Mazda vs. Acura Styling

Recently it seems both Acura and Mazda have tried to re-engineer their styling identity. And both decided to use a pentagon shaped grille aperture to define the new look (I'm speaking about Acura's non-NSX vehicles).

Acura went with a chrome surround, and Mazda went with body color as well as horizontal strakes inside the pentagon*. I must say I think Mazda has been more successful. I notice their grilles, and take note of the car attached to it. The Acura attempt seems to blend in with all the other chrome-ringed grilles, from Mercedes to Hyundai.

I think Mazda has achieved a more modern, aggressive, sporty styling with their new grille and Acura has failed to set themselves apart from others with their version. JMO.

*The Mazda RX8 does not use the horizontal bands, and is the worst version of this stylized grille in my opinion.

Overall I feel the newer Acura styling of the latest TSX, TL, RL as well as the slight changes to the MDX are MUCH more appealing than any of the Mazdas regardless of grilles.

I find the RX-8 to be absolutely hideous from all angles (just a personal opinion, no offense to RX-8 owners on these boards). I much prefer the styling of the 350Z and Infiniti G35c (disclaimer: of which I own) to the RX-8.

I'm not crazy about the new grills on the Acura. Looking at the TL that chrome ring just doesn't jive with the rest of the styling (which is a home run IMO).

Being a Honda fan the Acura's look way better than the Mazda's. Any ways I see way more TL's and TSX's than 3's and 6's each day.

Back