version of it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GXcOn1bUsl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
My Shorai battery finally arrived today and I just finished putting it on. My old battery and bracket combo weighed 36.2lbs. The shoari battery, bracket, and hardware weighed a total of 6.2lbs. Therefore a weight savings of 30lbs compared to the interstate one I had on.

If my measurements are correct my curb weight should be 2802.3 lbs Oh yeah!

So next up is my 6 speed transmission and clutch and that will complete my 2nd stage of modifications for the NSX.

So for now I guess there will be a break in the action until next year, since I am trying to finish off paying my school loans this year, therefore I need to wait to save up for the transmission next year.

Here's a recent picture I took of the NSX while I went to check out a event this weekend. That Maserati looks huge next to the NSX lol

Last edited:
6 speed? nice....

- - - Updated - - -

Where is my bumper beam pal...

Dave,
Yeah I've decided I'm not going to bother repairing the 5 speed transmission when I could just buy a 6 speed instead. Not planning on doing the type-R final drive either. Planning on the stock 4.06 final drive that way I would be able to give the car more power down the road and not feel like the gears are too short if that makes any sense.

Colin,
Thanks for the awesome battery. Car starts up just like before and it might be in my head but it seems like it is easier to turn the wheel now due to the reduced weight in the front. So I'm happy with the battery. :)

Good idea on the final drive. With a blower it's a useless mod.

Dave,
Colin,
Thanks for the awesome battery. Car starts up just like before and it might be in my head but it seems like it is easier to turn the wheel now due to the reduced weight in the front. So I'm happy with the battery. :)

You're welcome! It's pretty impressive how something that small and light can start up a car, right? Turn in while at speed should feel a bit sharper too.

I was wondering something. When I purchased my NSX my intentions were to find a NSX that had some paint issue so that I could repaint it Magnum Grey Pearl when the funds were finally available to do so. I've been obviously holding out until I fixed my transmission before I would then commit to repainting the car. One issue that has come up though is that the clear coat on my roof has started chipping/ fading away/peeling off the base paint. It looks like crap and I'm getting the feeling I need to repaint the roof soon or else live with the embarrassment of really bad paint on my roof. Then the thought hit me what if I paint my roof Magnum grey Pearl and leave the body Sebring Silver. It would let me preview the color in person before I commit to painting it completely that color and it's pretty dark enough that it kind of looks black in certain angles so it wouldn't seem really crazy of a color scheme. I could be wrong though.

What do you guys think? Does that seem like a horrible idea?

I just don't want to repaint the roof black to then later on just paint it Magnum Grey. It would just be cheaper to do it once or in this case in parts roof first then the rest of the body later.

Now to show you how bad it's getting it's turned from this (Picture #1) to this (Picture #2 and 3). The majority of this change happened when I took my car on a road trip down to Virginia about a month and a half ago. Maybe the paint being under 18 hours of direct sunlight and some on/off rain caused the clear to loose it's adhesion to the base paint.

Picture #1: Most of that is just the reflection of clouds in the sky. Mainly two big scratches and a little fading in the front was the paint issue when I bought it in 2011.

Picture #2: Now it's just a big cloudy looking blob of fading paint. The white specks are where the clearcoat has completely lifted off the paint. Makes me sad looking at it in this state.

Picture #3:

Last edited:
looks like some acid or other solvent dripped on your roof?:confused:

Not sure how it happened just noticed it looked alot worse after my trip. I could see that the clear coat was bubbling off in certain areas I actually removed some of the clear and put down some clear coat touch up in an area to give the paint a little more protection until the time for repaint came.

I know some guys cover their roof and pillars in Carbon Fiber parts/overlays which doesn't look so crazy and I'm assuming Magnum Grey would have the same look from a distance. So... do you guys think painting the roof Magnum Grey Pearl instead of Berlina Black would look worse or okay?

since you are undecided about paint just wrap the roof for now.

I think that combo might look kind of neat s they are all in the same color family.

Alright so I did one more thing out of sequence recently because I thought it was a nice wheel and didn't know how much longer supplies of these would last. I purchased a Mugen III steering wheel (Have to give credit to phryxis since his picture motivated me to purchase this wheel) and installed it yesterday. Also purchased a 6 speed shift ball (not installed yet), in preparation of the 6 speed I'll be upgrading to in the future, and purchased driving gloves to protect the suede. Neat thing about the glove is now I have something to cover the ball and the NSX logo from the sun so I don't burn my palm and arm anymore lol.

Last edited:
Looks awesome Anthony very racy and simple

phryxis, yes I think it's awesome too :). The contours on the wheels for the hand positions feel great and it looks nice too. Thanks for the link I'll add it to my favorites for when I need it.

Did a little cosmetic update to the NSX yesterday. With my steering wheel now having a Honda horn button, I wanted to get rid of all the Acura emblems on the exterior to make it all match. I purchased a 2001 Honda Prelude badge for the front which was the perfect size for the swap. Painted it black, drilled two new holes into the front bumper so that the H covers the two previous holes, and installed. It complete the black and silver theme I have with the car and I'm happy with it. I also ordered a vinyl decal and installed it in the rear center tail lamp piece to mimic the old NA1 Type-R tail light but with a twist. I used the newer Honda logo which is more rounder looking than the old Honda logo. Either way finished installing in about 30 min and put it back on the car. Looks great imo and makes the rear look complete.

NA1 Type-R center piece with old Honda logo.
IMG_0586.jpg

NA2 Type-R center piece with new Honda logo.
p1030218f.jpg

My setup with the mix of both NA1 and NA2 badge :)

Prelude Badge painted black.

Last edited:
I like the badges, well done.

I sometimes debate if I should switch out my emblems and badges to Honda ones (especially since my wheels have Honda center caps).
But it seems like a bit of a hassle and I don't care to change my steering wheel, which would require finding a Honda airbag.
Once again more trouble than it is worth, to me.
Lol, I'm so lazy.

Thanks JLCoolman. If you have an Acura airbag I don't think it's worth changing it out to Honda one. I only changed it out because I changed my steering wheel. If it wasn't for that reason I would still had Acura bag, and emblems on it. Not worth the money just to change the logo if nothing else is really changing imo.

So I think I've made up my mind on the roof situation... er... the car actually. I would love to repaint the car Magnum Grey Pearl but I think reality struck the amount of money I would need to spend to do that could really be used better on other things besides my car... like my mortgage and or home repairs/upgrades lol. I don't want to dump too much money into the NSX in such a short time. Maybe 10 years down the road when the car is mechanically perfect and I'm starting to get bored of the look I'll do the color change. I can still enjoy it as a Sebring :).

With that said I've decided I'm going to repaint the roof, a pillars, b pillars, and door handle area black again. Also want to repaint the front bumper since it's has some visible paint damage to it. Will try to do this in October or November. Hopefully it won't cost more than 2K to just do those areas since it's such a small percentage of the total area.

Do you guys think that is a reasonable price estimate for painting those items?

I have a general inquiry to see what you guys think.

What do you think would look better with my interior from the 4 options below?

A) All Black sueded seats. Would be simple and help make the suede steering wheel match something else in the interior. Most simple and sporty looking setup.
blackclothrecaro1280x86-1.jpg

B) Black leather seats with black perforated suede inserts. It would be a subtle change and help make the suede steering wheel mix in with the almost all leather looking interior. Most subtle looking setup.
poleposition_vinylblack_gre.jpg

C) Black leather seats with grey perforated suede inserts. Grey perforated suede will also be on the door inserts to make it flow better. Will look very Type-S like but with a black suede steering wheel and a grey suede insert the suede used won't really match. Probably the most fancy/expensive/luxurious look.
pole_position_06.jpg

D) Black suede seats with grey perforated suede inserts. Grey perforated suede will also be on the door inserts to make it flow better. The black sude seats would go with the black suede steering wheel and the grey perforated material will give the interior a type S look. Although with no leather it will not fit in very well with the rest of the interior. Sporty looking with a bit of flare lol.
bilcsm.jpg

I'm leaning heavily to option C or D but a darker grey not as light as the one in the picture.

Last edited:
I decided I want to do a couple of things this winter to the NSX. I do not want to spend too much money on the car this winter (since next major thing is the trans) but I wanted to do something that is big too. Therefore I decided I'm going to start converting my interior to NA1 NSX-R style. I've ordered black alcantara from Jeff and will recieve it some time next week. I think I'll start with the rear panels and work my way to the front since the dash will be the hardest to do. Since the dash has to come out it gives me a reason to fix the cracked vent piece that is common on early model NSX.

Although the update will be done with a twist. Instead of red threading like the NA1 Type-R comes with, I'm going to use silver threading to match my black and silver theme. Should be an interesting project and I'll start updating the thread as I make each peice. Hopefully it comes together as I envision. Should make my mugen wheel match now too so I'm glad to make the interior more uniform. I'm also considering removing all of my audio equipment as well. I'm still on the fence if I want to give up having music in the car since I do enjoy listening to tunes while I drive.

Either way just wanted to state my goal for the winter and to give you guys a head up of the plan. Should be an interesting winter.

Back