Manual vs. Auto

Considering an automatic for the purchase of my first NSX. (Low mileage, early years) I have heard/read only bits and pieces about the performance differences and would like to know more about rpm, top end speed/performance, transmission maintenance and reliability, upgrade options, market value, etc. I'm sure this has already been discussed. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

Regardless of the technical differences, I would say go for a manual. I made the mistake of buying an Automatic when I purchased my C5 Corvette, and regret it to this day.

I'm sure some of the NSXperts will chime in to answer your techical questions.

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

I have driven both and I thought the auto was ok. The auto I drove had comptech headers and exhaust, so it should have been putting out the same HP as a manual. That being said, my 5speed feels WAY faster and it is stock.

If I had to drive in a TON of traffic everyday, I would consider the Auto, but only under those cicumstances.

Originally posted by Joe Salazar:
I'm sure this has already been discussed. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

You are absolutely right. This has been discussed many times. Try doing a search. I'm sure u will find all the information u need.

In any case, let me throw in my 2 cents. I personally have an automatic, and the automatic seems to have a lower resale than their manual counterparts. However, this is all relative. I know of a couple that paid premium for an automatic NSX because thats what they wanted, and automatics are rarer. I however got a discount because the dealer couldn't find a buyer for an automatic NSX.

As far as performance mods go, u really need a manual. The auto tranny simply cannot handle mods beyond an intake, header and exhaust according to Mark Basch.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

There are 75 topics that have "auto" in the subject. Click on the word "search" up above and you can bring them up.

would like to know more about rpm, top end speed/performance, transmission maintenance and reliability, upgrade options, market value, etc.

Redline is 7500 RPM on the automatic, 8000 on the manual. The automatic has 252 hp, the manual 270 ('91-96) or 290 ('97+). Regarding performance, acceleration is less on the automatic (a half second slower 0-60 than the five-speed) but the suspension is the same. I think the automatic requires less maintenance (you don't have to replace a clutch every 40-50K miles) and is pretty reliable.

The bottom line on this, as I see it, goes something like this. If you really want a manual, but you're considering an automatic because you're hoping to save a few bucks, don't do it; get the manual car you want. If you really want an automatic because you prefer driving an automatic, then go for the automatic.

Driving in heavy traffic is one of the considerations. Personally, I have no preference at this time. I just did not want to purchase an inferior product for reasons that I was not aware of.
Thanks again for everyone's input

Driving in heavy traffic is one of the considerations. Personally, I have no preference at this time. I just did not want to purchase an inferior product for reasons that I was not aware of.
Thanks again for everyone's input

Being an automatic sports car guy, I have to say I am disappointed in the NSX automatic. Compared to my 89 MR-2 SC automatic, it has a tendency to upshift too soon and downshift too slowly. It is more comparable to the Eclipse GT I had recently, but at least that had a manual shift mode (that I started using more and more, even though it had a terrible shift delay).

I would definitely recommend getting the new paddle shift automatic if you can.

Driving the NSX has tempted me toward a manual, but manually shifting the automatic in the city changes my mind. Too much shifting in the city.

BTW, how fast are the shifts with the paddle shift automatic when shifting manually?

A manual vs an automatic in an NSX is an "often" debated subject. And in the end, the real answer is really subjective,more than anything else.

The stick shift in the NSX is really quite easy to drive. Personally speaking, much of the overall enjoyment of the car would be greatly dimished with this very important part changed. I would honest believe that most owners of sports cars (of any make) that are true enthusiasts appreciate manual transmissions. To that end, with the exception of luxury sports cars (Mercedes SL for example), cars like the NSX, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.are mostly expected to have stick shift transmissions - at least from the bulk of the sport driving buyers.

Unless there is a "must" reason for an automatic, think hard. I honestly believe you would have no regrets with either the
5-speed or the 6-speed

For me it depends where you are driving it more than anything else. If you live i a hilly urban area, get the auto. You would not be able to really use the car anyway that much cuz of city driving.

else the 5/6spd is the way to go. It feels so sweet to go through those gears.

I am currently looking at a auto too, so I could drive in the city more.

ps i know you can drive a manual in a city, but imo it gets rediculous in a hilly stop go thing to say the least.

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (Should be the new daily driver)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina" Still the daily driver)
1997 NSX "Nina"
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
The automatic upshifts at around 7200-7400 rpm. That is not too soon.

At WOT in a straight line, that's correct. Try pulling out from a stop sign at a corner, and the car will shift to 2nd about half way around the corner - the MR-2 held first. The Eclipse shifted into 2nd so I put it in manual mode and held first until I was going straight...

hi there... just my .02 but why buy this kind of car with an automatic??? I dont mean that as any offense to someone that has one but I know from experience with my prelude that every time i get in it I wish like hell it was a stick.

Traffic or not, I'd want manual. And I'd pay more for it.

Originally posted by sexytoy:
hi there... just my .02 but why buy this kind of car with an automatic???

One of the mainstream car magazines (I forgot which one), did a survey on automatic NSX owners and it revealed that most of them bought the car for the prestige factor and not for performance.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

When you guys are talking about the upshifts, are you referring to the conventional automatic or the NSX with the sportshift automatic? Are they any different when u have it in "D"?

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

Originally posted by sexytoy:
hi there... just my .02 but why buy this kind of car with an automatic??? I dont mean that as any offense to someone that has one but I know from experience with my prelude that every time i get in it I wish like hell it was a stick.

Traffic or not, I'd want manual. And I'd pay more for it.

Well, for me I used to be into acceleration more than road handling (even in my MR-2) and the automatic makes it easy to not shift... most people can't make that 1-2 faster than even an average automatic like the NSX.

I got an NSX because it was the best sports car made when it came out - and I could afford it.

I got an automatic because I don't drive a manual - but the NSX has tempted me to learn! (Of course, then I would have had to add in clutch costs... and it seems like the Ferrari F1 system likes clutches, too.)

Plus as a computer guy I think all that manual stuff is just a little too old fashioned. :-)

Originally posted by RyRy210:
When you guys are talking about the upshifts, are you referring to the conventional automatic or the NSX with the sportshift automatic? Are they any different when u have it in "D"?

I was talking conventional - I have a pre-sportshift automatic.

One thing I noticed is the engine braking if I shift manually - even if I have the brakes on. I was surprised the automatic didn't clutch/go into neutral when the brake pedal is pressed - my other cars seemed to...

I guess I'm just a little "old fashioned" when it comes to a sports car... I don't even think "automatic" in relation to this car.

Yeah I can see getting it for the prestige thing. I wouldn't be one of them though... I'd be getting it because a) it's just damn beautiful b) fun to drive c) I like unique cars (don't want to see myself coming and going at every corner).

This won't be a daily driver for me. I have three cars right now and even my prelude sits in the garage. Automatic that it is =( I beat myself all the time over not taking more time to look for a stick even with THAT car... I won't do the same thing with a NSX no matter how much I want one!! =)

Back