'm buying a type-r

I'm at serious consideration stage.

Want opinions- the car we all revere so so highly- the 02 type-r, was described bu evo as being secondary to the then new (now old) GT3.

They said that it was so much faster and more exciting than the nsx.

Do we idolise this car because it is so rare?

Should I buy one over a diablo, R8, GTR, sending my 91 to SOS for major work etc etc.

Could I have opinions from you all? Please nothing about importing or costs.

Just driving and WHY? and WHY NOTS?

I am a lifetime nsx fan (i'm 32) and i just don't know if its a step too far for what you get and its time to move on to something bigger and faster.

I have heard from owners that it is such an evolution from the original car it feels like something altogether different and better in everyway.

Many thanks

Jamie

You can buy a DIY NSX-R clone, buy the Spoon clone, or just ctsc a regular NSX and whip them both.

Its the only uk registered one that exists.

Its expensive, but i was wondering whether it is worth it or not.

I am based in Belfast and already have a fully restored 91 manual

Jamie

Hi,

what i can say is that if i could afford it, i'd be all over it :wink: but to keep it 100% OEM.... it's enough to mod the normal ones, a NSX-R HAVE to be left as it was made, JMO.

Nuno

Jamie

If you are looking for a car that you can have fun with on a track, you may be dissappointed by a Diablo (depending on the year/sub-model). The owners I have spoken with say that they are a bit unwieldy.

I think you will have a hard time finding someone that will be able to give you a 1st hand (read "not an arm-chair racer/gran turismo expert") driving impression comparison between a Type R and anything else just because so few people have ever seen one let-alone driven one.

From a non-driving standpoint, a Type R will certainly be more exclusive than a Porsche, but won't turn as many heads as a Diablo. It won't be as quick on a track as the GTR, and it lacks (deliberately) the creature comforts of all of the above. It is arguably the most focused production car ever built in Japan (Nissan R390 does not count, they only made like 5 road cars).

Between the cars you listed though, and considering how I would use it, it would always be between the GT3 and the Type R (if money & exclusivity had nothing to do with it). The others are too big, too fiddly, or too compromised imho.

Turbocharge your NSX, JRZ suspension, Brembo GT BBK, and call it a day.

I am not exactly sure what you want.

Do you just want to have a very fast car (or NSX) which is at more or less the same level as a GT3?
Or do you want to have a unique car?

If you 'just' want to have the first, you can modify your current NSX to be the equal of a Type-R (or even better). The NSX-R is undoubtedly a very unique car but it is NOT on such a high level that its performance cannot be duplicated. Like some others said, you can add a lot to a standard NSX to get at the same level.

If you just want to have a NSX-R then go ahead and just buy one. But if you do, keep it as it is otherwise the uniqueness is quickly gone IMHO.

Jamie

In terms of performance it's absolutely not worth it.

It's going to cost upwards of $100k for the car and at least another $20k to import it not to mention the nightmares associated with that kind of endeavor.

No one I'm aware of has even seriously attempted it. I'm aware of some who have seriously looked into it but not actually written any checks to get the ball rolling. The extraordinary hassle involved has insured only a true masochist would ever pursue it.

You can easily build a Type-R replica for far less that will in all likelihood be faster than a real Type-R. There's abosultely no point to having a Type-R that's modified since its no longer a Type-R and therefore completely pointless.

Unless of course you just want a real Type-R for the collectible nature of it in which case throw value out the window.

I think the OP lives in the UK and is looking at a car already in/registered in the UK, so import costs may not be an issue for him.

I agree though that whether it is worth it or not depends on what the OP wants to get out of the car. If he wants to own a piece of NSX lore, and have fun at the track, then definately pick it up. If he is focused on lap times per-dollar-spent, there are better ways to spend that kind of money including thorough modifications of his existing car.

I think the OP lives in the UK and is looking at a car already in/registered in the UK, so import costs may not be an issue for him.

I agree though that whether it is worth it or not depends on what the OP wants to get out of the car. If he wants to own a piece of NSX lore, and have fun at the track, then definately pick it up. If he is focused on lap times per-dollar-spent, there are better ways to spend that kind of money including thorough modifications of his existing car.

Ah, you're right. I got thrown off, thought he said only found the one in the UK. Missed the based in Belfast part.

Still, even at upwards of $100K it's a poor value performance-wise. Give me $100k and I'll get you one hell of a fast 2005 NSX.

Collectible-wise, I'd love to own one.

For the original OP...

Please help me understand how this type-r happened to show up in the UK.

I lived in the UK for a number of years and owned a NSX while living there. As I was told, there were only 300 NSX's in the entire UK. I lived in Scotland and there were only 13 in that country. I purchased mine in England and then had it transported to Scotland. I would assume there are not too many in Ireland as well. Perhaps around the same number as Scotland?

When I was leaving the UK I put my NSX up for sale and thought it would never find a buyer. To my surprise, my ad in the Sunday London Times solicited a fantastic number of calls per day. People would call and tell me they would fly up the next day, pay cash and drive my car away.

I sold the car to a chap who came up, looked at the car and offered to buy it on the spot. I asked if he would like to drive it, and he said no. I asked if he would like to take a drive in it in and he agreed. After our drive, he counted out the cash to purchase the vehicle.

Even after the sale, for days afterwards, I was bombarded with calls to negate the sale for higher prices which I wouldn't do.

I sold my car for less than $500 of my purchase price after driving it for a few years.

I guess my question is, how do you have the option of "thinking" about purchasing a Type-R when these types of vehicles are so rare and the demand for a regular NSX is very high?

I would think that the only Type-R NSX in the UK would be snapped up very quickly. What am I missing?

da' real dealio...

Please help me understand how this type-r happened to show up in the UK...
If it's what I think it is, then it is/was an 100.000% genuine/original/unadulterated '02+ NSX-R, which was formerly a press-car for a very short duration (perhaps even the actual exact EVO magazine "Car of the Year", as the winner was an NSX-R that they tested). . .

At the time, the NSX-R was going to be offered in the U.K. (legally & fully licensed/registered w/ MOT), but this later changed & Honda acquired this particular model back (from the press).

A well-heeled individual, as well as being an automotive enthusiast, stepped-up & made Honda an offer they apparently couldn't refuse. Honda offered to sale him the model w/ a very limited warranty & minimal future claims/ties w/ Honda (or so I recall as-per the convo' I had w/ the owner). This new-owner of the model has held onto it since, but he has always maintained the stance that it's for-sale for the right-price if/when such an offer was ever made by a prospective party.

I spent a day w/ this NSX-R years ago (along w/ the owner). This particular model feels, sounds, and drives like no other NSX that I've been around. I'd like to think I know a lil' something-something about NSX'es as-per comparo's.

The presumable actual NSX-R in-question by the O.P.:

... and even moarrr: www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=626

The original/present owner goes by fuzilov @ www.nsxcb.co.uk.

Interesting thread from last year: "Nsx-r Stolen Look Out....................."

Last edited:
Re: da' real dealio...

If it's what I think it is, then it is/was an 100.000% genuine/original/unadulterated '02+ NSX-R, which was formerly a press-car for a very short duration (perhaps even the actual exact EVO magazine "Car of the Year", as the winner was an NSX-R that they tested). . .

At the time, the NSX-R was going to be offered in the U.K. (legally & fully licensed/registered w/ MOT), but this later changed & Honda acquired this particular model back (from the press).

A well-heeled individual, as well as being an automotive enthusiast, stepped-up & made Honda an offer they apparently couldn't refuse. Honda offered to sale him the model w/ a very limited warranty & minimal future claims/ties w/ Honda (or so I recall as-per the convo' I had w/ the owner). This new-owner of the model has held onto it since, but he has always maintained the stance that it's for-sale for the right-price if/when such an offer was ever made by a prospective party.

I spent a day w/ this NSX-R years ago (along w/ the owner). This particular model feels, sounds, and drives like no other NSX that I've been around. I'd like to think I know a lil' something-something about NSX'es as-per comparo's.

The presumable actual NSX-R in-question by the O.P.:

... and even moarrr: www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=626

The original/present owner goes by fuzilov @ www.nsxcb.co.uk.

Interesting thread from last year: "Nsx-r Stolen Look Out....................."

Cool. Thanks for explaining the mystery. Interesting story about how such a rare vehicle got there.

Re: da' real dealio...

...new-owner of the model has held onto it since, but he has always maintained the stance that it's for-sale for the right-price if/when such an offer was ever made by a prospective party.
[/URL]

+1 on FS in the UK (if it is indeed the one being considered)

On pg 86 of Feb 09 issue of Performance Car, NSX-R with plates N5 XRR listed as "For Sale" including contact info in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
...prob £100k or so
jamie

FYI - the article states, "...folklore has it that Honda UK was all set to bring in the Japanese-spec Type-R NSX to these shores on the back of Jenson Button's F1-programme back in 2004. It was serious enough to put a car through type approval, allegedly paying in excess of £100,000 for the privilege. But when Jenson looked like he was about to go back to Williams to honour his contract the project was canned, leaving just the car you see here."

so...

Only-one-of-its-kind-on-shore TYPE-R NSX 2004 - ≈£100,000

Only-one-of-its-kind-on-shore TYPE-R NSX 2009 - ≈£100,000

btw - mag also stated:
PRICE >> £70,000 (2004)
Price Today>> You guess is as good as ours

My guess...£100,000 is not near enough for all that it is (registered, only one of its kind, etc.)

how did it feel so different from regular nsx?

The writers of the article perhaps betray which one of these mid-engined icons they favored most by placing her front and center on this particular issue. It's either that or a 1 in 9 chance of just "landing" there or let alone the fact that it's uniquely rare compared to all of the other cars they featured. But they do offer this as far as the ride goes:

"Lower, harder and lighter than the regular NSX"

"Even at normal speeds there's something deeply special about this blueprinted drivetrain, the six-speed titanium topped gearlever clicking into place with no-nonsense precision, six naturally aspirated cylinders humming away behind you."

"...the NSX-R plays the long game, winding on revs in stages, getting better and better, a bit more soulful and exponentially more delightful in sound, character and brutality with each and every rev..."

and finally...

"...in the Type-R, you have time to savour the accelerative sensations, the change in growl, pitch and volume that culminates in a mellifluous top end. As the change up lights blink to signal that all "276" bhp have joined the party it's properly, addictively glorious (author is willing to wager this car has more than 300bhp). The NSX-R had quite a reputation to live up to, but it takes just one trip around the rev counter to know the legend is justified."

If you have to think about it you shouldn't do it. If given all the same options there wouldn't be a consideration in my mind. You have access to something few people in English speaking countries actually do. All the other cars you mentioned can be bought by anyone with enough money in the US and UK.

btw - mag also stated:
PRICE >> £70,000 (2004)
Price Today>> You guess is as good as ours

My guess...£100,000 is not near enough for all that it is (registered, only one of its kind, etc.)

I would have to agree.

It seems to me this NSX is a very special NSX with a very interesting history. If I could afford it I would personally pay well over $100,000 for it myself so I can imagine this car being sold for much more than that. I see no reason this particular NSX couldn't sell for $150k+ to the right buyer.

I would venture to say that there are very few, if any, NSXs that are more special than this one. A Type-R alone is extremely special let alone a Type-R with a documented history and unique story legally registered outside of Japan.

Indeed, outside of owning either Senna's, Zanardi's or Button's personal NSX or maybe a 02+ coupe with a one-off color combo custom made for some celebrity (and documented) this may be the most interesting & unique NSX in the world...

Last edited:
IMHO,

Owning one vs driving one are 2 different things.

If the OP intends to drive the NSX-R, or do any kind of mods on the car, the car's value will likely depreciate regardless of the history or uniquiness of the car.

If it is stored "maybe" it will retain it's value.

In the end the original Honda NSX-R prototype that was shown in Tokyo is probably worth more than the NSX-R that is in the UK, so it's all relative :cool:

It's all about Hype, and what a collector would be willing to pay for the car.. :D

Back