McLaren MP4-12C

I was watching a documetary on BBC about building the McLaren MP4-12C and everytime I look at the car I can't help but think, thats how the NSX2.0 should have looked. Anyone else feel the same?

McLaren-MP4-12C.jpg

mclaren-mp4-12c-7_1477382c.jpg

Many have noticed that the MP4-12C seems to have a lot of NSX influence - from the headlight humps, hoodline to the rear fenders lines, side intake and even integrated spoiler. The only thing not prevalent are the B pillars or the fact that the McLaren has really thick A pillars which may limit visibility further.

Nonetheless, I think the new concept can compete on a design level since when put side to side, it becomes clear that they are very much alike and there is no denying the original influence:

McLaren-MP4-12C_2011_800x600_wallpaper_2e.jpg

Acura-NSX_Concept_2012_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg

The only thing I would be envious about is the TT V8. The hammer snub nose also comes into question thanks to the higher hood line on the concept. Other than that I think Honda can come up with a something that is practical and sophisticated at a much more modest price...

Many have noticed that the MP4-12C seems to have a lot of NSX influence - from the headlight humps, hoodline to the rear fenders lines, side intake and even integrated spoiler. The only thing not prevalent are the B pillars or the fact that the McLaren has really thick A pillars which may limit visibility further.

Nonetheless, I think the new concept can compete on a design level since when put side to side, it becomes clear that they are very much alike and there is no denying the original influence:

McLaren-MP4-12C_2011_800x600_wallpaper_2e.jpg

Acura-NSX_Concept_2012_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg

The only thing I would be envious about is the TT V8. The hammer snub nose also comes into question thanks to the higher hood line on the concept. Other than that I think Honda can come up with a something that is practical and sophisticated at a much more modest price...

I will probably be in the minority here, but I really like the NSX 2.0 overall design (excluding "power plenum"). I absolutely agree the McLaren looks like an evolution of the original NSX with some liberties taken, but the 2.0 has a tighter, sharper look. I would be proud to drive either of them though.

I was watching a documetary on BBC about building the McLaren MP4-12C and everytime I look at the car I can't help but think, thats how the NSX2.0 should have looked. Anyone else feel the same?

McLaren-MP4-12C.jpg

mclaren-mp4-12c-7_1477382c.jpg

Totally agree. I've even said before that the new NSX, if it had come out looking like the MP4-12C does, would have been MUCH more well received.

I LIKE the MP4-12C look...for me, the jury is still out on the "NSX sccessor"...(next summer, baby!!!)

I don't think you are a minority Caustic. I think there are many people who like the new NSX. It just so happens that the majority of them probably never owned an NSX before, but that's OK :wink:

And just for those pesky R8 beholders, here is a breakdown of the comparison:

weightclass.jpg

As you can see, the R8 is bloated beyond belief and would/should never be mistaken for the NSX. It looks so plain and mundane next to the other two modern cars and just plain fat next to the original NSX. This is not even the regular R8 either! If you still associate the Audi NSX-wannabe to the NSX after this, then I fear you may have some psychological walls that cannot be overcome :redface: They should not even considered in the same category. Almost looks like a saloon car to me with mini suicide doors - a very nice saloon it would be tho :rolleyes:

Nice comparo, N Spec. I agree that from the side view, the new NSX and R8 look nothing alike. The R8 looks like a TT from that angle. :(

As far as the new NSX design is concerned, in the past 20 years there have so many sports car concepts with a sleek low-slung profile that could have easily been used for it. For example, the new Esprit concept below. It's very difficult to produce original car designs anymore, which is why I love the Aventador--it's different and yet evolutionary from the Murcielago. Anyway, I'm just happy that Honda decided to produce a new NSX, and a mid-engine one at that! For so many years we were left in doubt. But I guess you can never satisfy everyone.

DzUXH.png

The looks are just one of the many similarities between these two cars....Sitting and driving one, with the MP4 12-C, this is like driving an NSX with a new Interior with double the horse power. That is how I felt after driving the McLaren MP4-12C.

The only thing that it is missing is the NSX engine sound at high Rev's and the intake growl, the MP4-12C all you hear is exhaust…no engine sound

Bram

Last edited:
I will probably be in the minority here, but I really like the NSX 2.0 overall design (excluding "power plenum"). I absolutely agree the McLaren looks like an evolution of the original NSX with some liberties taken, but the 2.0 has a tighter, sharper look. I would be proud to drive either of them though.

+1 :biggrin:

I don't think you are a minority Caustic. I think there are many people who like the new NSX. It just so happens that the majority of them probably never owned an NSX before, but that's OK :wink:

weightclass.jpg

As you can see, the R8 is bloated beyond belief and would/should never be mistaken for the NSX. It looks so plain and mundane next to the other two modern cars and just plain fat next to the original NSX. This is not even the regular R8 either! If you still associate the Audi NSX-wannabe to the NSX after this, then I fear you may have some psychological walls that cannot be overcome :redface: They should not even considered in the same category. Almost looks like a saloon car to me with mini suicide doors - a very nice saloon it would be tho :rolleyes:

Thanks N-Spec I saw NSX 2.0 when it debuted and went right over to the Audi R8. They didn't favor but people don't want to listen:cool:

weightclass.jpg

After seeing these side shots, I can't help looking at the McLaren and original NSX. Its as if Mclaren said, "Well, Honda isn't doing anything, we might as well take the NSX and bring it into the 21st century." I know McLaren has always been fond the NSX, but it's remarkable how much the MP4-12C looks like an evolution of the NSX, right down to the B-pillar. I'm convinced.

I know McLaren has always been fond the NSX, but it's remarkable how much the MP4-12C looks like an evolution of the NSX, right down to the B-pillar. I'm convinced.

Believe me, if I had the money, I'd have custom ordered my Midnight Pearl 12C by now.

The thought of Mclaren ordering a bunch of PB-73P from Honda to paint my imaginary car with makes me smile.

The MP4-12C still cant touch its predecessor IMO. Like the Countach and NSX, the original McLaren was unmistakeable in appearance. With so many vehicles out there now, the MP4-12C doesnt really stand out like it should.

Back to the topic though.. I agree, it has NSX written all over it.

Believe me, if I had the money, I'd have custom ordered my Midnight Pearl 12C by now.

The thought of Mclaren ordering a bunch of PB-73P from Honda to paint my imaginary car with makes me smile.

That would be so awesome.

...the MP4-12C doesnt really stand out like it should.

I would respectfully disagree as an objective spectator/participant at several car shows, a few racetracks, and a super car drive event. I've sat in one and didn't like the interior at first, then I was lucky enough to drive one at a level slightly beyond my capability (I confess)

The MP4-12C as a runway supermodel... she walks the walk
The MP4-12C as a "drive me till you scare yourself", yea she's good
The MP4-12C as a go to the hardware store and pick up lumber = Fail

As a current NSX owner, its the ONLY current car that could replace the one in my garage. Waiting for the NEW NSX to see the numbers and drive reports

I've been saying this forever :smile:

The MP4-12C as a runway supermodel... she walks the walk - Right...
The MP4-12C as a "drive me till you scare yourself", yea she's good - Right...
The MP4-12C as a go to the hardware store and pick up lumber = Fail - Who cares??? :D

As a current NSX owner, its the ONLY current car that could replace the one in my garage. Waiting for the NEW NSX to see the numbers and drive reports

DITTO!!!

The MP4-12C still cant touch its predecessor IMO. Like the Countach and NSX, the original McLaren was unmistakeable in appearance. With so many vehicles out there now, the MP4-12C doesnt really stand out like it should.

+10

After seeing these side shots, I can't help looking at the McLaren and original NSX. Its as if Mclaren said, "Well, Honda isn't doing anything, we might as well take the NSX and bring it into the 21st century." I know McLaren has always been fond the NSX, but it's remarkable how much the MP4-12C looks like an evolution of the NSX, right down to the B-pillar. I'm convinced.

+10 - there IS an historic connection between the two already anyway...

The looks are just one of the many similarities between these two cars....Sitting and driving one, with the MP4 12-C, this is like driving an NSX with a new Interior with double the horse power. That is how I felt after driving the McLaren MP4-12C.

The only thing that it is missing is the NSX engine sound at high Rev's and the intake growl, the MP4-12C all you hear is exhaust…no engine sound

THAT's what I love...

The F1 is not the predecessor to the MP4, they are two different cars at two different price points and purposes. That's a bit like saying the integra is the predecessor to the NSX, on a different scale. They are made by the same company, one is much more "mass market".

They made basically two cars, two different times. One iconic, one to attempt to be iconic but not cost an arm and a leg because they wouldn't survive in today's market. Predecessor maybe not technically in this situation.

But your comparison of Integra to NSX is exponentially worse.

Integra as great as it was, was THE entry level Acura, no need to define what the NSX was. Both produced within a fleet of other Honda/Acuras so the predecessor/successor would not apply.

The Integra was however the predecessor to the RSX

Last edited:
No no no :) using your analogy- the mp4 is the entry level mclaren just like the integra was Honda's entry level car. Plus there is an F1 successor on the way right now from mclaren so I'm not sure how you can say that the mp4 is its successor. It's a misconception bc it's the only two road cars they've made- they aren't related at all. Two different models from one companies line up as you put it.

Last edited:
Plus there is an F1 successor on the way right now from mclaren so I'm not sure how you can say that the mp4 is its successor.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2015-mclaren-f1-future-cars

Exactly :)

MP4 is worlds different than the F1 - different beasts entirely. I have to agree that the McLaren group seems to be taking up the challenge in providing a spiritual NSX replacement vehicle.

I have been eyeing the MP4 in the same way I eyed the NSX so many years ago; thinking "maybe some day....". Who knows, maybe that dream will have the same happy ending as my daydreaming of owning an NSX did :)

Last edited:
I will be right there with you. Except I worry about the mclaren maintenance costs- that would be the only thing holding me back. Parts are priced according to original msrp so we're screwed... I think it will be a 360 or F430 along the way. Not that I would complain about that :)

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2015-mclaren-f1-future-cars

Exactly :)

MP4 is worlds different than the F1 - different beasts entirely. I have to agree that the McLaren group seems to be taking up the challenge in providing a spiritual NSX replacement vehicle.

I have been eyeing the MP4 in the same way I eyed the NSX so many years ago; thinking "maybe some day....". Who knows, maybe that dream will have the same happy ending as my daydreaming of owning an NSX did :)

How reliable these cars or is it designed for daily driving like NSX or R8 that they claim? Do you have to do maintenance every 500 miles or breaks down every time you drive it like Ferrari or Lambo?

How reliable these cars or is it designed for daily driving like NSX or R8 that they claim? Do you have to do maintenance every 500 miles or breaks down every time you drive it like Ferrari or Lambo?
That is an excellent question, but until they have been on the road for 5 or more years, I am not sure that I will be really convinced about anyones answer to that question.

Back