Lotus' Mini-NSX coming to the states... in 12.0 sec 1/4 mile trim.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=868&page_number=1

They added power windows, stereo, A/C, to the British version, then put the Toyota 2ZZ engine in it, tuned it for more midrange torque, ended up with 190 hp. (Curb weight is 1975 lbs)

Runs the 0-60 in 4.8 and the quarter in 12.0

(0-60 seems a little slow for the 1/4)

Still hand built, all aluminum, unibody, just like your beloved NSX.

Expected MSRP: $39,000

Not bad considering its going up against the likes of M Roadsters, Porsche Boxter S's and Honda S2000's which can't even dream of touching that 1/4 mile, much less the handling of a 1,900 lb car)

1072003163647.jpg

107200316371.jpg
1072003163955.jpg

1072003163552.jpg
107200316377.jpg

1072003163722.jpg
1072003163639.jpg

Just think how much better this car would have been if they used a 2.0 L S2000 engine instead of a 1.8L Celica... an exta 50HP would be sweet.

ooo!
the honda execs need to be reading this article.

Quick question about Lotus: Have they ever made their own engine?? I know that 2 years ago a company in Cali was bringing over Elises with Type R motors. Did Lotus actually produce any of the power plants in the Esprit? :confused:

With a 1/4 time like that, it will challenge everything from 360 Modena, ZO6, 996TT.... I have always have thought that a light-weight car is a good idea. In my case with the NSX and MR2, I will strip them down as much as possible and still keeping the vehicles street leagl.

Yep, Lotus has been manufacturing the Esprit engine since the beginning in both its original 4 cylinder turbo and most recent V8 twin turbo configuration.

The Elise is finally coming to the US! They've been making it since 1995!

there's a guy in europe put an Audi 2.7 V6 biturbo engine into the elise, I've seen the pictures, but never know how the car runs/handle.
FYI, a stock 2.7T is 260hp w/ 255lb torque, a chip alone will have at least 310hp w/340lb or torque!

NetViper said:
Just think how much better this car would have been if they used a 2.0 L S2000 engine instead of a 1.8L Celica... an exta 50HP would be sweet.

Remember the drivetrain orientations are different in the 2 cars, so the transmission will need to be changed.

One interesting thing to watch for would be whether Lotus starts selling ALL elises with the Celica motor and ceases production of their original Rover engine. The Celica motor performs as well as their race version of the Rover engine, yet meets emissions and is reliable. This not only opens up the american market, but it could also improve their elise line as a whole.

The article says the 1/4 mile time should be around 12 seconds - hardley scientific.

I sat in one at the St. Louis European car show (they were taking orders too). Not a very comfortable place to spend some time IMO. Still should be a hell of a performance car for the money.

I also read this article in this month's R&T. My first thought after seeing the first pic was......

No HIDs?

If you look at the first pic, the Elise has a wicked laugh.....

I dont' know...I kind of like it. It is a cross b/w the ass of a Ferrari and the nose of speed racer. Go speed racer, go speed racer go!

jlindy said:
I dont' know...I kind of like it. It is a cross b/w the ass of a Ferrari and the nose of speed racer. Go speed racer, go speed racer go!

That's not a bad idea for a kit car: Speed Racer's MACH V!!!

They'll continue with the Rover engine in the UK. We're the luck folks that get the Toyota engine. I owned several Esprits here in the states and found them to be the best handling cars ever until I drove an Elise. Wow.... is all I can say. Think of a go-kart for the street and you'll be getting close.

Yes... it is a bit difficult to get in and out of but the grin on your face when you're doing it makes all of the difference. They're not bad for long distance driving but my NSX is, without question, much more comfortable than an Elise. I would put the Elise a step down in creature comforts from my privious 2000 Esprit but one step above all cars I have driven in the "fun" category.

I put a deposit down several months ago and can't wait to get into one.

EG
'03 Silverstone

1/4 mile is not 12 secs.

On s2ki.com, we discussed this and it was decided that the elise does 0-100mph in 12 secs. 1/4 is probably mid 13's.

NSXLuvr said:
1/4 mile is not 12 secs.

On s2ki.com, we discussed this and it was decided that the elise does 0-100mph in 12 secs. 1/4 is probably mid 13's.

Ya, I am about to say, "dang, that is really really fast for so little hp." However, still quick enough to embarass most cars though.

i concur w/ Matteni...

hmmm, I've had the opportunity to spend alot of time in the old gen' Elise and the new gen' one (as of late). One thing comes to mind: GO - KART!

Also, it's def' a car for a southern/warmer climate; otherwise a weekend enthusiast's car.
:)

[wowz, this IS post numero 1-0-0. . . ! And it's officially T-minus 1month till my 'purchase' time. . . !]

I kinda like the Series I styling more than this one. I thought you could already purchase the Elise in the states. It just couldn't be driven on the streets.

NSXLuvr said:
1/4 mile is not 12 secs.

yes, with a 12 sec 1/4 mile or even with a high 12 time, the 0-60 would need to be about 4-4.5 second...in par with F360 and 911 turbo and Viper

as awesome as the car should be, I'd hardly call it a mini-nsx.

where the nsx is smooth and comfortable to drive all day, the esprit will be invigorating but cramped, loud and compromised.

still that's awesome performance.

now if lotus can find a way to actually sell the car for $39K as the article suggested and you can find a dealer to sell you one without a $20K markup (Lotus will have a real limited production problem) I might take the leap of faith and trade in my beloved S2000. But those are some big "if's".

i say even if you find a no markup dealership, hold onto the S2000 for a bit longer. most new cars have problems in their first year....S2000 an exception.

let's wait until they arrive and see how they perform and hold up on quality and reliability. it'll take a year for them smooth out the bumps.....

Attachments

• speed racer poster 2.jpg
    speed racer poster 2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 431
I drove the Elise last weekend and was not impressed. Granted, it was the European version with the Rover engine in it. And I had a passenger in the car as well. But the car was really slow. I felt like I was driving a VW with the 1.8 engine. The car handled ok and was super light.

One thing that I really couldn't get used to was the seat. You couldn't adjust the angle of the back and it leans back really far. I'm used to sitting more upright.

Since it was the Euro car, it didn't have ABS. And the transmission wasn't very smooth. I had a hard time getting into 5th gear. I guess the Toyota engine and transmission should fix that.

Car looked great though. Very small. Much smaller than it appears in the pictures. Oh and you need to contort your body to get in.

Definitely not a full time car. Maybe a weekend car.

The Elise is floating from dealer to dealer. You can call your Lotus dealer to find out when it will be in your area.

Back