'm buying a type-r

IMHO,

Owning one vs driving one are 2 different things.

If the OP intends to drive the NSX-R, or do any kind of mods on the car, the car's value will likely depreciate regardless of the history or uniquiness of the car.

If it is stored "maybe" it will retain it's value.

In the end the original Honda NSX-R prototype that was shown in Tokyo is probably worth more than the NSX-R that is in the UK, so it's all relative :cool:

It's all about Hype, and what a collector would be willing to pay for the car.. :D

Absolutely. This isn't a car I'd want to be driving much if at all and certainly not modding in any way. Of course driving and/or modding it will only diminish its value. This car is essentially a collector's item and museum piece.

Yes, the original Type-R prototype is a pretty special NSX as well but I'm sure that's in some Honda museum somewhere and might never enter private hands. This UK NSX is unique for several other reasons and is certainly right up there in terms of collectibility--maybe the most collectible, as I said.

I can't think of more than a few NSXs that could be as special and those may never see the light of day or be documented.

The bottom line is that this definitely isn't a car I'd plan on driving. If the OP wants a Type-R to drive building one is really the best option and it's fairly easy to get any NSX faster than a Type-R.

Last edited:
See above as to why this is a no brainer:biggrin:

Seen it, sat in it, noted all the things that need doing ... £100k is way too much for that car. Note also that some of the magic will have gone by now. For example, when the clutch was swapped out after all the press guys had played with it, all that TLC from hand balancing the drivetrain will have gone.

Also, with so few built, if you bend it you are likely to have 'standard' NSX parts used in any repair.

It may be the only one known to be in the UK, but then people think there are only 2 NA1 versions .....

Personally, I would keep your fully restored OEM 91 as OEM, then pick up a good early 02 and convert it to your liking. Worst case you'd be into a £60k and have an NSX that would leave the R and yet still be able to hear yourself think above 3k rpm

regards,

Seen it, sat in it, noted all the things that need doing ... £100k is way too much for that car. Note also that some of the magic will have gone by now. For example, when the clutch was swapped out after all the press guys had played with it, all that TLC from hand balancing the drivetrain will have gone.

Also, with so few built, if you bend it you are likely to have 'standard' NSX parts used in any repair.

It may be the only one known to be in the UK, but then people think there are only 2 NA1 versions .....

Personally, I would keep your fully restored OEM 91 as OEM, then pick up a good early 02 and convert it to your liking. Worst case you'd be into a £60k and have an NSX that would leave the R and yet still be able to hear yourself think above 3k rpm

regards,

I think you're spot on.:biggrin:

Not to state the obvious, but the only thing that matters is -- what is the car worth to YOU?

If you're just looking for the most performance, or a good bang-for-the-pound value, then the NSX-R is not a good choice at 100k GBP. If you are a lifelong NSX fan as you say, and plan to enjoy it as weekend toy and museum piece, then why not? Someday, it will be worth a hell of a lot of money (if cared for and not driven much) and you can enjoy owning it in the meantime too.

I say go for it if you have the means. :smile:

Re: da' real dealio...

If it's what I think it is, then it is/was an 100.000% genuine/original/unadulterated '02+ NSX-R,

... and even more: www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=626

It definitely isn't unmolested anymore. I looked through the pictures in the link you posted above and found this picture:

9414CIMG1447.jpg

......which in my opinion (age) doesn't detract from the value of the car at all. Although even I wouldn't feel right changing anything on that car.

Re: da' real dealio...

What are we looking at there? I see what looks like an aftermarket amp fuse.

It definitely isn't unmolested anymore. I looked through the pictures in the link you posted above and found this picture:

9414CIMG1447.jpg

If you have the money to get this in addition to your current NSX then go for it.

Its like the Ferrari 360CS, its not the fastest or baddest car out there but I still want to own one....same with the NSX-R......I'd keep the NSX-R stock if anything at most exhaust and suspension.

Good luck....if you get it then great for you.

Back