• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

low RPM power loss

93 NSX -
I posted up a while back during summer about how during hot weather and warm start my NSX would not start. I was told to check the Thermal Wax Seal and Main Relay. That problem was never fixed.

Now in cold weather at low RPM it sounds like the car is bogging down. It idles funny and sounds like its thumping a bit. It feels like the car has 1/2 its power when I am below ~4K RPM. It is difficult to get the car moving some times as I press the pedal and nothing happens then all of a sudden the motor realizes is has gas and jumps. Not smooth at all.

I have stopped to pump gas and so on and the car wont start! everything else works fine and the motor turns but it takes 5 minutes of sitting there before it starts. I dont want to drive it anymore :frown: because I dont want to get stuck.

Ideas? My dad told me to replace the main relay, clean the thrttle body, replace the TWS and replace the sparkplugs. I dunno ...

As weird as it might sound, check the ground cable on the battery. I know that in the past couple days, it's been the coldest in the valley since last winter and my car started to act up. It's simple and easy to check though. Compare the voltage by measuring it at the battery terminals to the voltage you get by measuring at the hatch fuse box and using a chasis ground.

So now it boggs/has no fuel through the whole rpm range. I can't drive it anymore. I popped the main relay out by the ecu, that was super easy. I slid out the relay and on the back there is a spot where its all brown and burned. Should I post a picture? Can I have it resodered? Thanks for being patient everyone

Post a picture up. Good chance it might need to be soldered or replaced. Can you swap out with someone else to check?

Look for hairline cracks in the circuit board lines.

Main relay
IMG00062-20081202-1241.jpg

Battery connections
IMG00068-20081202-1445.jpg

I just ordered a replacement main relay which will be in tomorrow.

I was thinking fuel pump. It does'nt take much fuel PSI loss for the car to run like crap. I've seen cars requiring 50lbs of psi run like crap at 45 psi. The main relay looks terrible. Hope that fixes you up. Even if the relay is the fix, have those terminals cleaned. Thats a big must.:smile:

Definately replace the main relay and I also think the battery terminals shold be removed and cleaned. These are probably the most common problems I have been reading about lately. Wouldn't hurt to run Chevron gas through the tank also to help clean up the fuel system.

my avatar? Idontgetit

I always run chevron 91. How do I clean the battery terminals? remove the spare and then pour water/baking soda or coke on it then hose it off, right?

i'm experiencing/experienced the same, but i know what my problem is. its the rear coil packs. when moisture/water spills through the rear garnish, it looks like it leads right to the rear coils. after a while, the coils start to rust around the seal and allow moisture and water in. Ramon from Niguel Motors figured this out and blew a bunch of water out. then he wrapped the coilpack with electrical tape. it helped a bit, until the next car wash. been surfing for a set of used coil packs, but thinking that i should just get new ones. but at a price of $170+ each, blah... i will have to wait. ebay is selling a set hella cheap, but for 95+ motors. apparently they are different than the 91-94.

about the car not starting, you should try changing out the battery terminals like suggested above. i saw the same. also my radio would turn off in mid drive as well as my head lights. changed the terminal lugs and voila... fixed that issue. still got more to go though :biggrin:

Last edited:
Did you do a voltage check to compare voltage at the terminal posts vs the voltage at the jump start block?

Well, just swap out the main relay. Remove your spare, it's only one bolt that's removable by hand. Clean up the battery any how, it looks pretty nasty, actually really nasty. Remove the old terminals and clean it up with some baking soda and water. Maybe wire brush it a bit to clean up the contact spots a bit. Fire it up and see how she runs.

We'll start there since you already ordered the relay.

The corrosion in my ground cable is so bad that nothing wants to work and I actually temporary ended up using my jumper cable to ground out the negative to the cage surrounding the ABS system. The ground cable is and everything LOOKS in great shape but looks can be deceiving obviously.

As for the Avatar, he meant the picture of your wife that used to be on there.

To those who don't know, sometimes either spouse will use the same account when on prime. So can't just assume it's either one lol

BTW, where are you guys actually from? I never got a straight answer, just a random sorta Modesto to Sacramento.

^^^^^^Oh my mistake.:redface: I thought the girl in the pic. owned the car. No prob.. BTW go buy that GTLW for yourself from Santa.:biggrin:

You are all funny. You think my screen name belongs to my husband?! LOL :wink: I have to tell him that. He hopped on one time when I was already logged on while we were watching TV to see how the local forum was but that was it. Its only me on. He hates myspace which I LOVE :biggrin:

Kool: We live in Modesto. The car was for me to replace my AP1 but my husband likes to drive it occasionally as well. 80% me 20% him.
David F: I want the GTLW. He wants a slip on for his R1. I will win :wink:

You are all funny. You think my screen name belongs to my husband?! LOL :wink: I have to tell him that. He hopped on one time when I was already logged on while we were watching TV to see how the local forum was but that was it. Its only me on. He hates myspace which I LOVE :biggrin:

Kool: We live in Modesto. The car was for me to replace my AP1 but my husband likes to drive it occasionally as well. 80% me 20% him.
David F: I want the GTLW. He wants a slip on for his R1. I will win :wink:
I've had several R1's. Slip ons are reasonable. You get him a slip on he gets you a GTLW:wink:. I thought you were the owner.:smile: Put a pic. of you back up.

well I always knew it was YOUR screen name. But I do remember your husband posting under it also. That's why it can be tough to figure out who is who.

Well you should of said so sooner that you were in modesto! I always go through there every 2 weeks when I head up to Lodi! I live in Merced.

Merced! You're close! I know there is a super fixed up TT NSX around here that was in a tuning mag, its all gold. Other than that one, the guy in Tracy and one or two in Stockton thats all I know

SO ... the new main relay is put in and it fired right up! But the bogging/no gas problem is still there. 1/2 the problem is fixed. So, any ideas on the bogging? It feels like fuel is cutting out or, it's choking, its misfiring or some thing. It does it through all the RPM range.
My husband thinks it either spark plugs, coil or the fuel pump.

Any ideas? :confused:

Yep! You're just a stone's throw away. I was just there the day after Thanksgiving to do some shopping at the Cyclegear :) Bought lots of random stuff! Especially shirts. The asian guy that works there knows me, I've been there before in my nsx. The other males that work there remember me as the asshole who bought like 200+ stickers lol.

Then popped in at the Ducati dealership across the street. They also know my nsx lol.

When was the fuel filter last changed? How many miles?

Last edited:
I will be checking fuel pressure, cleaning the battery and checking the coils tonight. I will post up the results soon thanks!

This is most likely my problem :redface:
IMG00071-20081205-1831.jpg

So is this cross bar supposed to be slanted?
IMG00072-20081205-1832.jpg

Should I remove the bar and pull the battery? Replace the battery? I'm going to clean the contacts with baking soda and water tomorrow. I'm kinda scared of the battery. What cable to I pull first?:tongue:

Battery looks yuck, definitely needs to have the terminals cleaned. Mine look GREAT but I have a bad ground. My problem resides INSIDE The cables though, where you can't visually see it.

That brace is supposed to be slanted (99% sure). Look at the ever end where the bolt goes on the end. See how it's cut at an angle but it still sits perfectly horizontal?

Will you be undertaking this yourself or with assistance from a tool savy helper? BTW, you can service it with the battery left IN the car.

I'd give a hand but I have a funeral to attend in Sac in a few hours (saturday, yeah it's 5:30am and I'm STILL awake). Then Sunday I might have a lunch date but not sure, but I do know I'm heading back through there sunday though. Oh and there's a car show @ a shop saturday (today) in Salida at 4 wheel parts. Supposed to be the import guys (mainly those street racer kid types with primer hoods), 4x4 guys and some low riders. A joint effort car show to collect canned foods. I won't be attending.

Last edited:
Back