MDX antenna vs. Shark Attack II

I am interested in the MDX antenna, which is the same price as the Shark Attack II antenna, and supposed to have better reception.

Anyone ever tried it out? I did a search here on Prime, but didn't find anything.

LINK

Attachments

• mdx.jpg
    mdx.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 583
  • sharkattack_2.jpg
    sharkattack_2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 490
I have the Shark antenna and am very happy with it. I don't recall having any reception issues. Although it is pretty tough to get it tightened on the inside of the rear fender. Not much room to work with it there and it is akward to get at.

Shark Attack II antenna is a bitch to put in.. trying to screw on a nut with three fingers up a hole- trying to make sure the nut spins but that the other part remains orientated to the antenna...

I'm about to break things :frown:

so I finally got this installed- however, when I connect power to the Shark Attack II antenna using the pink with white stripe wire as instructed, this causes my amps to turn off.

If I disconnect the wire, everything is good except my antenna reception sucks cuz it's no longer powered.
There is also a green wire (guessing ground) and a blue w/ white stripe.

I don't use the radio much, but it would still be nice to have decent reception.

Any ideas?

Thx

My Shark Attack II dosn't get nearly as good of reception as stock. With the power disconnected their is no reception but with it connected to a power source it works well, but isn't as clear as stock. It appears that everyone has had better luck reception than me. :frown:

shark ii works ok.

the easiest way to install one is to get a 1/2 drive deep socket of the same size as the nut on the antenna, without attaching the wrench, feed the wires through the 1/2 drive hole in the socket and tighten the nut by hand. you will have enaugh grip to securily fasten the nut.

The Shark Attack II is relatively easy to install with the socket helper. I think the socket is 7/8 inch or the nearest metric size. The socket holds the locknut in a way your fingers cannot.

I think the MDX antenna requires a slightly larger hole than stock. And I am absolutely unwilling to remove metal in my fender for a !#% antenna.

I think the Shark's reception is not as good as the stock motorized antenna but it is more than good enough.

ahh.. good idea. I was wondering what to do with the wires.. but using a socket without the wrench is a great idea. thx

I just don't have the power hooked up cuz it kills my amps. I can live with that.

beats the hell out of that old clanky auto antenna :cool:

Last edited:
Is your stereo stock? I can't imagine why hooking up the antenna causes your amps to shut down. There is some weird wiring fault at work. It is almost as if the remote turn on lead to the amps is wired wrong.

I know there is a third option of using the S2000 antennae. Are there any other options and how does the S2000 compare against these other two?

You are using the power antenna lead (solid blue) from the head unit to the pink wire on the Shark Antenna, correct? Don't use the remote AMP turn-on (blue with white stripe) to power the antenna. I have mine wired to the solid blue wire and it's working fine on AM/FM.

so I finally got this installed- however, when I connect power to the Shark Attack II antenna using the pink with white stripe wire as instructed, this causes my amps to turn off.

If I disconnect the wire, everything is good except my antenna reception sucks cuz it's no longer powered.
There is also a green wire (guessing ground) and a blue w/ white stripe.

I don't use the radio much, but it would still be nice to have decent reception.

Any ideas?

Thx

You are using the power antenna lead (solid blue) from the head unit to the pink wire on the Shark Antenna, correct? Don't use the remote AMP turn-on (blue with white stripe) to power the antenna. I have mine wired to the solid blue wire and it's working fine on AM/FM.

hmm.. the wire from the Shark Attack is red.
I have this connected to the pink/white stripe wire that was on the connector to the old power antenna.

There is also a green wire and a blue/white stripe wire on the connector. I have not done anything with these.

My stereo is not stock, and I have an amp driving the door speakers.
However, the subwoofer and middle speaker are still stock and driven by the stock amp. Those 2 stock ones shut down when red shark connects to NSX pink/white.

Maybe my non-stock head unit wasn't connected correctly.. any danger trying the blue/white wire to the red shark?

Last edited:
I suspect that pink/white wire was changed when the aftermarket equipment was installed. The pink/white SHOULD be the correct wire to supply +12V to the antenna. With an aftermarket headunit that wire should probably be the antenna turnon lead of the headunit.

I would put a voltmeter on it and test its signal.

If it is too hard to fix - you might find another switched 12V wire and run it to the trunk for the Shark antenna.

Is the blue the correct power wire? The directions for the Shark Attack II state to use the white/pink wire as the power.

On aftermarket head unit's the solid blue is the correct wire. The directions you are referring to are correct for the connections back at the antenna. Pink/white to the red Shark Antenna. However, what I was referring to was the connection at an aftermarket head unit. You have to connect the solid blue wire from the head unit to the pink/white wire on the factory harness which would then connect to the red wire back on the antenna.

Bwood - Not sure why you would want the stock sub and middle speaker still operating along with the aftermarket components. This can't be good for the imaging in you car (NSX's are already a challege). The pink/white wire you are using for the antenna also turns on the amplifier card inside the sub (which also powers the small speaker in between the seats). There is something wrong if hooking up this wire causes the amp in the sub to shut down. You can disconnect your sub and try the reception on your antenna with the wire hooked up.

Maybe my non-stock head unit wasn't connected correctly.. any danger trying the blue/white wire to the red shark?

Isn't this wire already being used to turn on the aftermarket amp that drives the door speakers??? If anything.......USE the solid blue.....this way the antenna amp is only powered up when the head unit is in radio mode.

Last edited:
hmmmm....I have an MDX so maybe I could pull of the antenna and give it a shot......wife might be a little upset....:biggrin:

We definitely don't want to be responsible for wife being upset ...... :wink:

From all the posts on this thread and others thus far, we have concluded that fro most the Shark II is not on par with the OEM. The S2000 seems to be pretty close but some don't want to widen the hole to make the S2000 work - and albeit unlike the Shark, you can't unscrew the leg of the antenna.

If the MDX fist the same size hole that is a huge plus if the reception is on par with the OEM - even if it too is one piece.

On aftermarket head unit's the solid blue is the correct wire. The directions you are referring to are correct for the connections back at the antenna. Pink/white to the red Shark Antenna. However, what I was referring to was the connection at an aftermarket head unit. You have to connect the solid blue wire from the head unit to the pink/white wire on the factory harness which would then connect to the red wire back on the antenna.

Bwood - Not sure why you would want the stock sub and middle speaker still operating along with the aftermarket components. This can't be good for the imaging in you car (NSX's are already a challege). The pink/white wire you are using for the antenna also turns on the amplifier card inside the sub (which also powers the small speaker in between the seats). There is something wrong if hooking up this wire causes the amp in the sub to shut down. You can disconnect your sub and try the reception on your antenna with the wire hooked up.

Isn't this wire already being used to turn on the aftermarket amp that drives the door speakers??? If anything.......USE the solid blue.....this way the antenna amp is only powered up when the head unit is in radio mode.

Thanks.. I'll give that a shot. If it doesn't work I will just leave the antenna unpowered. I use my ipod mainly anyway.

Yeah.. about my setup. I'm halfway thru changing it out.
I have an aftermarket head combined with an aftermarket amp sitting behind the passenger seat that drives the door speakers (still stock speakers .. yuck). The bass is driven by the stock subwoofer, with that stock amp.
I unplugged the center speaker cuz it didn't mesh well volume-wise with the doors and sub.
It sounds ok, except for the fact that the stock door speaksers have terrible treble response. I'm thinking of getting that SOS door speaker mount and putting some aftermarkets in.
When I attach the pink/white to the red Shark, I lose the subwoofer amp. The aftermarket door amp is still ok.

**SORRY if I hijacked your thread Hrant

Last edited:
seems to me people that have poor reception with shark2 may have power-up issues. i am currently using my shark with no power connected (unrelated issue) and although it works, the reception is noticeably weaker. of course once the power is connected it works great- i really cannot say it is weaker than oem because based on my findings it works the same.

I know there is a third option of using the S2000 antennae. Are there any other options and how does the S2000 compare against these other two?

I've installed both the Shark attack and the S2000 and in terms of installation there is no comparison. The S2000 is a pain to install and requires some major dremmel action inside the rear quarter to make it fit.

I have installed the S2000 antenna on my car but with some mods I made. I am currently making 2 more for some guys here in Nor Cal. With the mods the are no problems with fit, don't have to damage your car and the reception is really good. Just take out the oem and use the original nut and flare piece and plug in a power wire, You do have to purchase a S2000 antenna though.

I have installed the S2000 antenna on my car but with some mods I made. I am currently making 2 more for some guys here in Nor Cal. With the mods the are no problems with fit, don't have to damage your car and the reception is really good. Just take out the oem and use the original nut and flare piece and plug in a power wire, You do have to purchase a S2000 antenna though.

any possibility you took some pics of this install?

Back