Luxury Car Help

I am considering buying a 2002 Audi S8 with 20k miles to use for work. I have owned several luxury cars over the years, but don't have any experience with Audi. Does anyone have any specific impressions about this car? I like how it is understated (I get the attention via the NSX :) ), plus it is completely loaded and has 360 hp and quattro all wheel drive. Audi interiors are hard to beat too...

Thanks for any insights.

Todd

The Audi A-8 is a great car but like all high end luxury cars they can be problematic and depreciate fast. If I remember correctly there is not much difference between the 2000-2003 A-8. If I were going to buy I would look for a good low mileage 2000-2001 because the A-8 seems to depreciate very quickly. I would use the savings to purchase a longer extended warranty.
Other cars you may want to consider the BMW 7 series although it will be more, the BMW will hold its value better than a Audi. On the Opposite end of the depreciation argument, and a car I would consider, the Jaguar XJR. Super nice high end car that loses about 3/4's of its value in the first couple of years. Mercedes S class use to be great cars but Mercedes build quality is not what it used to be IMO.

Thanks steveny - I had a 740iL already, and was extremely disappointed in the reliability and maintenance, much less the crappy dealer service. It's a shame, because I would strongly consider an M5, but I'm gun shy based on the 740.

My neighbor had an XJR, and he had a ton of maintenance issues also, and traded for a MB S430.

The best car I've owned yet was an older style Lexus GS300 - I loved the styling and had a great ownership experience, but the new GS doesn't do much for me (although I like the pics of the next gen).

I'd like a car that is fast, stylish, comfy, and reliable, and that doesn't seem "old fogey". I also would like to try new marques, as I've already owned a TL-S, G35, 740iL, S80, GS300, and an old 220D.

What about the new Caddy CTS-V? 400hp?!? Never thought I would even think about a Caddy for myself - maybe the Art & Function campaign is working.

Any suggestions are welcome, as I am open to your experiences with certain high end cars.

Thanks!

:) :) :)

You've owned a GS300 and the 740il maybe it's time drive the LS430. You need to test drive one - if you havent. I only have had positive experience owning a Lexus. The customer service is just superb.

:D

Good luck on you rsearch.

LS 430 seems more appropriate for someone more "mature" than me - I'm in my early 30s, and while I think that car is very nice, it's not quite sporty enough for me. I do agree with your assessment of the customer service at Lexus - second to none.

I considered the Q45, but Infiniti still has a lot to prove come resale time. They have not held their value very well at all. Their dealerships have definitely stepped up to the plate as far as customer service, though. Maybe a lease would be more "safe" with the residual.

The M45 has a lot of what I like, except I think the styling is too bland. They are already going to replace that car anyway, so the current one should get butchered in value. I would favor the Q over the M, or maybe even look at the FX45 as a different choice altogether.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I don't mean to shoot them down - I just find myself very picky and feel like I've done enough homework to at least have an opinion on most of the luxury cars mentioned so far. Keep the ideas coming!

I think the 740 il like the v12 750 il has a mature appeal. I'm surprised you like it. :confused:

Todd,
I broker high end cars of all types, but I mainly deal in Audis, so I can say with good knowledge, Audi is an excellent overall brand to buy. I think out of all the large sized luxury cars available in the used car market today, the A8 is my favorite. I may have become a little biases towards them as we supply dealers across the country with Audis now and they represent 3/4 of our total sales for the year ... but I have also had the least amount of problems with customers regarding Audis they have bought compared to other similar cars like MB and BMW. Out of all the 260 or so Audis we have sold this year, the only ones that did have any real issues were A6 2.7 / 2.8 model cars. The A6 4.2 is a beast, and that is what I drive when we have one in stock.
Concerning the S8, I agree with the point steveny makes regarding finding a well priced 01 model and purchase an extended warranty. I have sold 6 of them to private owners this year and 5 still own them and love their cars... 1 sold his for a profit and purchased an RS6 from us a month ago. They are great driving cars, they handle well in all weather, the room and comfort is nearly un-matched in their category aside from the LS430, and the S models are incredible performers not only in their 360-horsepower engine, but also in the Brembro brakes and moderately stiffer suspension ... these cars definitely outperform other luxury sedans like the S55. I also personally love the S accents on the car that very make it look muscular and sporty. I think their build quality is great, service is solid at most dealers, and they are very nice cars in every aspect...

-are you sure you want to buy another all aluminum vehicle. The S8/A8 is an awesome luxury performance sedan. However, according to CR it has avg reliability. Sure, dealer experience might be better, but u may have to make a few trips every year for electronic glitches.

-nice collectin of cars btw.

Hello,

I also had a 740 w/ sports package, and I have to say that I was truly impressed with my friend's S8. It seemed much more reliable than my 740 which made freqent visits to the dealer due to numerous electrical problems. The feel of initial torque (seat of pants feel) can be felt more in 740 only because of its rear wheel drive, but head to head acceleration, S8 will easily outpace 740. The quattro system is amazing in winter (I am in New England). My friend's S8 w/ 30k miles has been rock solid without many problems.
S8 has probably gotten initial big depriciation already that it really is a great buy. It is also very rare compared to 740 or S class Merc.

If you want serious opinions. please check http://www.audiworld.com/forum/a8.html
They have some great S8 owners who even track their S8!!

I don't like Audi's for the same reason I don't like any German car - they are overdesigned and not manufactured as well as Japanese cars. I have a friend who works as an Audi mechanic who says there have been big problems with the A8 electronics, similar to the new 7-series BMW's.

I was in a similar quandry to you and looked at cars for a year. I drove the Audi S4 but was not impressed, and wound up in an Infinity G35 Coupe. I've had it two months and I'm satisfied. It is not one of the world's best cars like the NSX, but it is a fast, competent driver and IMO a beautiful design. The two red and black coupes look great side by side in my garage.

It is sad to hear that this kind of comment because i feel that the older version of 7 series is cute and nice. I wanted to have one since i just got my first pair of eye glasses. this way i can fit in the mature look :D. I can't say anything about the quality of the car because i never own one. but Creveir BMW are great when it comes to customer service. anyone else received this kind of qualities in the 7?

LeftLane said:
Thanks steveny - I had a 740iL already, and was extremely disappointed in the reliability and maintenance, much less the crappy dealer service.

:) :) :)

PoohBEAR said:
It is sad to hear that this kind of comment because i feel that the older version of 7 series is cute and nice. I wanted to have one since i just got my first pair of eye glasses. this way i can fit in the mature look :D. I can't say anything about the quality of the car because i never own one. but Creveir BMW are great when it comes to customer service. anyone else received this kind of qualities in the 7?

Hi, PoohBear,

I purchased my 740 brand new, and owned it for little more than 4 yrs. When everything works, it's beautiful. However, you constantly worry when something will fail the next time. I was stranded "in" my car (the car locked me inside - electrical failure that would not unlock the doors), the transmission gear was stuck in the 3rd.. the car gave me both happiness and agony.

LeftLane said:

What about the new Caddy CTS-V? 400hp?!? Never thought I would even think about a Caddy for myself - maybe the Art & Function campaign is working.

Any suggestions are welcome, as I am open to your experiences with certain high end cars.

Thanks!

I had a 2000 STS for about 8 months. Great car for what I paid (bought it at a dealer auction). I traded the STS for the NSX. Best trade I made, NSX still worth most of what I got for the trade. STS worth less than half that amount.

I am not surprised that you were unhappy with the 740il. I doubt that you would have the same experience with the 745. I am surprised that you were unhappy with BMW service. I have nothing but great experiences when I take my BMW in to have service work done. Some of the experiences have been so good that I have gone out of my way to call BMWNA to let them know.

LeftLane said:
I would favor the Q over the M, or maybe even look at the FX45 as a different choice altogether.

If you are thinking SUV, drive the 4.4 X-5 before you make a decision to buy any other suv. Better yet go out and drive all other suv's then go and drive the X-5. I just test drove an FX45 and I would take my 2 year old X-5 over a brand new FX, even if the FX were free.

I currently drive a 2000 Suburban for work (took it when my wife got a 2003 Burb), and I spend as much on gas as I would a car payment! :( I love the Suburban, but would like something sportier and more fun to drive.

I think it would make a lot of sense to look at the sporty SUVs - X5, Cayenne, FX45, Toureg, MDX - because I do like the space. After being in a 740iL, everything feels too small. :)

Soichiro - I traded a 2003 G35 coupe for my NSX - I really liked the G, but it didn't light my fire like the NSX. It sure was a sweet, tight car, and the exhaust sound was perfect (I had the 6MT).

I keep feeling a pull to an M5, but I'm afraid of BMW from my prior experience. Part of the dealership problem is that there is only 1 in town, so they feel no real sense of urgency to help you out. A lack of competition is a big reason why they suck, IMO. I echo the sentiment that my 740 was an incredible driver's car, just not a good owner's car. :mad:

Have you considered any of MB's cars? If you really feel pulled toward the M5, you might consider the E55. It doesn't look as "old" as the S class but is very refined at the same time. Any of the luxury sport cars (E55, CL) MB offers are wonderful IMO. The new S class with AMG rims does have a little youthfulness about it. I've had nothing but luck with Mercedes and there's been one in my family for the past 30 some years. We've gone through Range Rovers, BMWs, and everything else but always settle with Mercedes. Our big S class ('97 S320) has over 225k miles on it (original trans. and motor) and still runs like new. Interior has help up better than anything I've seen. Good luck and I hope you're happy with whatever you chose! Take care.

Conor

I just got back from driving 2 cars - here are my impressions, and I would love to hear from anyone with experience with these 2:

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro

Black, sport package, 16k miles, aftermarket chrome OZ wheels, in very nice shape

$39,500

Drive was nice, good acceleration, very smooth, steering spot on, awesome Audi symphony stereo, sportshift was cool

Definitely understated, don't know much about Audi but like that it is still under factory warranty and maintenance plan

2000 BMW M5

Anthracite, navi, digital sound, BMW phone, clear shield on front, brand new tires, 34k miles, 1 local owner since new

$49,500

What a beast! I hadn't driven one before, and this thing flat out screams! It makes my NSX seem pedestrian. Definitely the driving sensation I want, plus the styling is one of my all time favorites, and the color is great.

Biggest drawback - it went out of factory warranty 12/03. I can buy an extended for around $2500, so if you add that in, the cost would be around $52k.

I know which way I would lean - any comments on these? $10k+ difference is a lot, especially when the cheaper car is newer with fewer miles and a warranty.

Thanks!

:)

You should get the car that speaks to your soul, the one that you will look forward to driving everyday. For me the best option in any car is the one under my right foot. The BMW M5 will win hands down in most all comparisons you will make in regard to the right foot option.
Comparing an M5 to an A6 is really not an apples to apples deal, IMO. If you want a fair comparison to the M5 you need to line it up with the RS6 or E55AMG which will be about the same performance but more than the M5 in dollars. Then you will see a used M5 for what it really is.... a lot of car for a little money compared to the cost of a new or slightly used RS6 or E55.

LeftLane said:

2000 BMW M5

Anthracite, navi, digital sound, BMW phone, clear shield on front, brand new tires, 34k miles, 1 local owner since new

$49,500

:)

That M5 is overpriced. A friend of mine bought a exact same car-2000 M5 blue with 32K miles for $42k last month in Tyler. They might be able to sell that car for $50k in california, but tell them that not too many people in Tx can afford that car.

personally, I would opt for the the A6 4.2L, I just feel that it would make for a better daily driver than a M5. Sure the M5 is a beast, but that in itself is a problem. Do you really want to commute in a beast with a 6 spd manual.

then, again I wish I could be in your shoe- I need a job like yours:D ;)

NSXLuvr said:
then, again I wish I could be in your shoe- I need a job like yours:D ;)

If I was a doctor in Tyler, maybe I could afford both shoes!:D

Everyone has mentioned that the M5 is about 5k too high, so I'll pass on this one. The Audi is nice, but I would need more seat time to get a better opinion. I'm in zero rush, so I'll continue to post my thoughts.

Back