Make a difference, extend the NSX legacy

NSX owners and fans,

This is a time for some of us to give a little something back in the interest of extending the NSX legacy. With the uncertainty behind the future of the mid-engine NSX program, this is the time to make you opinions count to the one that matters. I am asking many of you to write in to Honda executives and ask them to bring out a true mid-engine NSX successor. As owners, fans, and a community, we can make a difference. Our voices need to be heard, not only thru polls and numbers, but thru the words of owners and prospective owners. To do nothing is to accept that a FR platform is the NSX successor. Acura is looking for your feedback hence they are doing a survey on their Web site on the ASCC.

For the doubters that feel that our opinions does not matter, it does. Know that the 1990s Ford Mustang would have become the Ford Probe if Mustang owners did not speak up. BMW E46 M3 owners finally got their high tune European engine because owners bonded together and spoke up to BMW. Mercedes G500 would have been discontinued by now in the US if owners did not speak up and let the manufacturer know. If extending the mid-engine NSX legacy matters to you, this is your time.

The Message:

To make significant impact, it is important we write a consistent message to Honda. That consistent message is for Honda to bring out a true mid-engine NSX successor. The message is not about bashing the ASCC or the FR sports car program. After all, the ASCC can co-exist as long as there is a true mid-engine NSX successor.

Method: The following are a few guidelines for writing to Senior Executives at Honda:

1. Get educated before you write. At a minimum, know Honda’s heritage, know Soichiro's dream behind the NSX, and listen to Fukui’s speech at the 2007 Detroit Auto show linked here. http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=649012
  2. Be specific with your requests but do not outline a long list of must have. For example, summarize your desired drivetrain layout, type of engine, and how much you are willing to pay.
  3. Be realistic. Do not ask for a 800 Hp Ferrari Enzo beater for $200K. Honda is not in the ultimate horsepower game nor are they in a position to sell a $200K car.
  4. Be constructive with your criticisms and explain why you believe Honda should bring out a true mid-engine NSX successor.
  5. Be concise, direct, and above all, professional. Know that you are writing to an executive and know that your letter will be pre-read by a PR person before it gets to the executive’s hands. Likely, only a select few well written letters will be read by the executives, the rest may be summarized by a PR person for the executive.
  6. A suggested format is 3 paragraphs, all contained within one page. 1st paragraph: Why are you writing and who are you. 2nd paragraph: Provide details of what/why you are writing. Explain why Honda should re-consider their decision. Provide supporting information, your viewpoint, or show poll data on vtec.net or from NSXprime. 3rd paragraph: Summarize next steps for yourself or Honda: Kindly ask Honda to reconsider this proposal, make yourself or your group available if Honda wants to follow up.
  7. Be focused. Remember the consistent message we want to deliver is for Honda to bring out a true mid-engine successor. Do not get side tracked bashing the ASCC.

I hope many of you can write in, with you own words, sharing your experiences, passions, and dreams. Collectively, we can make an impact. Be positive and know that your efforts will at least make Honda re-consider their decision. Do it so we can extend our love affair with the next generation NSX. Do it for Soichiro Honda's dream to live on. And do it for the NSX legacy to pass on to your children.

Mailing addresses:

Mr. Takeo Fukui, Honda President & CEO
2-1-1, Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8556 Japan

Mr. Yoshihide Munekuni, Honda Chairman
2-1-1, Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8556 Japan

Mr. Dick Colliver - Executive Vice President of American Honda
1919 Torrance Blvd, Torrance, CA 90501

Mr. John Mendel - Senior Vice President of American Honda.
1919 Torrance Blvd, Torrance, CA 90501

Mr. Hirohide Ikeno, President of Honda R&D Americas
Honda R&D of the Americas Inc.
1900 Harpers Way, Torrence, Ca. 90501

great post and idea....even if some of you would just call your local Honda/Acura dealers manager and let them know how you feel about what the next NSX should be like and how upset you are that there is no real replacement for your current car...Maybe the message will be heard by the higher ups, after all the dealers are the ones who will be selling to you in the future...

It's not a bad idea, but I just don't think it will work in all honesty. The Honda execs are fully aware that there are a handful of rabid NSX enthusiasts around the world that want another NSX. They may change their minds about the ASCC given its uninspiring reviews, but fan mail won't impact major business decisions. Unless maybe a couple thousand of us enclose checks up front for $100k.

Good luck with your plan. I am always glad to see people taking an initiative.

Hope it isn't too successful though. I don't think I will be getting the next Honda sports car, and I think the AASC design will keep current NSX values higher (than if they had an HSC with V10 design).

Either way, if you don't like the AASC, just look to the LFA.

It's not a bad idea, but I just don't think it will work in all honesty. The Honda execs are fully aware that there are a handful of rabid NSX enthusiasts around the world that want another NSX. They may change their minds about the ASCC given its uninspiring reviews, but fan mail won't impact major business decisions. Unless maybe a couple thousand of us enclose checks up front for $100k.

Are you saying that Honda does not care what NSX owners think about the ASCC? If so, read below and tell me if you still think that.

By now I hope Honda realized they missed the mark on the ASCC based on initial feedback. There is a reason they drew lineage from the NSX when showing the ASCC. They know that new buyers of NSX has the $$ and the interest in buying another expensive Acura “Sports Car”. Where Honda missed the mark was they didn’t realize how devoted the NSX group is to the mid-engine lightweight formula.

Keep in mind that many NSXs on the road has been sold and re-sold mulitiple times. Look at all the NSXs on the used car market. The majority of them have at least 3 previous owners. So, if there were 15,000 NSXs sold, there have been at least 30,000 different owners. That means there are 30,000 prospective buyers. Granted not all used car buyers are new car buyers. But keep in mind that many used car buyers from 10 years ago are likely in a more stable financial situation hence they have the luxury of becoming a new car NSX buyers. For that, Honda better listen to what current and past NSX owners think about their next sports car. In addition if Honda delivers unparallel sports car like performance much like they did in 1991, you bet there will be Porsche and Ferrari buyers changing camps.

For argument sake, perhaps Honda was targetting other Honda/Acura owners with this ASCC. Well, according to a poll with over 2000 responses on Vtec.net, over 80% want mid-engine. So it looks like Honda missed the mark again if they were targetting Honda/Acura buyers.

So that leaves us with Honda targetting buyers from other marques. To do that, Honda would have to deliver quite a smashing car with Ferrari good looks, outstanding technology, and performance, at a price less than the competition. This is what the NSX accomplished back in 1991. Judging from the initial feedback on the ASCC, Honda’s got their work cut out for them. Hence we are back to the point that this is an opportunity to have Honda re-consider their decision and the need to bring out a true mid-engine successor.

Write it your letter folks, even if the only thing you have to say is “The ASCC sucks monkey balls” :smile:

Haha, well I would never write "sucks monkeyballs" in a business letter. But on the internet where no one will see it, that's ok. :wink: I jest.

I agree on pretty much everything you wrote, except that personal letters will influence these kinds of business decisions. Fact is, if their management can be influenced by a bunch of anonymous NSX tear-jerkers, they're even more off track than I thought.

BTW - as an 05 owner - I'm the guy from whom they should be soliciting feedback. Haven't checked the mail today yet, but I highly doubt there's questionaire from Honda in it. Probably should be though.

The people Honda should be targeting are those that bought 91-93 NSXs, NEW. Those guys probably have a lot more money now, except Ken :wink: , and are likely NSX enthusiasts even if they haven't owned one for years.

I agree on pretty much everything you wrote, except that personal letters will influence these kinds of business decisions. Fact is, if their management can be influenced by a bunch of anonymous NSX tear-jerkers, they're even more off track than I thought.

We'll never know what influence our letters will do. But is cannot hurt and this is not much different than writing your politicans as it provides feedback to the decision makers. Afterall, this is how we can positively channel our energy. It has worked for Ford Mustang, BMW M3, and Mercedes G500 customers, why not Honda.

On the other hand, you never know what Honda is cooking up. Maybe they are a few steps ahead of us. A few months before the Detroit show, I read on some publications and some posts here that there were both FR and MR mules running around in Japan. I hope there is some truth to this.

This sounds pompous. I don't see how your feedback, because you purchased the last year model, is any more important than any other owners feedback.

IIRC Ski_Banker bought the car new, as such perhaps that's what he was referring to in his post.

In general auto makers themselves care more about new car buyers, auto dealers on the other hand care more about servicing the vehicles than just pure sales given that the profit potential for service can be equal or even more than the profit they make when they sell a car (new or used).

So there might be some method to the madness of Ski_Banker's comments :p

Ski_Banker said:
BTW - as an 05 owner - I'm the guy from whom they should be soliciting feedback. Haven't checked the mail today yet, but I highly doubt there's questionaire from Honda in it. Probably should be though.

The people Honda should be targeting are those that bought 91-93 NSXs, NEW. Those guys probably have a lot more money now, except Ken , and are likely NSX enthusiasts even if they haven't owned one for years.

This sounds pompous. I don't see how your feedback, because you purchased the last year model, is any more important than any other owners feedback.

Because I'm the guy that spent $90 grand on an "outdated, underperforming, sportscar relic" instead of buying a Porsche like the other 99%.

Call me pompous if you like, but I can afford the new ASCC unlike (and no offense intended, at all) someone buying a 91 for $30k.

Honda needs to impress its potential $100k supercar customers - of which I am one. Marketing 101 buddy.

Because I'm the guy that spent $90 grand on an "outdated, underperforming, sportscar relic" instead of buying a Porsche like the other 99%.

Call me pompous if you like, but I can afford the new ASCC unlike (and no offense intended, at all) someone buying a 91 for $30k.

Honda needs to impress its potential $100k supercar customers - of which I am one. Marketing 101 buddy.

There are some people who could afford to spend $90k for a new NSX, but chose to spend ~$30k for essentially the same car. :wink:

Ive met Dick Culliver on several occasions, but he's very tight lipped and Im not sure if US division has that much imput on this project.

Without just this kind of letter-writing campaign, orchestrated by the BMW CCA, the US would never have received the E36 M3.

Wow. What's your secret? How can I be down like you? I mean, I bought a used NSX and I only have five cars and only a 4,000sqft house. What must I do to be able to afford a $90K car? Please enlighten us.....

Really? Marketing 101? You might want to take a refresher course. In that course you will learn that marketing departments at automakers use net worth, not MSRP as a target marketing tool for high cost products. Once the target market is determined, then the MSRP comes into play - "how much are these high end buyers willing to pay for X".

Last edited:
Wow. What's your secret? How can I be down like you? I mean, I bought a used NSX and I only have five cars and only a 4,000sqft house. What must I do to be able to afford a $90K car? Please enlighten us.....

Really? Marketing 101? You might want to take a refresher course.

If you're going to be a prick, then so will I... :mad:

The single best source of data - for Honda - will be from existing NSX customers that they KNOW can afford a new one. Honda doesn't know about your McMansion or your four other cars. But they do know who purchased new NSXs, and the opinions of those people on a replacement NSX are more important than the opinions of people that can't afford the car anyway.

You must've been a lottery winner or trust funder, because your business acumen is suspect.

Without just this kind of letter-writing campaign, orchestrated by the BMW CCA, the US would never have received the E36 M3.

In comparison, that is an inexpensive car with a mass audience. Also, the decision to import an already-manufactured vehicle is much easier than the decision to design & build a $120k limited production supercar for a questionable customer base. So, yeah, I can see how letters would work for that. But not for a major business decision. They know what NSX owners want anyway - they've been hearing it for years. I do hope they change their minds though.

If you're going to be a prick, then so will I... :mad:

The single best source of data - for Honda - will be from existing NSX customers that they KNOW can afford a new one. Honda doesn't know about your McMansion or your four other cars. But they do know who purchased new NSXs, and the opinions of those people on a replacement NSX are more important than the opinions of people that can't afford the car anyway.

You must've been a lottery winner or trust funder, because your business acumen is suspect.

Hey, you said "call me pompus if you like". That's exaxtly what I did, so don't get your undies in a bunch over someting you invited.

Based on your "marketing knowledge", where do you think Honda got market research data BEFORE the NSX existed - from existing NSX owners? The cost of the NSX doesn't change why someone would buy the car (it only determines IF someone would buy that car) - that's Consumer Behaviour - yet another Marketing class. And, of course Honda knows about my other cars (since I have two other Honda products) and my house (since that sale was recorded at the County Assesors office) - that's another class - Marketing Research.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but if you are going to be pompus and are proud of it, at least know what you are talking about with regard to Marketing tactics.

Sorry for the off topic...

Last edited:
Based on your "marketing knowledge", where do you think Honda got market research data BEFORE the NSX existed - from existing NSX owners? Try Marketing 101 again.

Good call. I guess then they should just ignore the "existing NSX owners that we know are capable of affording a new ASC" data points. Do it just like they did in 1988, without the benefit of 16 years of potential data. Great idea.

This is petty. I'm done arguing with you.

Good call. I guess then they should just ignore the "existing NSX owners that we know are capable of affording a new ASC" data points. Do it just like they did in 1988, without the benefit of 16 years of potential data. Great idea.

This is petty. I'm done arguing with you.

No, Honda should not ignore the new owner data. It would be foolish to ignore that data, just as it would be foolish to only rely on that data as the "single best source" (as you suggested).

I'm glad we are done. Now it's time for some breakfast - maybe I'll be in a better mood this afternoon.

Last edited:
In comparison, that is an inexpensive car with a mass audience. Also, the decision to import an already-manufactured vehicle is much easier than the decision to design & build a $120k limited production supercar for a questionable customer base. So, yeah, I can see how letters would work for that. But not for a major business decision. They know what NSX owners want anyway - they've been hearing it for years. I do hope they change their minds though.

I don't recall having stated it was a perfect comparison. Your conversational style is more adversarial than is warranted by the subject matter.

Perhaps. And I apologize if I came off that way. :wink:

We all want the same thing here anyway... :smile:

No worries.

Forum dynamics can be an interesting study in human nature and group dynamics. They also illustrate the difficulty with the written word and the lack of voice inflection or body language or other contextual clues as to intention, sarcasm, etc. (Hence the smilies :wink: )

500hp HSC for $100k=my check in the mail.

Back